Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thinker's Painful Realization of What Went Wrong

thinker

For those who know me on this board, I am not a hater. But I must conclude that one decision, more than any other, has contributed to the sorry state the team is in - trading Champ for Portis and a 2nd round pick.

First, I don't think Gibb's play calling has been horrible the last three weeks as we failed to run out the clock. I think we just aren't able to execute a power running game at the end when we need to. At the heart of that is that Portis simply is not a great power back who is going to grind out 10 yards in three carries with the line stacked at the end of the game. I LOVE Portis, but that's not the kind of back he is. He just isn't a Joe Gibbs kind of back.

When the issue of Bailey leaving the team came up we had a number of offers. Included was the offer of the Broncos to simply give us their pick in the 1st round (17th) straight up for Bailey. If we had taken that deal we could have taken Stephen Jackson (who I think is a Gibbs kind of back) with Denver's pick, taken Jake Grove with our 2nd round pick and had about $50 million in contract money left over to pay for help on the defensive line (that's the money that we paid Portis that we wouldn't have had to pay Jackson).

Frankly if we weren't salivating for Portis and were just trying to get picks, I bet other teams, possibly Cincinnati that wanted Bailey would have given us even more.

Once that decision was made it has led us here. Here is that we have our supposedly awesome OLine (All five starters mostly healthy all year, 4 of 5 starters with BIG contracts) our awesome RB and we can't convert on third and three at the end of a game to run out the clock. I don't think that we should be mislead by the large number of yards Portis has gained. Few of them have been the kind of tough yards we've needed at the most critical times. Again, I love Portis - he just isn't the kind of back we need AND we incredibly overpaid for him. Seattle and Indy couldn't get a second round pick for Shaun Alexander or Edge this past year. The pukes are running well with a no name Marion Barber. So are the Packers. Face it RB's are easy to find. Heck even Gibbs said Ladell was much better than he thought he'd be. Ladell is probably a better Gibbs back than Portis.

People thought it was the Brunell deal that would kill us - but I think it's the Portis deal. Unfortunately from this place there isn't a way out because we have the line we wanted and we have the RB we wanted. And they can't get the job done but we're stuck with their contracts.

It makes sense, but Champ was a bum (and people who know me know I don't hate without facts) I stated that many times during his tenure here. But, the straight up trade made sense, WE made out better. But we gave a 2nd rounder, I agree that was too much (but still not that much). Who knows if we would have gotten or even went after Groove.

We got as good a db in Springs as CB ever is/was. The only reason this thread is here is because Harris has been horrible in replacing Smoot.

Portis is an efficient back and 57 yards away from another 1000 yard season.

Sorry, but I'd have to say our mistake was shoring up the D-Line...but Cortney Brown led us on there...

I understand you thoughtline Thinker. What could have been with a hand full of picks. I think that teams are unwise to tie long term money up in running backs. RB's can be found in almost any draft (not a Portis but a mroe then servicable one). We have a crying need for DL and WR help. and with no 1st round pick next year the chances of getting a impact DL are small. Even in Free Agency DL are a overpaid amd in short supply. We don't miss Champ your point is what we could have gotten instead.

It makes sense, but Champ was a bum (and people who know me know I don't hate without facts) I stated that many times during his tenure here. But, the straight up trade made sense, WE made out better. But we gave a 2nd rounder, I agree that was too much (but still not that much). Who knows if we would have gotten or even went after Groove.

The problem is that Portis is just not the kind of RB that Gibbs' offense can use properly. We got a great RB but one who wasn't ideal for the system that we run.

Actually Portis still can be the back we need. We just need an offense that maximizes his skills and this certainly isn't it.

And Clinton should take the weight off he put on this past offseason.

I just don't know if Gibbs is prepared or should be asked to change his entire offensive system to fit an expensive RB that doesn't really fit the system that all of our main coaches are totally committed to.

We got as good a db in Springs as CB ever is/was. The only reason this thread is here is because Harris has been horrible in replacing Smoot.

Portis is an efficient back and 57 yards away from another 1000 yard season.

