Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs deserves that 3 Year. Changing coaches now & you're looking at another 3 years!

Rdskns2000

Alright, this season is turning into another dissappointment. I think we can honestly wonder if this team will win another game or will this team shock us and win out?

There's a contingent that wants Gibbs gone and gone yesterday. Who do you replace him with? Mike Martz? Greg Williams? I don't think so. I sincerly hope some team is stupid enough to think Greg Williams can be a head coach again and hires him. Mike Martz isn't a head coach- his tenure with the Rams proved that. Whenever Gibbs leaves; Synder will go after the next big name. Also has and always will. That's his style and he won't be changing that.

We bring in a new coach in 2006 and we are looking at massive changes again that could take the new coach 3 years to get his team the way he wants it.

Well, Spurrier didn't get 3 years. The man proved in one year- he wasn't an NFL coach. He's lucky he got a second year.

Regardless of how we finish- which will probably now be 8-8 or 7-9; Gibbs gets one more year. Being the man who gave us 3 Superbowl Wins; he has earned the right- based on past performance to coach this team next year. If he can get it done in year 3; I honestly believe he will take himself out. There won't be the indiginity of a firing.

I believe Gibbs is humble enough to see what didn't work this year and what did. He will see what he needs to change. Hopefully, he also realizes he needs a help at the GM position and get someone to help him get players; so he can concretrate on just coaching.

Despite us being 5-6 and heading towards another dissappointing year; this team has had one real bad game- Giants and most of another- Dallas. This team lacks a pass rusher and we need another WR. The lines also need shoring up. Joe Gibbs also needs to that killer instinct. Joe isn't going for the kill- is because he's washed up? Has lost that fire? Or maybe, he just doesn't have faith in this team for him to be aggressive yet?

Well, I am willing to see what happens in 2006. If things don't work out next year; I honestly believe Gibbs will take himself out.

Anyone thinking a new head coach year will lead to instant playoffs are fooling themselves. It takes time to get the team you want.

Marty never got the chance and maybe didn't deserve that chance. Clash of egos resulted in his term being only 1 year.

Spurrier was complete disaster- which we haven't completely overcome yet.

Yes, it's dissappointing that we will not be in the playoffs this year. Sorry, I don't see us going. Thing is, we have been competitive. The Bengals went 8-8 for 2 years and now are having a breakout year. Maybe we can do the same in 2006. Or maybe not. All I know, Gibbs deserves that chance.

I don't think any sane person is advocating canning Gibbs right now. But our lack of improvement coaching and playing in close situations is dissapointing. I wanted Spurrier to get a 3rd year, so you can imagine I'm all for Gibbs for another year. He just needs to adjust!

Gibbs is every bit the coach that Dick Vermeil is and it took him 3 years to turn the Rams around. But if this doesn't work after next year, I'd at the very least, can Gibbs as President of the Skins. His personel decisions have been questionable at best.

In generall though people need to stop looking for a coach to be a savior for this franchise. Progress is slow. People were wrong to think Spurrier would instantly save the franchise, and they were blind to think the changes under Gibbs would be instant as well, not a anti-gibbs rant, but it still goes down to the 11 you put on the field, there are few "miracle coaches."

There's a problem, though, with thinking that all he needs is time.

Are you telling me it takes a genius to learn how NOT to playcall so poorly late in the game?!

That's one of the only problems. We've had some injuries, had some bad plays and some weird personnel issues (Lavar/Holdman, Harris/Rogers.) We STILL should be in the thick of things if Gibbs AND Williams both called plays better down the stretch.

It's easy to look at Teflon Royal or Brunell or the line or whoever--but we had LEADS in the 4th quarter of the last three games. At some point, Gibbs was supposed to learn LAST YEAR to PLAY AGGRESSIVELY and win the game.

You will lose a couple by being aggressive, but we just lost three in a row by playing it Gibbs way.

This team WAS ready THIS YEAR. There shouldn't have been a Year 3 consideration. Gibbs just needs to get his head out and start doing things right when his team puts HIM in good position with a 10 POINT LEAD!

Year 3 will be telling.

Marty turned the Chargers around in year 3.

Vermeil turned the Rams around in year 3.

Johnson turned the Cowboys around in year 3.

