Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Our Defense Too Agressive?

XSean21TaylorX

Last year, Gregg Williams did the most remarkable job of coaching I've ever seen. He took average talent and had it performing at Superbowl level. It was done mainly by taking calculated risks in certain down and distance situations.

But this is the NFL. You aren't going to hold a strategic edge for long unless it is backed up by superior personnel. This year, GW is losing some of his gambles, but he's still winning more than his share.

Losing Antonio Pierce hurt. When Lemar Marshall was moved to the middle, we were weakened at two linebacking positions.

In my opinion, the answer to your question is no...he isn't being too agressive. He needs better personnel in a couple of key positions.

Most of the teams are going to a "Max" protection schemes especially on third downs. They are doing a good job at giving their QB another second to find his "Hot" receiver. We have been burned this year and I believe the other teams were not game planning us this way last year. This is why we need to be able to generate a pass rush with our front four.

GW said it himself last week -- our guys are simply not winning the one-on-one match ups on defense. He's calling the right defensive sets and guys are inposition, but they players are getting beaten physically. We simply need more talent on the D-line to compete. GW masked the problem last year, but his tendencies have been figured out -- only an infusion of talent will help.

GW said it himself last week -- our guys are simply not winning the one-on-one match ups on defense. He's calling the right defensive sets and guys are inposition, but they players are getting beaten physically. We simply need more talent on the D-line to compete. GW masked the problem last year, but his tendencies have been figured out -- only an infusion of talent will help.

You mean GW admitted it was the players' fault not his?

Look, I think Williams is top notch as a defensive coach, but I am not impressed with coaches who directly or indirectly lay the entire blame on the players and Gregg appears to do this all too often.

I was stuck in the car yesterday, but Sam Huff made a pretty astute (for Sam) observation. He said that in the NFL when you gamble, you lose most of the time.

My problem with Williams defense - going back to Buffalo when I first starting paying attention to him - is that his entire defense seems to be based upon his guessing right. When he gets hot, he's like the guy at the blackjack table who splits two tens and hits two aces. He looks like a genius and you just have to stand back and admire him. But when he goes cold, the defense gets gashed like it did in the 4th quarter and overtime.

He can say that the players are losing one on one match-ups. But with the limited talent he has, should he really put Ryan Clark in a position where it's up to him and him alone to stop LT?

it worked well in the first half, then we went to the consevative mode, and uh...we know what happened after that

Darn right!!! I have no idea why we went away from crowding the line and getting pressure in the 4th quarter. I was really pissed about that and think it would have made a difference.

I thought our defense played pretty well this week. The D really is pretty close to being elite again. Carlos has stepped up to fill the #2 role fairly nicely at least last week. If we can ever get Griffin and Big Joe healthy and find a pass rushing DE the defense will be damn good once again.

I was surprised by the lack of aggressive play on 3rd and long situations. Several times, San Diego faced a third and long, and there were only 3 down linemen rushing. I thought there was way too much time for the QB to find a target, which he did most of the time in those situations. In my opinion, the pass rush is the key piece, which was actually better this past week than before. Griffen's return helped greatly. If the 4 down linemen can pressure the QB, that frees up the big playmakers, like Lavar for sacks, and the secondary for interceptions - which occured better than usual against San Diego.

Do you think we have been a little too agressive with our defense? beacuse it seems like every time we throw some crazy blitz, we get burned in some way, or is it the discipline of the non blitzers that cause big plays?

No... the problem is, when we send all those guys, they never get to the QB... even when we send more than the O has to block... its very frustrating

You mean GW admitted it was the players' fault not his?

Look, I think Williams is top notch as a defensive coach, but I am not impressed with coaches who directly or indirectly lay the entire blame on the players and Gregg appears to do this all too often.

Great Post!

Gregg has atleast half the culpability in our defensive woes. Five things are glaringly problematic:

1. We play conservative coverage schemes during the 4th. (Gregg)
  2. Walt Harris, Ade Jhmo, and Pierson Prioleau cannot sniff Taylors jock and should be resigned to special teams. (This is a personal issue that Gregg needs to get a handle on. The rookie Rogers played great yesterday, these guys didn't. As usual.)
  3. Blitzing the cornerback doesn't work anymore. (Another play calling issue - Gregg)
  4. Our D-line with the exception of Griffin has no ability to free themselves from blockers. (Player ability)
  5. LaVar never plays during the decisive plays of the game. (Gregg this is you again.)

Wow! Actually it looks to me that GW is 75 - 80% culpable. :doh:

Great Post!

Gregg has atleast half the culpability in our defensive woes. Five things are glaringly problematic:

1. We play conservative coverage schemes during the 4th. (Gregg)
  2. Walt Harris, Ade Jhmo, and Pierson Prioleau cannot sniff Taylors jock and should be resigned to special teams. (This is a personal issue that Gregg needs to get a handle on. The rookie Rogers played great yesterday, these guys didn't. As usual.)
  3. Blitzing the cornerback doesn't work anymore. (Another play calling issue - Gregg)
  4. Our D-line with the exception of Griffin has no ability to free themselves from blockers. (Player ability)
  5. LaVar never plays during the decisive plays of the game. (Gregg this is you again.)

Wow! Actually it looks to me that GW is 75 - 80% culpable. :doh:

yeah jeeze, i think any defense starts with a good line, with out that 1st push, it makes it harder for the linebackers, and DB's to to the job right, beacuse if they don create some type of pressure themselves guys eventually get open and then, we were screwed. i still cant believe we let LT run over us the final 2 qtrs, we basically contained him, then boom 184 yds. he basically beat us himself, beacuse we really did a number on brees. its like what will show up for us each week the run d or the pass d, and id rather this week we shut down LT than anything, beacuse the chargers options on the passing game were shot with gates out, and basically a slower mcarddell at the #1 WR spot

Archived