Sorry, but I'd have to say our mistake was shoring up the D-Line...but Cortney Brown led us on there...

No that's not why the thread is here. I fully understand that Bailey was leaving no matter what. This isn't about saying we shouldn't have gotten rid of Bailey. That Harris is having a bad year is irrelevant.

The problem is that Portis is just not the kind of RB that Gibbs' offense can use properly. We got a great RB but one who wasn't ideal for the system that we run.

You are correct in the present, but I honestly feel that it has to start to click. Both the scheme and CP will adjust. I believe CP will gain 1800 yds on this team.

But, right now, he is not flourishing.

Even better would have been the Jets who offered Lamont Jordan and a 2nd rounder. Jordan is 230 lbs and can catch the ball real well. With that deal we would have kept our 1st rounder to get whoever and had 2 2nd rounders. I love Portis, he is my favorite Redskin, but when we passed on the Jordan deal I nearly had an anuerism.

the biggest mistake Gibbs made IMO when he came back was to make a lot of moves BEFORE he had a chance to see his existing players on the field.

yes, it would have meant taking your lumps in 2004 while you learned what you have and who you want to go to war with, but isn't that what happened at 6-10 anyway? :)

Ramsey would have played himself into or out of a job based on 16 games.

Ladell Betts would have had a fair chance to carry the load at running back and legitimize the investment of a high pick in him.

And as Thinker said we wouldn't have invested so much in money in Brunell, Portis and a few others that may not end up being part of the ultimate solution here.

I think the pressure to come back and win right away was enormous.

But the proper approach in retrospect would have been to say this was a 5-11 team Gibbs was inheriting and people would have to be patient as he built up a new team from the ground, laying the foundation one step at a time.

I don't think the problem is Gibbs's offense or Portis's running style. I think the problem is that 6'6" 330lbs Derrick Dockery is too slow to pull for the outside runs that Portis excells at.

but how many times has portis cost us a game? he fumbled twice, which def. hurt us. i would pin that on him, but otherwise, i've never found myself saying "damnit portis, you need to show more hustle." the man is a beast, and we have betts, rock, and nemo behind him. bring one of them in to barrel past 3rd and 1. have you seen those guys? they're no bettis, but they are certainly solid.

Not tough yards? Okay, here's our last few series:

1-10-WAS25 (14:04) C.Portis right end to WAS 28 for 3 yards (Q.Jammer).

2-7-WAS28 (13:24) C.Portis right end to WAS 30 for 2 yards (D.Edwards).

3-5-WAS30 (12:49) (Shotgun) M.Brunell pass incomplete to R.Royal.

4-5-WAS30 (12:45) D.Frost punts 39 yards to SD 31, Center-E.Albright. E.Parker to SD 33 for 2 yards (C.Clemons).

PENALTY on WAS-P.Prioleau, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at WAS 30 - No Play.

4-15-WAS20 (12:34) D.Frost punts 41 yards to SD 39, Center-E.Albright, fair catch by E.Parker.WAS-J.Farris was injured during the play.

PENALTY on SD-Q.Jammer, Illegal Block Above the Waist, 10 yards, enforced at SD 39.

1-10-WAS14 (11:11) C.Portis right guard to WAS 15 for 1 yard (R.Godfrey).

2-9-WAS15 (10:32) C.Portis left tackle to WAS 22 for 7 yards (L.Castillo).

3-2-WAS22 (9:49) (Shotgun) M.Brunell pass incomplete to T.Jacobs.

4-2-WAS22 (9:42) D.Frost punts 33 yards to SD 45, Center-E.Albright, fair catch by E.Parker.

1-10-WAS16 (8:03) C.Portis right end to WAS 22 for 6 yards (S.Foley).

2-4-WAS22 (7:19) C.Portis left guard to WAS 25 for 3 yards (I.Olshansky).

3-1-WAS25 (6:42) C.Portis right end to WAS 26 for 1 yard (J.Williams).

1-10-WAS26 (6:20) M.Brunell pass incomplete to R.Royal.

