Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What Do You Most Remember Marty For?

Doctor ToughLove

I remember him fining stephen davis or something like that for breaking curfew. He come in and got rid of all the stars. Its sad becuase our stars cost us both dallas games. Stephen davis fumble with the dallas game sealed, and champ bailey getting burned by raghib ismail for the game clinching touchdown. After the game champ bailey's excuse for getting burned was he didn't know quincy carter could throw a 30 yard pass.

Finishing 8-8.

We were on our way back...

With Tony Banks throwing to Rod Gardner? I'm not buying it, but I have to concede the rest of the world acts like it.

I have never seen a coach get so much hype from the media for an 8-8 season. I think the media only hypes it so they can bemoan Daniel Snyder for something else.

Putting a curfew in affect :doh:

The worst thing though would be the benching of Darrel Green. DG is royalty aroung here. You don't bench him, just like you don't bench Brett Favre.

Bingo! Not only that but Marty went 0-5 with Darrell Green benched and went to 5-5 when Smoot was injuried and Darrell Green returned as starter. I am a little amazed the rest of the world doesn't recall that at all. And was wondering if it was well remembered among Redskins Nation. That is what turned me against Marty.

Mostly I remember how pi$$ed off I was when I found out we hired him!!

You also left off drafting Rod Gardner...instead of Chad Johnson, Santana Moss, or Chris Chambers. Or the one that really ticked me off at the time - drafting Rosenfels instead of McMahon. The only good pick from his draft was Smoot. Everyone else was a bust.

The thing I truly remember most about Schotferbrains was that we had the best RB in the NFC and a WR who just two years earlier had led the NFL in ypc, and the strongest arm (albeit the weakest brain) in the league at QB, and for 5 games he insisted on a horizontal passing game when the ONLY player with any short yardage passing skill he had cut for wearing his hat at a meeting (Centers). We b!tched about SS passing too much and abandoning the run, but that was nothing like what the Fuhrer did at the beginning of '01.

Mostly I remember how pi$$ed off I was when I found out we hired him!!

You also left off drafting Rod Gardner...instead of Chad Johnson, Santana Moss, or Chris Chambers. Or the one that really ticked me off at the time - drafting Rosenfels instead of McMahon. The only good pick from his draft was Smoot. Everyone else was a bust.

The thing I truly remember most about Schotferbrains was that we had the best RB in the NFC and a WR who just two years earlier had led the NFL in ypc, and the strongest arm (albeit the weakest brain) in the league at QB, and for 5 games he insisted on a horizontal passing game when the ONLY player with any short yardage passing skill he had cut for wearing his hat at a meeting (Centers). We b!tched about SS passing too much and abandoning the run, but that was nothing like what the Fuhrer did at the beginning of '01.

:applause: Hallelujah! I consider Marty's coaching stint the ugliest season I ever saw.

game 1: 3-30.

game 2: 0-37.

game 3: 13-45.

game 4: 9-23.

game 5: losing the "0-4 vs 0-4" matchup game.

game 6: coaching a loss in the "0-5 vs 0-5" matchup game. Lavar stealing it.

Darrell Green starting in the next 5 wins, despite being benched by Marty for the his handpicked & outplayed Smoot.

Marty won't be remembered for any of those things. He'll be remembered as a great regular season coach and an honorable fellow who has no idea how to win in the playoffs. Danny shouldn't have fired him, but that was a couple dozen coaches ago now (my memory blurs) so he's San Diego's problem now.

Archived