Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Goal Line Officiating Question...not complaint.

llcamino

Here's a question, but let me first preface by saying I'm in no way blaming anything on officiating. Plus, I sit in the 400 level, so I have no idea what TV replay's showed. I've noticed this now for the last 3 weeks because the skins have had close goal line plays:

How can the officials possibly make an accurate call on the goal line, when they slowly run in from the sidelines and un-peel the pile, then see where the ball is and call it based on that? Do they not realize how much the ball moves after the play is long over? I just don't get it.

I find it interesting that on EVERY other play situation, the ref who is standing by the linebackers (sorry, don't know their titles) runs in and "helps" spot the ball. Granted, he uses the side judges marks, but he's right up on the play EVERY play. However, on the Goal line, this official is no where to be found.

I thought it was a penalty for linemen to push the pile.

It is a penalty for the lineman to assist a running back in moving forward. However, if a lineman blocks a defender and - oops - just happens to move the running back forward in the process, it's okay.

This happens on every single running play. If officials started calling it, there probably would never be an unpenalized goal-line or short yardage play.

With the advent of the "Sky Cam," there is no excuse to not have an overhead shot of every goal line situation. The camera should be able to move from right to left (tracking the goal line) but never move into the field of play or endzone. I am not critical of the call yesterday. I do, however, believe that if they are going to utilize TV technology, they should take advantage of the overhead angle.

As a high school official (in the line judge position), we are taught to move in toward the play on kneel downs and close goal line plays. It would be harder for professional refs (older and less athletic than the players) to get out of the way if the play suddenly broke to the outside.

Archived