Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Please explain here what all the 'sitting on the lead' arguers mean

Bonez3

Let's recap

11:11 left in the 4th

Skins up 17-10 get the ball @ Was 15

2 Portis runs for 8 yards.

3rd and 2 yards to go. Shotgun, incomplete pass.

Punt

SD gets ball gains 7 yards, Punts

8:03 Left in 4th, Skins get the ball on Was 16

Skins up 17-10

3 Portis runs for 10 yards, 1st down.

1st and 10 - Incomplete to Royal (drops)

2nd and 10 - pass to Jacobs for 11, 1st down.

2 Portis runs for 4 yards,

3rd and 6 on Was 41, Brunell from shotgun, Portis saves fumble

punt. SD gets ball, scores. Tie game 17-17

Skins get ball on Was 27, 3:25 to go, tie game.

Portis for 3. Pass to Jacobs for 3.

3rd and 4, shotgun, incomplete pass.

Here we have 3 failed 3rd down conversions, all from shotgun. Two of them with us leading the game. One with 2 yards to go, one with 6, one with 4.

3rd and 2 @ Was 22 with 9:49 to go in 4th, up by 7. Shotgun, incomplete.

3rd and 6 @ Was 41, 4:51 to go, up by 7. Shotgun, incomplete.

If running and playing not to lose is the plan, then why o why would they not run the ball with 2 yards to go? That call absolutely killed me. On the 3rd and 6 too. Why shotgun? Why oh why??? They know we are trying to kill the clock. We are up by 7 with under 5 mins to go. Why shotgun???

My heart sank on the 3rd and 2 on the 22. DEFINITELY SHOULD HAVE RUN

..or the supposed "know it all fans" whose opinion is the ONLY opinion. There are 2 sides to a coin almost every time and the true ignorant person is defined by someone that cant grasp the other side of the arguement. How about JG has done this terrible "play to not lose the game plan in almost every game he led late. Notably, he loses quite a bit by doing this but doesnt appear to learn from it. Do you think opposing NFL coaches don't know this??? So they stack the box and dare the Skins to pass. Sometimes you can get the first down running anyway..but usually, like in SD, you go 3 and out.

listen to you

With 8 minutes left you try to score again and make it a two score game. You kill the clock with8 minutes left when you're up by at least ten. Especially when your punter sucks and the opposition is getting the ball back with good field position. It happened last week and it happened again this week. That's what sitting on a lead mean. A small lead at that. I'm not saying throw the ball down the field with the lead but move the chains.
:applause:

Wow incredible!

i had a thought on this matter the other night and i wonder if there's any truth to it. coach gibbs did'nt just spend twelve years out of football he spent twelve years piling up nextel cups in nascar. i wonder if a little too much of that nascar winning mentality rubbed off. anybody who watches nascar knows that you dont even have to win once to win it all you just have to be consistent. and if theres one thing this team has been this year its consistently in games, i mean we only hit the wall once and that was against the giants. i know gibbs realizes theres a difference in the two sports but i wonder if he's doing it subconsously (i cant spell) without even knowing it.

Archived