Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

*Offensive Playcalling - Breakdown*

AlexRS

I analyzed our offensive playcalling in the last game. It is actually worse than I thought. I am missing 1 incomplete pass attempt somewhere (perhaps the knee in the end of half?) Other than that everything seems to add up:

13 drives

15 First downs

Drives where Shotgun on 3rd down is the last play of drive: 10

Out of those, 5 (five!) were with 5 or less yards to go, 2 with 6 yards to go.

Repeat: 7 shotguns on 3rd down with 6 or less yards to go

Number of shotguns on 3rd down: 12 (!) (remember, 3 for 14 on 3rd down)

Number of 1st downs attained out of shotgun on 3rd down: 2 (!)

Breakdown of passing plays:

Passes on 1st and 2nd downs:

2nd and 12 - 18 yards

1st and 10 - 5 yards

2nd and 8 - 2 yards

1st and 10 - incomplete (Royal)

1st and 10 - 17 yards

2nd and 5 - 6 yards

1st and 10 - 22 yards, TD

1st and 10 - 14 yards

2nd and 17 - 5 yards

*2nd and 9 - SACK

1st and 10 - 16 yards

2nd and 8 - 14 yards

1st and 10 - incomplete

2nd and 10 - 23 yards

1st and 10 - incomplete

2nd and 10 - 11 yards

-----------------------------

Total: 16 plays, 12 for 15, 153 yards, TD

Passes on 3rd down:

3 and 11 - SHOTGUN, incomplete

3 and 9 - SHOTGUN, 5 yards (no 1st down)

3 and 3 - SHOTGUN, incomplete

3 and 6 - SHOTGUN, 3 yards (no 1st down)

3 and 10 - SHOTGUN, WORKED!!! 17 yards

3 and 5 - SHOTGUN, incomplete

3 and 17 - SHOTGUN, incomplete

3 and 12 - SHOTGUN, WORKED!!! 13 yards

3 and 5 - SHOTGUN, incomplete

3 and 2 - SHOTGUN, incomplete

*3 and 6 - SHOTGUN, no attempt

*3 and 4 - SHOTGUN, no attempt

3 and 14 - incomplete

----------------------------------------

Total: 11 plays, 4 for 11, 38 yards.

13 drives.

Started with Run - 11 drives

Started with Pass - 2 drives (1 TD)

Started with Run-Run - 7 drives

Scoring Drives, plays and yards:

1st Drive, 6 plays 23 yards:

Run (-2), Pass (18), run, run, pass, FG

2nd Drive, 7 plays 69 yards:

Pass (inc), Run (2), Pass (17), Pass (17), Run (5), Pass (6), Pass (22)

3rd Drive, 9 plays, 79 yards:

Run (1), Pass (sack, -2), Pass (13), Pass (16), Run (2), Pass (14), Pass (inc), Pass (23), Run (13).

I could stop now... it's pretty clear how 3 scoring drives are different from all other drives... last bit..

Non-Scoring drives... run-run-pass in Italic

run-run-pass

run-run-pass

run-pass-run-run-pass

pass-run-run-pass-pass

run-run-pass-run-run-pass

run-pass-pass

run-run-pass

run-run-pass

run-run-run-pass-pass...run-run-pass

run-pass-pass

run-run-pass

I've always felt that running twice on first and second down just killed any momentum we had going and these stats really show that. The problem is that we're just so predictable, so none of these runs gain very much. Then we end up having to convert 3rd and long after 3rd and long just to keep the drive going.

It seems the main problem is we do not get enough yards on first and second downs. If you have that many third downs then that is not good.

I hate how in the 4th our drives are run, run, incomplete pass, punt, reminds me of Gibbs back in the day, the years we didn't go to the superbowl.

That TD drive in the third I believe was mainly passing, when we open it up we are a scary offense, it is when we get conservative is when we have issues.

It seems the main problem is we do not get enough yards on first and second downs. If you have that many third downs then that is not good.

I hate how in the 4th our drives are run, run, incomplete pass, punt, reminds me of Gibbs back in the day, the years we didn't go to the superbowl.

That TD drive in the third I believe was mainly passing, when we open it up we are a scary offense, it is when we get conservative is when we have issues.

but what about shotguns on 3rd and 2, 3, 4? I thought that getting into a 3rd and short on 2 runs is pretty good.

