Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Redskins are on the way up!

Redskins Believer

If we don't make the playoffs this year, I am not worried. I have seen this progress before with the Redskins in Gibbs first go around. We need to make some cuts (Royal sucks, Samuels looks pathetic, Jimoh, etc.); I think if we get rid of these inconsistent players and add some with talent we will be on our way next year. The Redskins have players that are playing their hearts out (S. Taylor, M. Washington, Arrington, etc.) but the offense has been too inconsistent. If we can shore up the left side of the offensive line, add another dangerous running back, tight end and receiver, and replace Walt Harris with a shut-down cornerback, we will be back in business.

I couldn't believe the drops Royal was making yesterday. He was pathetic!

I still believe in the Redskins and am looking forward to next year, but I hope they do some damage the rest of this year.

There's something to be said for going toe-to-toe with some of the best in the NFL week in and week out. We've played much more competitively vs. tougher competition this year than we did a year ago including:

Outplaying and beating Seattle, outplaying Kansas City in Arrowhead, playing competitively with Denver in Denver, beating two division teams in one season (sounds dumb but it's been a while!), outplaying TB on the road, ouplaying SD for most of the game...

That's the biggest difference so far in year 2, we've learned to outplay teams. That's step 2 of 3. Last year, we stayed competitive for a lot of the games before losing. This year we've held leads and, at times, dominated long portions of games. Next year we have to learn how to close the games.

If we don't make the playoffs this year, I am not worried. I have seen this progress before with the Redskins in Gibbs first go around. We need to make some cuts (Royal sucks, Samuels looks pathetic, Jimoh, etc.); I think if we get rid of these inconsistent players and add some with talent we will be on our way next year. The Redskins have players that are playing their hearts out (S. Taylor, M. Washington, Arrington, etc.) but the offense has been too inconsistent. If we can shore up the left side of the offensive line, add another dangerous running back, tight end and receiver, and replace Walt Harris with a shut-down cornerback, we will be back in business.

I still believe in the Redskins and am looking forward to next year, but I hope they do some damage the rest of this year.

Problem with that scenerio is... we just re-uped Samuels, so he isnt going anywhere (HUGE Cap Hit).

We dont have the draft picks or the cap space to add all the pieces we need to win.

Its gonna be a while my friends

Didn't see much of the game yesterday. Was Samuels bad?

Im sure someone will disagree with me but I honestly feel that both the O-line and D-line played very well yesterday. Keep in mind the O-line had to go against one of the best D's in the league. They came in leading the NFL in sacks, and correct me if I'm wrong but I think the chargers only had 1 sack yesterday. They didnt run block great, but they did as well as could be expected.....However they opened up a whole for Rock the size of the grand canyon which resulted in a TD. As far as mark throwing the ball, he for the most part had enough time to make his reads and throw the ball, they did hurry him some, But, the chargers get paid also and they got a damn good D. Chris samuels did not do to bad against the chargers in my opinion. However he has had some bad games this year so even if he makes 1 or 2 bad plays everyone will describe his overall performance as awful. Which isnt the case, he held his own yesterday against a very strong D. This loss cannot be placed on the O-line or the D-line or the secondary or 95% of our offence. This loss, in my opinion, was due to several drops by TE robert royal, a critical drop on a third down that hit him right in the numbers that would have moved the sticks. I also attribute this loss to the holding penalty at the end of the game on center casey rabach that pushed us out of decent FG range(though still Makeable). And I also attribut this loss to John hall missing his field goal.... Those would be the top three reasons...in that order, in my opinion.

There's something to be said for going toe-to-toe with some of the best in the NFL week in and week out. We've played much more competitively vs. tougher competition this year than we did a year ago including:

Outplaying and beating Seattle, outplaying Kansas City in Arrowhead, playing competitively with Denver in Denver, beating two division teams in one season (sounds dumb but it's been a while!), outplaying TB on the road, ouplaying SD for most of the game...

That's the biggest difference so far in year 2, we've learned to outplay teams. That's step 2 of 3. Last year, we stayed competitive for a lot of the games before losing. This year we've held leads and, at times, dominated long portions of games. Next year we have to learn how to close the games.

Step 2 of 3 .. I like that!! :applause:

I've never thought of it that way but now that you've mentioned it.. It does seem very reasonable that the Redskins are in a 3 step process right now.

I just hope the process includes a 10-6 season and a division champ or wildard playoff berth.

If we can shore up the left side of the offensive line, add another dangerous running back, tight end and receiver, and replace Walt Harris with a shut-down cornerback, we will be back in business.

Why not just get a new team. Come on, get real....how many great offensive lineman, dangerous running backs, tight ends, receivers and shut down corners will be available in the off season that we can afford.

We need to develop what we have.

