Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does 11-5 Insure A Playoff Spot?

jaydean

hypothetically, if we win the remaining games on our schedule, does 11-5 guarantee us a spot in the playoffs? i'm just wondering. and another question for you football guru's. hypothetically, again, how many more games can we possibly lose before we don't have a chance at the playoffs. 8-8 is not going to work, is it?

Aren't we asking a lot from this team? Does anyone really think we will go 5-1 or 6-0 in the next 6 games? I would love to see it happen, but I just think that only a win on Sunday can start that kind of momentum. But we are killing ourselves. Stop turning the ball over and we win at least 5 of 6. This team is a good team, but can't have t.o.'s. Nobody likes a t.o. ha ha get it.......

Signed,

Joe Gibbs Jr.

I don't see how we can run the table or even go 5-1 the rest of the way. I was confident until we let Tampa and a rookie QB toast us for 34 plus the bogus 2 pointer. I thought that we would rebound against the Raiders and we totally fell apart, especially in the 2nd half. Our offence was plain awlful and I don't know about anyone else but you just had that feeling for most of that game that we could not move the ball.

We need to start with the Charger game and hope that the loss of Patten, Thrash and Sellers will not ground the offence once again. Patten has not had a good year but teams had to respect his speed. Sellers made some big plays and was a dangerous threat in the red zone. Teams can now key on Moss and Cooley and basically ignore what is left. The defence has been inconsistent at best and even though we only gave up 16 against the Raiders, allowed them too many big conversions, especially in the 4th qtr. We need to stop teams on 3rd down!

I am hoping against hope that our season, which had such promise does not erode into an 8-8 or worse record. We deserve better and have seen this scenario all too often. I am really getting tired of this year after year but as always I love my Redskins and will stick with them to the bitter end! They have given us 5 trips to the SB and won 3 for us.

I don't know about the rest you but it is awfully hard to watch the rest of Sunday's games if the Redskins lose and I love football, so if the Skins lose my whole Sunday and Monday(MNF) are up in smoke!

I am just throwing my 2 cents in as an ardant Redskins fan but right now we are doing the same things we have done for the last 5 years and that is finding ways to lose. I thought on 3rd and 3 in the TB game we should have thrown the ball. Brunell had a hot hand in that game and TB was waiting for Portis and stuffed him. There was over 2 minutes left and I knew we had to get that 1st down the way our D was playing and whether we ran or tried a pass and it fell incomplete our D would have to make a stand and I knew if they got the ball they would drive the field. So what happens we run don't make the 1st down and TB takes over on a short field thanks to Frost and we all know the rest. The 4th and inches decision to punt was a bad one, Once again you have to go for it there...no question. If I can guess what we are going to do I am pretty sure the Defence knows and that's not good and all too often I have been able to guess right in critical situations such as the 3rd and 3 with 2:44 in the TB game.

I just don't see many positive signs in us going 6-0 or 5-1. I looked at our schedule and see possibly 2 maybe 3 wins out of the next 6. I hope I am wrong but right now I see no cause for optimism.

I don't see how we can run the table or even go 5-1 the rest of the way. I was confident until we let Tampa and a rookie QB toast us for 34 plus the bogus 2 pointer. I thought that we would rebound against the Raiders and we totally fell apart, especially in the 2nd half. Our offence was plain awlful and I don't know about anyone else but you just had that feeling for most of that game that we could not move the ball.

We need to start with the Charger game and hope that the loss of Patten, Thrash and Sellers will not ground the offence once again. Patten has not had a good year but teams had to respect his speed. Sellers made some big plays and was a dangerous threat in the red zone. Teams can now key on Moss and Cooley and basically ignore what is left. The defence has been inconsistent at best and even though we only gave up 16 against the Raiders, allowed them too many big conversions, especially in the 4th qtr. We need to stop teams on 3rd down!

I am hoping against hope that our season, which had such promise does not erode into an 8-8 or worse record. We deserve better and have seen this scenario all too often. I am really getting tired of this year after year but as always I love my Redskins and will stick with them to the bitter end! They have given us 5 trips to the SB and won 3 for us.

I don't know about the rest you but it is awfully hard to watch the rest of Sunday's games if the Redskins lose and I love football, so if the Skins lose my whole Sunday and Monday(MNF) are up in smoke!

