Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official post-game thread -- Chargers at Skins.

Art

The Redskins have a great core of players. They just need to find a reciever to compliment Moss and losen up the running plays for Portis's style of running or get another running back to fit Coach Gibbs follow the blocker running. Portis is a great running back with a different style of running and something needs to give. Use his talent of locating open spaces and enjoy the rewards like Denver once did. The Defense is good, the Offensive line is good, and Jason Cambell will be a very talented Quaterback next year........The TRUE FANS have faith and patients for rebuilding.....The season maybe grimm, but the TRUE FANS keep supporting until the final game is played!

The Redskins have a great core of players. They just need to find a reciever to compliment Moss and losen up the running plays for Portis's style of running or get another running back to fit Coach Gibbs follow the blocker running. Portis is a great running back with a different style of running and something needs to give. Use his talent of locating open spaces and enjoy the rewards like Denver once did. The Defense is good, the Offensive line is good, and Jason Cambell will be a very talented Quaterback next year........The TRUE FANS have faith and patients for rebuilding.....The season maybe grimm, but the TRUE FANS keep supporting until the final game is played!

1. I agree with you. Moss does need a better reciever to help balance, but he can make plays in regardless of the coverage.

2. The half back should not change! Portis is a star. I think the offensive coordinator, although one of the best of his time, should be retired. His style of offense simply isn't good enough to win, and win consistantly in todays NFL. Portis leaving shouldn't even be considered.

3. "The defense is good, the offensive line is good..' I question both of those statements. The corners need drastic improvement. Walt Harris is one of the worst tacklers I've ever seen. He plays coverage alright, but we need smart players in the secondary, and Walt isnt one of those players. Linebackers are good, but not great. The defensive line, when not plagued with injury, could prove to be the best in the league.

4. Jason Campbell.. hmm. He hasn't proved himself to me in the NFL yet. Everyone is saying he's the future. I'm still doubtful. They said that about Ramsey, and look how he turned out. He played well in college, but he had a great supporting cast and his opposing defenses were not even close to the caliber of any NFL squad. He'll be tested soon. Whether he's our future, I'm not sure yet.

5. The season is grim. And the true fans stick with em. I agree. But you have to look at a season, analyze, and make changes. You can't merely say 'we're taking it game by game,' and 'we're rebuilding.' Yes, the franchise is struggling, and yes, they have a solid core of players, but the season has to be looked at- it has to be analyzed- everyone has the right to be critical. Eventually the rebuilding excuse will fade.

In summation, the skins could blossom into a playoff caliber team. Consistancy is a pivitol issue. I think offensive playcalling should change. The NFL draft and free agents will be pivitol this offseason.

Charger fan stopping by to give you guys massive props.

from the moment #53 looked like nastradamus and covered brees on the halfback throwback, to carlos rodgers looking like deion freaking sanders, you guys played one hell of a defensive game, that's the best i've seen the sd offense contained in 2 years.

easily the best D we've seen since 2003, would have been our worst defeat since 2003 if it wasn't for LT waking up.

Both teams looked very very messy on offense , i blame that partially on the defenses of both sides, but damn i think i counted 15 drops combined.

I can't express in words how impressed i was at how washington dominated the Oline and Dline for most of the game, easily the best performance an Oline has done against our Dline and LBs since i've seen this group together, which boggles my mind cause after seeing burgess go nuts last week i expected merriman to just come in and eat brunnell alive, but damn he got shut down.

You guys totally unequivocabally shut down antonio gates worse than i've ever seen anyone shut him down, which makes sense cause i was reading on another topic how the skins have shut down good TEs this year.

Anyway, i'm not here to brag boast or any of that crap, i'm just thankful sd survived that game, and i wanted to give you guys props, i'm still surprised we won.

Another Charger Fan here in 100% agreement with the above quote. I know you lost in the end, but you guys played us TOUGH! I think you have a great D and O Line, and if you would have had all your receivers healthy I think this game has a different outcome. We won by the skin of our teeth. Hope we don't have to have many more like that...I was calling for a de-fribulator for my heart!

Great game, guys. You do have a good team, it is not an illusion.