And look how much better we became after just 2 short years, we have beat the best in the nfc, just wish we could of won them afc games now. Regardless, we have beat the west and north champs and won in dallas, no other coach could of done that for us this year.

Considering our cap situation, I think we need to trade straight up players for players. It will cost us some in signing bonus money. I just heard that Marriucci got fired. Trading Ramsey and Arrington for one of Detroit's receivers would be a great move. They have no QB and there's an abundant of receivers there. I know all of you Arrington fans will think it's crazy, but what has he done since the 49er game? He was out of position on both of Tomlinsons long runs. He IMO is expendable.

The problem with this tale is that as soon as Jason Campbell begins starting games, we officially enter another "rebuilding year."

Yes, occasionally teams do well with first-time starters at the helm. Pittsburgh last year. Chicago this year. But it's a dangerous way to live and you need a heck of a team around the young guy.

Add another dangerous running back? I don't agree with you on that one. Portis is as dangerous as they get, and betts is a good compliment to him when he gets winded, the problem doesn't lie there

TD, I did what most of us did, got bright starry lights in my eyes that I didn't expect at the beginning of the year. But what I don't do is blame that less-than-realistic choice on my part on the team, or let it distort my sense of what has been accomplished. We do have to take note of weak areas, and just like last year, that includes the coaches performance. I saw them do exactly that after last year, and we all can think about that fact. There were an awful lot of loose nuts and bolts on this team and we did a lot of things within our resources to tighten and improve a number of poorly-functioning parts.

Now we still have five games left which will affect the meaningfulness of comments made today, pro or con. But regardless of how those games go, I expect these coaches and this staff to identify and address the team's weaknesses, and their own, and continue to adjust and repair this machine that's been in disrepair for years. I won't expect it to be done perfectly. I remember wise people saying it could take 4-5 years to bring things back around. Like others, I just want it now. But I don't need to let that understandable feeling turn me into a foolish and miserable fan for more than a few hours :laugh: .

All the progress you noted is just that, and it's real and it counts. We don't seem to be destined at this point (barring some miracle) to make this a one-year Cinderalla turnaround story, if we ever make it a turnaround story at all. But if the season were ending today, I'd go into this off-season pleased with a lot of things, hopeful again (43 years running now), and still realistically confident that these coaches will crank it up another notch. My big deal now is that we play well and at our best the remaining five games.

Just like at our own work, when things aren't going well with the organzation, or co-workers have hurt the cause, we still are honor-bound to go and give the best we have and treat others with respect. If behaving otherwise can actually change things for the better I'd maybe endorse it.

While I believe in the healthy value of venting, I've never seen extended whining, exaggerated negativity, or mean-spirited castigating influence a front office's decisions or help any organizatrion in any way, other than to fire the so-described person. IMO, it's very self-indulgent, non-productive, and childish behavior that only satisfies the misery-loves-company need.

The problem with this tale is that as soon as Jason Campbell begins starting games' date=' we officially enter another "rebuilding year."

Yes, occasionally teams do well with first-time starters at the helm. Pittsburgh last year. Chicago this year. But it's a dangerous way to live and you need a heck of a team around the young guy.[/quote']

"rebuilding year"!!! that very familiar phrase makes me sick, lets try to keep that outta this site.

Considering our cap situation, I think we need to trade straight up players for players. It will cost us some in signing bonus money. I just heard that Marriucci got fired. Trading Ramsey and Arrington for one of Detroit's receivers would be a great move. They have no QB and there's an abundant of receivers there. I know all of you Arrington fans will think it's crazy, but what has he done since the 49er game? He was out of position on both of Tomlinsons long runs. He IMO is expendable.

Leave Levar out of this. We like him. He can stay.

I just heard that Marriucci got fired.

I don't know about everyone else, but I for one hate it when an organization fires a coach during the season. I didn't like it when Snyder did it to Turner (especially when they could have still made the playoffs) and I don't think this is a good move for Millen either.

Good coaching staff will make this team better. Talent is there, they just are not playing well this year. Too many changes in the last five years. Consistent coaches, coaches learning to make changes to their game plan and play calling. If they learn from their mistakes this year, hopefully we will finally get to see burgundy and gold in the playoff group. Now I know how the Bengals, Seahawks, Bears,and other losing teams in the past must of felt. The coaches have made a difference, and I think ours will as well. This year is over, so lets see who really wants to make this team next year.

great post seems like 95% of the people on here have nothing to say but we suck and its all over

unfortunately samuels is a self proclaimed "redskins for life" and we cant cut him or we have no money and i think with betts and portis we are just fine...we need a DECENT tight end a DECENT #2 receiver and maybe some tweaking of the o-line's left side...biggest offseason money needs to go into a good DE but i think rogers can start taking over for harris at corner and everything else looks good enough to get where we want to go

this team is DEFINATELY on the way up and is getting better...im glad there are some other positive people out there :logo:

Archived