Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Firing Line 2002- Whose jobs are in danger?

88Comrade2000

1. Giants- no playoffs & Fassell could be out.

2. Cowboys- think Campo has to finish at least .500 to save his job.

3. Falcons- Reeves is done. Blank will want his own guy in there for 2003. My bet is Denny Green has a shot here.

4. The Cards- never know with Bidwell

5. Seahawks- no playoffs and Holmgren could be in trouble. Don't worry though, he'd land elsewhere either in 2003 or 2004.

6. 49ers- Don't think San Fran really wants to keep Marriwhiney, but he could be back.

7. Lions- if they don't show some improvement, Matt Millen could bring someone else in

8. Raiders- Callahan- no superbowl and AL could bring in someone else?

8. Bengals- Think they need to go .500 for Lebeau to return

Probably the usual 3-5 coaches getting the AX. Marvin Lewis will want those jobs. Will he get them though?

I don't think Holmgren or Mooch are in trouble. Hell, Mooch won 12 games last year! Callahan's probably safe -- the Raiders will do well this year. It's next year that their geriatric squad will fall apart. I also think Cincy is going to be better than most people think, even with Frerotte and Westbrook.

So that leaves the Giants, Cowboys, Falcons, or Lions. I'd guess that there are a couple of wild cards out there -- teams that will dramatically underperform. How about San Diego? Could Marty get fired again? He'll laugh all the way to the bank. Or how about the imploding Saints?

Man, I hope if Lewis goes that he leaves the NFC East. He'll have lots of practice stopping the Bawl Coach by then.

I don't pretend to understand what they're doing in Dallas. Campo is a good defensive coordinator, but I don't see the plan with him as the head coach . . . other than to act as Jerruh's lap dog/yes man. He could be fired at any time, or he could be there for the next five years. It's all up to Jerruh's whim.

However, if for example Holmgren got canned in Seattle, I could see Jerruh wanting to sign him. In that situation, of course, the rub would be how much controll over personnel that Holmgren would want. But the point is that I think Jerruh will hire the next big name who wants to be the Cowboys coach.

As far as your list goes, I could see Wannstedt being replaced (by Norval?) in Miami if that team fails to make the playoffs. Also, I still don't think that the new Chicago ownership is in love with Jauron, contract extension or no. If his team fails to impress, he might go too.

I definitely agree with the fact that Jim Fassel is on the hotseat.

From the Tiki Barber/Michael Strahan feud to Hank Shockey and Brandon Short fighting, it is evident that Fassel has lost control of the Midgets.

I think anything short of a playoff appearance will get Fassel booted out of the NYC.

Oakland is looking awful. A lot like we did in the preseason last year. Gruden could light a fire under those guys and wouldn't let them get away with dumb penalties, which was their trademark before he arrived. They have a veteran team, but Callahan can't do anything with them. He just doesn't look like a very good coach.

Here's a wild thought. Our next defensive coordinator could be Dave Campo. Huh??? You bet. Suppose we have a great season. I'm starting to think it could happen. Lewis then gets the head job that he deserves, say with Detroit or Cincy or Atlanta or Seattle. Meanwhile, the Pokes fall on their faces after all the hype with a horrible offensive performance. Jerrah fires Campo and hires Norval to fix the O. We need a D coordinator who can handle a lot of autonomy. Now as much as I hate Big D, I've always had a lot of respect for Campo's defenses. They've always been solid, even when their offense sucked. Oh well, just a thought. :cool:

Oakland's demise is their age. Watch this season as the 16 game schedule wears this team down and causes all the 35 year old players they have to start to miss games and become less effective.

The Raiders window which stretched back the past 2 years to me seems to have closed.

The Gruden trade for picks to me says the team is starting to rebuild itself.

No doubt Davis is hoping he can do it on the fly, but my guess is it is going to take a little longer than one draft and one offseason to replenish this team.

On offense EVERYONE is over 30. Gannon, Brown, Rice, Garner, Wheatley.

And their offseason acquisitions were more of the same in Romanowski (35) and Parella (32).

Where does it end, Al?

I don't think this ends in a Super Bowl crown :)

Originally posted by redman

I don't pretend to understand what they're doing in Dallas. Campo is a good defensive coordinator, but I don't see the plan with him as the head coach . . . other than to act as Jerruh's lap dog/yes man. He could be fired at any time, or he could be there for the next five years. It's all up to Jerruh's whim.