The reason the Smurfs were so wide open is because of the running game and the "ballsy" play calling of Gibbs. When the LB's and SFT's would cheap up on the run the play action pass would get the receivers open down field. The Smurfs were average receivers at best and played well within the system. Often times Gibbs would call play action on second and 3 or third and 2 when the defense NEEDED to respect the run. The "ballsy" play calling would come when the team was up by 10 or more and pulled off one of the 30+ yard passes off of play action. The offense would be in immediate scoring range and up by 10+. This action of course ripped the hearts out of defense and hence the "blow out" wins. if you look back at many of the Skins wins under Gibbs (80-92) you'll see that they (Skins) were often close at half then opened up in the second half. Many people thought that it was because Gibbs made half time adjustments. It wasn't that at all. It was because Gibbs set up defenses for larger plays in the second half based on what he did in the first half.

Could not stop LaDainian Tomlinson down the stretch. He had a heck of a day today with his 3 touchdowns against the Redskins. After 3 straight losses, the whole Redskins organization really need to look at themselves in the mirror and find out what the heck is going on with this football team.

Classy posts. However, I don't think you can quite understand our frustrations...

Ever since we won the Super Bowl in '91, we have made the playoffs just once. Losing seems to be a mainstay in D.C.

San Diego, while not very good for awhile, has been on the up and up for years now.

We've been more on the "up and down!"

I hope the tide has turned, though. It's been tough being a Charger fan my whole life. Lots of throwing rolled up socks at the TV! (by the way, you should try it. It helps!)

Time to make a run for momentum into next season, and spoil a few games along the way for the competition:dallasuck

Thanks Brunell...that helps, and you summed up why the 'Skins have morphed into a perenial lower echelon team.

Anyone else notice this...not twenty seconds after the 'skins lost a "heart-breaker" in overtime, and saw their hopes of making the playoffs this year obliterated (and yes, any hope of the 'Skins making the playoffs this year died today), Mark Brunell was shown on the sideline laughing and having a great old time with one of the Chargers' players.

Well, if the QB and leader of the team doesn't care, why should I (or any other fan that bleeds with every frustrating 'Skins loss)?

It really is disgraceful conduct, and it shows why the 'Skins are nothing but wannabe contenders. How the leader of the team can care so little that he's able to laugh on the sidelines less than a minute after watching his team get beat, is beside me. Sincerely, Brunell should be fined for such embarrassing conduct. If Snyder is looking for the reason why the 'Skins lose again and again in situations where they should be able to win, he has only to look at that disgusting attitude.

Just imagine it...the guy just saw his team get beat in a heart breaking come from behind victory, and just saw his hopes of making the playoffs dashed, and he's laughing and having a great old time on the field in front of all the cameras. That is unproffessional, disgraceful, and should be unacceptable to the Redskins organization.

Unfortunately it's the state of the league. We can blame free agency and the "us" (players) against ownership mentality. Players no longer stay with a team long enough to care about rivalry's or history. It's so bad that the Skins had to bring former players in before the Dallas Monday night game to "update" them on the importance of the rivalry. Do you think D. Green would ever play in a Dallas uniform? No way!!! He'd smash his VW Bug into a wall before he did that. Players finish a game with the same bank balance as they started and lay their heads on the pillow next to their pretty wives and never give it a second thought when they loose. They might tell you they care but it's all PR. If I lost a game like that I'd be ready to slash the tires of the opposing teams bus. Players today would give the team that just beat them a ride to the hotel if their bus broke down.

we actually got 3 count them 3 take aways in this game...and we loose. That is like only 2 % chance that can even happen. Keep it close my ass....Gibbs your are the man...no doubt but wtf are you doing. And you and Lavar say this has been 3 of the toughest losses we have ever endured....ok i have asolution for you....

1. get the offense off their ass.

2. fire everyone asociated with our pathetic run defense...including the pathetic Lavar Arrington who cant make a simple tackle in OT?

3. get some decent recievers besides Moss....Thrash??? ( washed up), david patton? ( reason why he left NE?.....he sux.

Giants and Cowgirls loose and we have lost 3 in a row...sad...really embarrasing for your fans and terribly sad ....

