Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Portis has 8 runs of 20 or more yards in 2 years....

This is still the biggest mystery of the Clinton Portis Era. He no longer breaks ANY big runs. In Denver he had 24 runs of 20 or more yards in two years. Here, he has 8.

Granted, Denver's scheme may have something to do with that as Tatum Bell has 8 big runs this year in somewhat limited use.

But you would think that he would accidently break a big one once in a while.

Our O-Line is not Denver's. Our running scheme is not Denver's, and we do not have Plummer and the passing game of Denver. Portis has shown he's not a system back but he's also shown he's not a franchise back. He's a RB that can get a few Pro Bowls and have some nice years but he'll never be confused with LT, Edge, or Shaun Alexander.

:dallasuck :eaglesuck :gaintsuck

Our O-Line is not Denver's. Our running scheme is not Denver's, and we do not have Plummer and the passing game of Denver. Portis has shown he's not a system back but he's also shown he's not a franchise back. He's a RB that can get a few Pro Bowls and have some nice years but he'll never be confused with LT, Edge, or Shaun Alexander.

That's going to be the on-going debate. Is it Portis or is it the system?

I would like to be in the parallel universe where Shaun Alexander plays here and see how his numbers compare.

The extra weight has has an impact on his breakaway speed. He seems to get caught from behind all the time when he does break one, and why does it seem he trips over himself :D

Thats true but he is getting used to the weight he isn't tripping over his own feet as much and is starting to show better balance. Our running game in general just stinks.

i'm sorry, but i'm starting to believe that CP may be a bit overrated. He is a very good RB but he is not great, and is not in the elite class with LT, Edge, Priest, and S. Alexander.. To be honest, right now he's not even as good as Tiki. I think he really has to get serious about his conditioning during the offseason so he can develop into the beast that we all know he can be.

Granted' date=' Denver's scheme may have something to do with that as Tatum Bell has 8 big runs this year in somewhat limited use.QUOTE']

Here's an important question.

If the Denver Broncos have an unstoppable "scheme" then why doesn't every team in the league run the same "scheme?" I mean it should be easy enough to copy. It's on television for everyone in the world to see.

This is the reason I don't think it has anything to do with the scheme. It has to do with the fact that Denver has good talent evaluators, and they find good runners and O-Linemen. The Redskins O-Line is nothing like Denvers. The only O-linemen I hope we don't replace this year are Jansen and Rabach. The rest of them all need to go.

I'm not sure any running back has the capability to be a super-stud with an O-Line like ours.

That's going to be the on-going debate. Is it Portis or is it the system?

I would like to be in the parallel universe where Shaun Alexander plays here and see how his numbers compare.

In my eyes there is no debate, CP is a very good RB nothing more. Give him a better O-Line and his numbers will sky rocket, give him a avg. O-Line and he's a 1300 yd back, which is like I said very good. I just look at the games and don't see play maker the why I look at the other elite RB's.

LT-Incredible all round back best since Barry but not as good

Edge-Can kill you either running or catching

Alexander-Incredible patience and gets stronger as the game goes.

IMO CP doesn't have any of these traits that the true elite have, and it is slowly becoming clear that we overpaid for him.

:dallasuck :eaglesuck :gaintsuck

This is the reason I don't think it has anything to do with the scheme. It has to do with the fact that Denver has good talent evaluators, and they find good runners and O-Linemen.

I tend to agree with this. They are pretty good at finding guys who fit what they do. Hell, Ron Dayne seems to be their type of back.

Jason

This is still the biggest mystery of the Clinton Portis Era. He no longer breaks ANY big runs. In Denver he had 24 runs of 20 or more yards in two years. Here' date=' he has 8.

Granted, Denver's scheme may have something to do with that as Tatum Bell has 8 big runs this year in somewhat limited use.

But you would think that he would accidently break a big one once in a while.[/quote']

WOW... interesting stat.

I wish the coaching staff was more willing to change the rushing attack to fit his style of running. We are wasting his talents at a time when he should be dominating the league.... window closes quickly on RB's... look at Jamal Lewis.

This is still the biggest mystery of the Clinton Portis Era. He no longer breaks ANY big runs. In Denver he had 24 runs of 20 or more yards in two years. Here' date=' he has 8.

But you would think that he would accidently break a big one once in a while.[/quote']

Good point and you damn near to the words out of my mouth. See below passage. Posted on thread We'll we make the playoffs:

I wouldn't say there's a Coaching disconnect, especially not on Coach Gibbs behalf, but one would have to wonder what the conduct of analyses up to game prep is from the assistants and what back briefs are they providing to

Coach Gibbs, Coach Williams and company? What adjustments are being made at half time based on that game prep and things they've seen during 1st half, things they didn't see but may see in the 2d.