However, if for example Holmgren got canned in Seattle, I could see Jerruh wanting to sign him. In that situation, of course, the rub would be how much controll over personnel that Holmgren would want. But the point is that I think Jerruh will hire the next big name who wants to be the Cowboys coach.

As far as your list goes, I could see Wannstedt being replaced (by Norval?) in Miami if that team fails to make the playoffs. Also, I still don't think that the new Chicago ownership is in love with Jauron, contract extension or no. If his team fails to impress, he might go too.

I think it's difficult for people to understand exactly what goes on in JJ's mind. Even those of us that follow the team religously have a hard time understanding him at times.

I don't think that Campo is JJ's yes man or puppet. To say that would give Jones too much credit for the fine job of coaching that Campo did last year. Yes, Campo did a good job last year. Remember? Rookie QB, $23 million in dead money, no talent on D? We were supposed MAYBE win one game and get blown out in the ones we didn't win......Well, he didn't do half bad.

Now, will JJ fire him anytime? No....simple answer. JJ has never fired a coach in midseason. He says he never will.

I do agree that Campo needs to go, at the very least, 7-9 to keep his job.

Now, since we're speculating.....What does SS's record need to be to be safe? What if he goes 6-10? We've seen the quick hook your owner tends to have. Will he be patient with Spurrier?

To this outsider's opinion, I'd have to say yes. Spurrier keeps his job. I think a learning curve with the new offense should be expected. Maybe if you all went 1-15, but that's not likely (I don't think 6-10 is either, but it's a hypothetical situation). You all would know better than me.......

I would watch any buyouts on the following coaches, should they sink below 500.

Campo - Most curious analysis of a coach up until 2002, had been running in place. Well it's either you got it or you don't for those cowpokes, and if it aint' funky, the stinker is Campo.

Fassel - interesting that his D isn't that bad, just not as great, but still able to keep them hovering around 500 ball (will surprise some people, but will it be enough???)

Haslett ( yep= even though he was extended, they may still unload him like Snyder did Marty, taking the hit in the front office, not in the cap).

Other considerations: Costlet, if he fails in the expectations of Jerry Jones, he could feel tremendous heat like Switzer felt and just decide to pack it up. On the other hand, Costlet could step in and take over from a exited Campo, if he decides on an offer from JJ, should Campo stumble.

Mariucci "watch" will be on hold this year, as SF does put together another season over 500.

I could see JJ hiring Marvin Lewis in Dallas just to screw the Skins. JJ's recent history has been to hire no-name puppets who will say yes to everything he says, which would indicate it's unlikely he'd hire Lewis. But that chance to hurt the Skins by nabbing our awesome D-coordinator might be too good for JJ to pass up. How bad would that suck? :puke:

If I were to believe everything I've read, then I am inclined to believe Spurrier has job security. This is the man Dan wanted for a long time. Now he has him and I believe will be patient.

I don't believe the Cowboys would be interested in Marvin Lewis. They will look for a known quantity. And if not, then probably an offensive minded coach and not another defense coordinator. I could see a Holmgren(Pro)/Phil Fulmer (College) going to Dallas next year.

I think Mooch could leave San Fran on his own volition. His contract is up after next season. They may take a pre-emptive strike and let him go this year.

I could definitely see holmgren in Dallas next year. The Seahawks probably won't do anything this year. Jerrah is going to want a dynamic offensive mind after seeing SS in action this year. Plus, Campo is a dufus and will be gone after this year

LB, think about this: Marvin Lewis debuts as a head coach

in Dallas...

I don't mean to hang the bigot tag on JJ or people down there, but Dennis Green and Tony Dungy have been available and Dallas didn't even interview them. I'd be very surprised, (and frightened for the Skins) if Lewis became their head coach. Very bad mojo if the Skins lose Lewis to Dallas. I give it a 20-1 shot.

No way Lewis goes to Dallas. Snyder will offer him the moon to stay in D.C. if our "D" has a great season. Snyder could offer him more money to stay as the "DC" then other teams would pay him to be the "HC". Lewis knows he will be a "HC" someday in this league. Why not stay with the Skins during the Spurrier years and make a ton of money and even more fame and then leave to fulfill his "HC" aspirations?

Archived