Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why is that . . .

goldenster95

. . . when we lose (close games), out come numerous posters who're pushing for major changes or making panicked statements? Trade Portis? Trade Lavar? Start Campbell? Bench Brunell because he's not doing well? :doh:

To be sure, even if we won the last three games, we do need some changes. For instance, we need a pass rushing DE. We also need someone to replace that stiff Walt Harris. That said, just because we're losing does not warrant some major upheaval on our squad. Indeed, sometimes the best solution is to do little, if nothing, at all.

And that's the case here. Other than the changes we needed when we were 3-0, I doubt if there's anything more we can do both on offense and defense other than the playcalling. Yes, maybe, just maybe, we shouldn't have been so conservative when we had a lead. Mixing in a few short throws here and there in between Portis carrying the ball might've been the way to go. But who's to say that that's any better than what was employed? Throwing the ball and being less conservative have the very big downsides of turnovers and clock stoppage. To be sure, it's nice to go for the jugular. But if you do so at by taking some risks you can otherwise avoid by doing things like running the ball, don't blame Gibbs for his GENERAL gameplan that he's used in the past three games. Gibbs may need to tinker with the gameplan for his offense when holding a lead in the fourth quarter, but to say that some major changes are needed is absurd.

Finally, let's go to Gregg Williams. How many people have been calling for his head lately? Yes, the defense has been burned by some big plays, but that's something more attributable to poor execution (save for things like Lemar Marshall covering Jerry Porter) than it is to his poor gameplanning.

Williams' blitzes not working? Well, how else do we generate a pass rush? Ever think that Williams did (and is doing) a whole lot more with the pittance of a defensive line we have (other than Cornelius Griffin)? Can you think of anyone else who could do as good if not a better job than Williams has? Until you come up with that answer, get a grip and realize that Williams is getting the most out of a squad that's pretty good in the back seven, but relatively poor on the front line.

In sum, losing like we have always prompts some deep reflection on the current state of affairs. To say that we need to do something drastic, however, does not necessarily follow. The games have been close and a play here and there would've changed the outcome in all three of our last games. We need to realize that we're generally doing the best we can do and that some touch-ups are more that are in order here. Let's all get a grip here.

I agree that we don't need drastic changes. I stand by my theory that we seem to play to the level of our opponent each week, wheather they are very good or very bad. And we either just sqeak out a win or a loss...lately it has been the loss department.

This theory of course has its exceptions in the 49ers and the Giants.

I agree that we don't need drastic changes. I stand by my theory that we seem to play to the level of our opponent each week, wheather they are very good or very bad. And we either just sqeak out a win or a loss...lately it has been the loss department.

This theory of course has its exceptions in the 49ers and the Giants.

I tend to agree with you and the original post as well.

dontstop.jpg

Archived