2-10-WAS26 (6:14) M.Brunell pass to T.Jacobs pushed ob at WAS 37 for 11 yards (D.Florence).

1-10-WAS37 (5:43) C.Portis right end to WAS 41 for 4 yards (J.Williams).

2-6-WAS41 (5:00) C.Portis right tackle to WAS 41 for no gain (S.Cooper).

3-6-WAS41 (4:51) (Shotgun) M.Brunell FUMBLES (Aborted) at WAS 30, ball out of bounds at WAS 30.

4-17-WAS30 (4:40) D.Frost punts 37 yards to SD 33, Center-E.Albright, fair catch by E.Parker.

1-10-WAS27 (3:25) C.Portis up the middle to WAS 30 for 3 yards (I.Olshansky).

2-7-WAS30 (2:53) M.Brunell pass to T.Jacobs pushed ob at WAS 33 for 3 yards (D.Florence).

3-4-WAS33 (2:48) (Shotgun) M.Brunell sacked at WAS 33 for 0 yards (S.Phillips).

4-4-WAS33 (2:39) D.Frost punts 38 yards to SD 29, Center-E.Albright. E.Parker to SD 29 for no gain (M.Bowen).

1-10-SD31 (1:04) C.Portis to SD 25 for 6 yards (B.Jue, D.Florence).

2-4-SD25 (:55) C.Portis right end to SD 25 for no gain (L.Castillo).

PENALTY on WAS-C.Rabach, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at SD 25 - No Play.

2-14-SD35 (:50) C.Portis left end to SD 35 for no gain (R.Godfrey).

3-14-SD35 (:40) M.Brunell pass incomplete to C.Cooley (S.Merriman).

4-14-SD35 (:35) J.Hall 52 yard field goal is No Good, Wide Right, Center-E.Albright, Holder-D.Frost.

San Diego Chargers at 00:30

Now tell me its Portis' fault we lost the game.

He had 13 carries for 37 yards in those last few series....

Two words: General and Manager . And then a little bit more....

A bona fide GM would have told Gibbs that Betts would have been the perfect back in his type of system. Anyone who's watched Betts knows that the man is NOT a third-down back. When Gibbs said that he thought Betts was a third-down back, I knew there would be trouble in the player-personnel-who-to-put-on-the-field category.

As for Bailey, I think he had to go. His attitude was not healthy for the team, and all we was about was the $$$. I'm not so sure that getting Portis was a major error. The most important and glaring error, at least to me, has been the failure on the part of Jack Lemon and and Walter Mathua, our offensive coordinators, to utilize him properly.

Gibbs as team president, yes. We need someone to neutralize Snyder, and Gibbs has done a great job of that. But we need a real GM, and badly. And, as importantly, we need an offensive coordinator in the worst possible way.

Since 2001 the Redskins have traded away far too many draft picks. We have no middle depth, no 3rd and 4th year players that are coming on to be pro bowlers for us.

Those we do have, Taylor Jacobs, Derrick Dockery, Robert Royal are guys that would not be playing regularly on a team like the Colts.

Can any team in the league that play really good opponents run the ball 3 straight times and get 1st downs without fail late in the game? I highly doubt it. Otherwise, you would run every single down of the game. Good teams nowadays have to mix it up. I can't really think of any games where the Patriots just ran it every single down to close out a game successfully. I do remember them spreading the ball out, a little more conservatively but still aggressive enough to move the chains.

As shown by the play by play above, Portis actually made some really good runs at the end of the game. The problem is that it is not possible to run it over and over again and get 1st downs unless we have the Hogs and we are playing inferior opponents.

Hindsight...getting the draft pick and taking Stephen Jackson does sound good. Like you, I like CP alot... I don't think we have the personell to run the type of Oline Portis would be "most" successful behind..like he was in Denver. But, as I've said in another post/thread..I think Clinton is a talented enough back to succeed in any running style/scheme and can get it done..but far as being "most" successful? can we borrow Denvers Oline/scheme? lol

Archived