I am just throwing my 2 cents in as an ardant Redskins fan but right now we are doing the same things we have done for the last 5 years and that is finding ways to lose. I thought on 3rd and 3 in the TB game we should have thrown the ball. Brunell had a hot hand in that game and TB was waiting for Portis and stuffed him. There was over 2 minutes left and I knew we had to get that 1st down the way our D was playing and whether we ran or tried a pass and it fell incomplete our D would have to make a stand and I knew if they got the ball they would drive the field. So what happens we run don't make the 1st down and TB takes over on a short field thanks to Frost and we all know the rest. The 4th and inches decision to punt was a bad one, Once again you have to go for it there...no question. If I can guess what we are going to do I am pretty sure the Defence knows and that's not good and all too often I have been able to guess right in critical situations such as the 3rd and 3 with 2:44 in the TB game.

I just don't see many positive signs in us going 6-0 or 5-1. I looked at our schedule and see possibly 2 maybe 3 wins out of the next 6. I hope I am wrong but right now I see no cause for optimism.

Gary, I hate to admit it, but you prove a valid point. If come Sunday night we are gloating about a win against the Chargers than I'll be singing a different tune, but until then, there is little reason for us to believe we'll be going 6-0, 5-1 for the rest of the season. We just have too many question marks. Look at our WRs!!! If Gibbo (that's my new nickname for him) can figure things out, and I assume he can, then I'll be looking forward to the playoffs, but until that is proven I have to be somewhat pessimistic.

To the best of my knowledge, there has NEVER been a team to miss the playoffs at 11-5. I wish the same could be said for 10-6 though... Twice Gibbs teams went 10-6 and missed out on the playoffs during his first tenure.

If this team makes 11-5, book your tickets now for January :)

To the best of my knowledge, there has NEVER been a team to miss the playoffs at 11-5. I wish the same could be said for 10-6 though... Twice Gibbs teams went 10-6 and missed out on the playoffs during his first tenure.

Yep. Jack Pardee did the same thing in 1979: 10-6, no playoffs.

We might have an edge since 3 of our losses were AFC losses.

I suppose the Redskins ticket office will make the decision to start sending out invoices for the playoffs soon, if we're mathematically still in the running of hosting a game. But two more losses, I don't see any point in mailing a check.

And I don't feel good about this Chargers game. We're banged up bad.

Somebody will lose some games so 10-6 will be good enough considering our NFC record so far. But the Redskins need to beat SD first and then win 4 of 5 which doesn't seem likely with the way they have played lately.

I bet you were one of the ones that went to bed durring that Monday Night game against Dallas. Never loose faith in a Gibbs team man. This isnt like the Turner days.;)

If the Skins finish 11-5, they will move ahead of Dallas by virtue of sweeping both games. Also we would be 5-1 in the Division which will be the tie breaker againt the Giants if they finish 11-5 (4-2 in the Division). It insures the Division title if the Giants lose another game besides 12/24 @ Skins.

11-5 guarantees the playoffs, even though the lowest wildcard team could be 11-5.

10-6 is almost a lock, especially if the loss is to the Chargers. A lot of teams would have to win the right combination of games for 10-6 to miss the playoffs.

Similarly 8-8 would require a lot of teams to lose the right combination of games for us to make the playoffs. In fact, it is still even mathematically possible to win the division at 8-8.

9-7 is in between.

Aren't we asking a lot from this team? Does anyone really think we will go 5-1 or 6-0 in the next 6 games? I would love to see it happen, but I just think that only a win on Sunday can start that kind of momentum. But we are killing ourselves. Stop turning the ball over and we win at least 5 of 6. This team is a good team, but can't have t.o.'s. Nobody likes a t.o. ha ha get it.......

Signed,

Joe Gibbs Jr.

As some of us have mentioned numerous times, the glory of the offense coming to life got most everyone caught up in visions of playoffs again, when if you'd asked that same "most everybody" during the off-season about the play-offs this year few would have said they expected it. It seems to me that most of us said we'd be happier n' hell to clear .500.

I got those starry-eyes too though, and still ain't letting go 'til it's over :laugh: :point2sky

Gary, I hate to admit it, but you prove a valid point. If come Sunday night we are gloating about a win against the Chargers than I'll be singing a different tune, but until then, there is little reason for us to believe we'll be going 6-0, 5-1 for the rest of the season. We just have too many question marks. Look at our WRs!!! If Gibbo (that's my new nickname for him) can figure things out, and I assume he can, then I'll be looking forward to the playoffs, but until that is proven I have to be somewhat pessimistic.

We didnt lose Sellers...The game he got injured he came back in a couple plays after that and got called because he was going after the guy who hit him from behind...remember?

Absolutely book your ticket at 11-5, and book it at 10-6, too. The two times that a Gibbs team won ten and didn't make the playoffs were in years when there were only five playoff teams. Now, there are six playoff teams per conference.

Archived