It's not Brunell's fault, it's the team's fault for becoming comfortable with a 10 point lead. We blow games in the 4th quarter because we stop playing 100 percent and expect the other team to stop too...once again...and I'm extremely tired of saying this...there's always next year...

:doh: :tantrum: We lost this game today because of something that I have been noticing for a while. We play to conservative. Gibbs needs to go for the kill. SCORE.SCORE.SCORE. Stop sitting on leads. Also, for someone reason the defense can not hold teams in the 4qtr. I don't know who to blame this on, but its somebodys fault. We need to get things going in the right direction fast while we still have a little shot at the playoffs.:ramsuck:

Why do we have to go conservative in the final quarter of the game? Why not play each and every quarter like the second game of the season with 73 seconds left, down by 13? Conservative play calling wouldn't have won that game. You have the weapons, damn the torpedos, full speed ahead! I don't see the Colts sitting on a minimal lead and expecting the other team to give up. How many times does this have to happen before we learn that it won't work? It is time to install Jason Campbell, R. Johnson and turn Lavar loose. Robert Royal and D. Frost have GOT to GO! Bring back Andy Groom. Once again, we are looking to next year and hope to God we can learn from this year.

Skins fan forever but forever frustrated!

yeah, we dropped another one we had in the bag....i mean who needs to score in the second half? i mean 17 points has to be enough to hold off one of the best teams in football who scored 40+ last week right? oh and lets make games that we have won interesting by letting a team we dominated all game make us look inept on both sides of the ball in the 4th quarter...we can't finish, whether it be a game or a season, guess what

we're fighting to stay out of last place in our division again...and to think it all started out with so much promise

:dallasuck

Yeah! We suck! Our offense once again plays to barely keep up. We don't play to put more points on the board. We seem content being up by 3 points. This is one heartbreaking season. We needed this one, our offense has no heart! Here's to next season! We play so not to make mistakes and be ridiculed, but we end up losing and that happens anyways. Go conservetive offense! Oh ya, ENTER JASON CAMPBELL!

I dont know if the offense has no heart, i do know that you need more than one WR and a good running game to win, the skins are doing well in a season where we have only copped one hiding, lost two games to questionable officials calls and the offense has only had half a season together, i expect that this team will do much better next year when the offense has had time to gell together, and dont forget the defence lost two very important people last year. i would like to see the skins get a very good receiver for next season, we have one when you have two, the opposition defense can no longer double team two so lets get another good deep capable receiver and go the skins

I'll say this...we had the last three games and we had some bad breaks...I won't put this on Gibbs, he was not out there dropping passes and holding that screwed us on the extra 10 yards. Anyway running the table would be difficult and still may not get us a wildcard slot....the only way really is to win the Division...Minnesota is even ahead of us in the wildcard race. Taking the division by beating the Cowboys, and Giants and them dropping a couple is the only way..of course winning our last five, we'll see. I was already getting ready to revive the WE WANT DALLAS chant in Arizona (once we had that game in hand..and beating the Chargers and Rams) but the game will be mostly meaningless...but I'll still be there cheering. In a way EVERYONE on this site should be ashamed of themselves writing OUR team off with 5 games left. We all pretty much wrote off week 2 against the Cowboys until Brunell went "bombs aways" on the SissyBoys from Dallas. We saw what happen then....so it's very hard, but we are the BEST and LOUDEST FANS with the Largest Stadium in the league...and it's really not over until it's over....Although I'm upset and we have a better chance Dan Synder re-hiring Norv Turner than us making the playoffs this year we should not give up and we should keep Believing.....THE REDSKINS are our TEAM...really If we are going to go down let's go down fighting like the true fans that we are...Supporting the boys until the final gun on January 1 or what ever the last playoff game is if we make it...HAIL REDSKINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We can complain about the playcalling on both sides of the ball. However, doesn't it bother you to see the light-hearted approach the players seem to take throughout the game. I don't know about anyone else but I'm sick of seeing the laughing and dancing around on the sidlelines. This team cannot get over the top because they lack that "edge" or "hunger" to refuse to lose. I want to see players who hate to lose. I think when that happens we get over the top.

Archived