It does need to come together next year or it's likely not ever going to happen with this crop of players and coaches.

Gibbs should get a third year...but at this point it doesn't seem like he really wants one. At his pressconference he sounded as bad as or worse than Spurrier when SS came on and said that he had no idea what to do to fix the team, and that was close to the time that he quit. If Gibbs is already that confused, and he seems to be pretty close to it (though I wouldn't have said so before today).

Gibbs needs a pep talk from someone and that person also needs to light a fire under him, becasue he sounds defeated and like a death row inmate just excepting his impending doom.

He needs to get some energy back and whip this team up and make some drastic changes, starting with cutting Royal and Frost...otherwise...he is pretty much joining the walking dead.

I don't want to see him like this, I want him to succeed, but right now it looks like the team and Gibbs needs a miracle to change things around and I don't mean just for this season. (partially since playoffs are already out of the question anyway for this year) Gibba needs to figure out what he wants to do and get this team fixed up, including his playcalling...if he can't do that and right now it is a big questionmark, we are in for some very agonizing upcoming years.

The only thing that amazes me about this thread is that it exsists....

Gibbs is doing what it takes to right the organization; the issue was more that it was so tragically out of balance.

Sadly the team has really squandered some close games. It's sad because we could be in the thick of the race this season. That however does not really change the stat of the larger issues and changes that have been occuring. The organizational mess was created over a dozen years, hardly fair to expect it to be corrected in 2.

Hey is we run the table we will still make the playoffs. Nice challenge for the team.

Gibbs stays but we need to overhaul some of our coaching staff.

I like Musgrace but guys like Breaux, Burns, and yes Bugel must go.

In my view the biggest coaching disappointment hasn't been Gibbs, it's been Bugel.

Yep, Bugel has been a huge disapointment and the o-line is so inconsistent it is just sad. With this talent there is no way they ought to be doing such a lousy job, especially not with all the priase that Bugel heaped on them about how good they are before the these last two seasons.

And whoever's idea it is to keep Frost around....

The only thing that amazes me about this thread is that it exsists....

Gibbs is doing what it takes to right the organization; the issue was more that it was so tragically out of balance.

Sadly the team has really squandered some close games. It's sad because we could be in the thick of the race this season. That however does not really change the stat of the larger issues and changes that have been occuring. The organizational mess was created over a dozen years, hardly fair to expect it to be corrected in 2.

Hey is we run the table we will still make the playoffs. Nice challenge for the team.

Uh, apparently you haven't been watching the last few games where it was Gibbs and not the 'damage' from an 'out of balance' organization that cost us the victory.

There's not THAT much that needs to be corrected. Groom for Frost was a mistake from the get-go and something many pointed out at the time. Novak's release when Hall can barely kick off was also a mistake that was pointed out.

The playcalling has been horrid. That's something that can be righted or it can continue into NEXT YEAR also.

Just looking at Holmgren's playcalling should point out the contrast between someone who wants to WIN and someone who is scared. 4th and inches a FG would give them a 4 point lead with 4 minutes. Gibbs would have kicked the FG and lost. Seattle just put themselves up 8 points. Even if NYG scores, they still have to get a 2 pt conversion.

Hey it is OK for Parcell's to have 3 losing seasons in a row right and no one ever says he is washed up. How come you all think Gibb's is? While I agree our play calling has been questionable in the 4th quarter, it is up to the guy's to execute. The plan is not bad, it is lack of execution, and fumbles that have screwed us this year.

Here's a thought for you. Let's give Coach "Namby Pamby" another year to "fight our guts out" and maybe a few new player at positions of need. If the result is the same than move on and maybe Danny boy can talk Charlie Weis into coming back to the NFL. This way with one more year for both men, we can see if Lord Gibbs can get it done and If Weis is for real at ND. If not than we wiil have to look around the league and see if there is a good coaching prospect.

Year 3 will be telling.

Marty turned the Chargers around in year 3.

Vermeil turned the Rams around in year 3.

Johnson turned the Cowboys around in year 3.

It does need to come together next year or it's likely not ever going to happen with this crop of players and coaches.

:applause: BEST POST on this thread. Folks if you can't hold out 3 years for a Hall of Fame coach, I cannot take you seriously as fans.

Archived