Why do we run the shotgun on 3rd down so much? I have never seen us hand it off to Portis from the shotgun... Wouldn't we want to at least have them think it *might* be a run?

And if the whole idea is to set up long passes on 1st and 2nd down, then why did we go for those on only 2 drives?

We get them were we want them, but do not do anything with that.

If you are going to grind out your yards - why shotgun on 3rd and short?

If you are going to set them up by running on 1st and 2nd downs - then where are the bombs?

Why do we run the shotgun on 3rd down so much? I have never seen us hand it off to Portis from the shotgun... Wouldn't we want to at least have them think it *might* be a run?

Yeah, that has me scratching my head as well. You'd think we'd have a running play every once in a while from that formation to keep defenses honest. As I said in my post, we aren't good enough to tell the defense what we are going to do on a given play.

Jason

I don't understand the shotgun on 3rd and 2. We have the second highest paid running back in the league and the coaches don't believe in him on 3rd in 2..? I have seen it in a few games now. If they don't believe Portis can pick up 2 pathetic yards on 3rd and 2 then whey the hell did they pay him all that money? :doh:

Using the Shotgun on third and two probably isn't smart. About half your calls should be runs and the other half play-action.

However, no one is going to buy play-action on third and four or longer, so why not give your QB a break and put him seven yards back in the Gun?

Earlier in the year, we had unusually good success operating from the Shotgun on third down.

We ran from that formation only once that I recall...fourth quarter, Giants ahead 36-0, Ramsey at QB, Portis picked up eight yards.

I've always felt that running twice on first and second down just killed any momentum we had going and these stats really show that. The problem is that we're just so predictable, so none of these runs gain very much. Then we end up having to convert 3rd and long after 3rd and long just to keep the drive going.

i've said it a million times, its amazing that we can move the ball while being so predictable. the fans knew we wanted to run on first down and the opponents knew we wanted to run, yet we did. i guess the worse thing about it is that if we got 4+yds on the first run, we would definately run it on the next play. it was almost better to lose yards or get 1-3 so we would throw the ball. also the first down pass was usually a conservative max protect throw to 1 or 2 recievers. we made it easy for them, yet we could move the ball despite that. i can see how gibbs and friends can have a "what we do works" mentality. :laugh:

can someone tell me what is up with that damn bunch formation.... the one where we have all 11 guys inside the hash marks... we must have run that formation all 4th quarter....

that my friends is not only predictable but idiotic. Portis has absolutely NOWHERE to run

What they do used to work. Back when their team was more talented than the other. They could line up with superior players, be predictable, and still run over people. You can't do that anymore. Teams are too even in talent. And I think that our O-line needs to learn to step it up in the 4th quarter when we have a lead. They need to look at the 4th quarter like a playoff game, and play at their highest level. Then again they don't know what being in the playoffs is like. I do think we are definitely improved from last year, but we are still missing a few parts. On the bright side if we need to change our name, we can be called the Washington run run pass punts. It kind of has a ring to it. :(

great effort on those stats.. the playcalling can best be described as conservative.. with a 7 point lead one cannot win in the NFL calling conservative plays.. it's a proven fact.. the adjustment this week needs to be made internally with the coaching staff's observations and decisions during a game.. the players have the talent , minus a few "a la Royale" :lol to execute against any defense or offense in the league but the way the coaching staff has them initially setup @ times is wrong..

I don't know if many folks know, but the use of the shotgun is up to the QB. Almost every play in the book has the option for the QB to be under center or go from the gun, and he makes the choice in the huddle. There was a story about it posted here a month or so ago. Sorry, but I couldn't find it.

My only point is, If your tired of the long third downs and conversion rate from the gun, blame Brunell not the coaches. If you watched Brunell as long as I (Jags games) have you would know that he loves the shotgun. He was thrilled when it was added this year.

What they do used to work. Back when their team was more talented than the other. They could line up with superior players, be predictable, and still run over people. You can't do that anymore. Teams are too even in talent. :(

I was thinking about that last night before I went to bed. It's not 1981, 1982, 1987, or 1991 anymore. The talent level is too even now. In todays NFL you have to play to win. But it's not just our offense. Our defense breaks down quit a bit. The defense probably gives up more big plays then any other team in the NFL right now. :doh:

Archived