Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Turns out we may get to keep Betts

Joncevensen

Strangely it turns out that he signed a 5 year deal instead of a 4 year deal as a second round pick. That means we get one more year before he hits the market.

We probably can keep him past next year too because his going to be 27 or 28 and no one will give him starting money AND a starting job at that age while we will can offer him good money (by that i mean a contract averaging around 1-2 million a year) and have him continue to be Portis's backup

Betts is getting 6-12 carries a game this year based on the score, and with his skills he has not made the fans cringe when he comes in, in my eyes he is right between a starter and a backup skill wise.

So my question is, after this season would u extend his contract, if yes at what terms, after next season, if so at what terms (considering he will 27 or 28), or do u let him go?

Betts is a solid player and a good team guy. Keeps his mouth shut and performs pretty well on the field. However he's a bit on the fragile side. I wouldn't give him anything more than about a $3 mill SB and whatever the min. salary is for his experience level. I'd much rather we transition tagged him and get a pick instead. RBs are a dime a dozen nowadays.

Strangely it turns out that he signed a 5 year deal instead of a 4 year deal as a second round pick. That means we get one more year before he hits the market.

We probably can keep him past next year too because his going to be 27 or 28 and no one will give him starting money AND a starting job at that age while we will can offer him good money (by that i mean a contract averaging around 1-2 million a year) and have him continue to be Portis's backup

Betts is getting 6-12 carries a game this year based on the score, and with his skills he has not made the fans cringe when he comes in, in my eyes he is right between a starter and a backup skill wise.

So my question is, after this season would u extend his contract, if yes at what terms, after next season, if so at what terms (considering he will 27 or 28), or do u let him go?

And rob a deserving player the chance to start somewhere else? Yeah your real classy.

And rob a deserving player the chance to start somewhere else? Yeah your real classy.

i for one thought his contract was for four years, meaning after a solid year this year he would be 26 and be able to get a nice 4/5 year deal for some good money (prob around 3 million a year), instead he will hit the market at twenty seven and no team now a days will offer a 27 year old back a long term deal (look at alexander and james). We on the otherhand appreciate Betts talents and if we gave him a 5 year deal with something like 3 mill SB and total comp of about 8-10 million then we would in essence have a starting quality backing up Portis AND because he wont take a full beating every game he wont wear down during the back end of his deal. If Betts deal ended this year like I thought, then i would have said we all should send every team a letter of recommendation, but at 27 no team well give a starting job and the money he deserves.

With Portis here we really don't need Betts who could probably fetch us a 3rd or 4th rounder. I think Rock is a capable backup but Nemo has a great future. Nemo was very impressive in the preseason running guys over breaking tackles and catching the ball.

I like Betts but not even at 2mill/yr we have to many other needs and have other capable players at RB.

With Portis here we really don't need Betts who could probably fetch us a 3rd or 4th rounder. I think Rock is a capable backup but Nemo has a great future. Nemo was very impressive in the preseason running guys over breaking tackles and catching the ball.

I like Betts but not even at 2mill/yr we have to many other needs and have other capable players at RB.

Rock Cartwright is Gibbs pet...but he is never going to be a good running back. He has zero potential for being a starting back. EVERY back at Denver has the potential to start and gain 100 plus yards. Its easy to draft running backs and give them a chance. Why keep Rock around and just be mediocre at running back. Lets draft a scatback with real speed and moves who has the potential to break off 75 yard runs. It sure works for Denver.

Or would that cut into Gibbs pride...in the same way he has to keep plowing Portis into the line instead of giving him outside running schemes.

Archived