Go all the way back to a 1 minute and a second left in TB, TB hadn't been running the ball effectively all game, ball's inside their own 45 yd line and no time outs, a field goal wouldn't do, but some how we didn't believe they were going to go for the TD. Raiders scouted, as part of their game prep, our 2 Tampa pass coverage. They (Raiders) told their assistants let us know when/ if you see this coverage in the 1st half and keep looking through-out the game.

Well they saw it, relayed it down to the sideline and they coached up Collins and the WRs result Mike LB on a WR, TD! Not Coach Williams fault something we just need to work through. Yesterday, 3d and 2 , ball inside our own 40 3d QTR it's okay to pass, but jeez don't just jump in the shot gun and give our intent away, instead run a play action and go for the high percentage pass...nothings wrong with that.

Then CP runs the ball down to the 25 yd line and gives us an opportunity for a high percentage FG attempt, with seconds remaining in the game, but our assistant Coaches thinking we're comfortable with our offense elect to get the ball closer, result 5-6 schedule and a test of our character to be determined. Name me one NFL team that wouldn't have kicked the ball in that situation---a 42yd field goal. No one’s fault just a decision making process that we all need to work through.

Look CP is best used in the I formation where he can better see the field make adjustments on the run, in-zone blocking and choose his cut backs. So this is not a blame game. It’s just an observation based off of what I see. I'm Skins through and through. But one has to wonder about how we think we're best using CP. Closing argument look at LTs stats and look at CPs its about a 100yd difference , LTs average is higher and his long has a delta of 20 yds with 17 TDs. Our decision making process on how we're using CP has room for discussion. Rotate Rock Cartwright, Cooley, Sellers, Royal, at the point and mix Betts with it.

Yeah I'm a Skins fan through and through, but it's rough right now. Not because we aren't a good football team but because we have some disconnects out there that we haven't solved yet. Closing argument look at LT's stats , he has 100 yds there about difference , 17 TDs and his delta in longest run is about 20 yds then look at CP's but they're pretty much identical...difference is that LT has longer runs. Why? Well you make the call. I'm not in the club house and not real close to sideline activity but this is what it looks like. I mean you got professional assistants making decisions out there that are well, scary. This is not a critical e-mail but sometimes you don’t see what you think you see and that has to be brought to ones attention. I love our Redskins and I refuse to just sit back and take these hits. So right now we’re all down together but we’re coming back up. Go Skins and Hail!

This is the 12th man and that's all I know!

I tend to agree with this. They are pretty good at finding guys who fit what they do. Hell, Ron Dayne seems to be their type of back.

Jason

I was hating to see how Denver was using Ron Dayne against the Cowboys on thanks giving. After he ran for his TD I was saying "He has 4 rushes for 36 yards, and a TD late in the 3rd quarter. Shouldn't they have given him the ball more than 4 times." Or at least they should have given it to more from that point on. Yet they only gave it to him 3 more times throughout the game. He finished with an average of 14 yards per carry. Why didn't he get it more than 7 times?

I was hating to see how Denver was using Ron Dayne against the Cowboys on thanks giving. After he ran for his TD I was saying "He has 4 rushes for 36 yards, and a TD late in the 3rd quarter. Shouldn't they have given him the ball more than 4 times." Or at least they should have given it to more from that point on. Yet they only gave it to him 3 more times throughout the game. He finished with an average of 14 yards per carry. Why didn't he get it more than 7 times?

Thought he came in late in the game more like toward the waning minutes of the 4th QTR? I may be wrong but their primary RB got hurt.

The only O-linemen I hope we don't replace this year are Jansen and Rabach. The rest of them all need to go.

I'm not sure any running back has the capability to be a super-stud with an O-Line like ours.

I agree with you that our offensive line is clearly not very effective at run blocking for whatever reason.

However, you say that you would like Thomas, Dockery and Samuels replaced and I have to ask how are we going to do that?

He is in the top 10 as far as Yards and has a 4.2 YPC.

I would say that is a good year so far.

that's because our line is big and physical

Portis only takes what the line gives him, never gets any extra yards himself

although everyone wants to hate on our offensive line around here, the truth is, it's big, and it looked very good yesterday

Samuels has problems with speed rushers, what tackle in the league doesn't?

other than that, Samuels and Jansen are beast run blockers, Dockery is average, Thomas is a beast, and Rabach is above average

i'm sorry, but i'm starting to believe that CP may be a bit overrated. He is a very good RB but he is not great, and is not in the elite class with LT, Edge, Priest, and S. Alexander.. To be honest, right now he's not even as good as Tiki. I think he really has to get serious about his conditioning during the offseason so he can develop into the beast that we all know he can be.

Portis spends too much time in the clubs to be serious on gameday. When you are out drinking and partying on Friday nights it has an effect on you come Sunday. He is not focused and it shows on the field with dropped passes, fumbles and subpar vision.

The only player i see downfield blocking even is CP. He is a hardnose football player, and he gets an A in my book. He still puts up 100 yard games, and he is still getting 1,000 yards a season. All with 3 and 4 yard runs. He is becoming a workhorse back for us.

Archived