Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What Happened To Portis?

dfos81

I don't understand what happened. I saw us running, getting 1st downs, controlling the clock, and then Portis fumbles. Yeah, every runningback fumbles, so ok we say its just a fluke, then he fumbles again. The fumbles really killed us.

Thats not my point though, my point is we were running good w/ the exception of the fumbles then the second half comes and all the sudden we stop doing what got us the lead and thats running the f***ing rock. This pissed me off more than the fumbles b/c we had the lead even w/ the stupid fumbles, but then Yeah, but whos making all those passing calls, Brunell? or Gibbs? or who? All Im saying is we did great running the ball, until we stopped running.

I remember a couple 3rd and shorts, like maybe 3 or 4yds to go and we were still passing the dam ball. My question is what the hell happened to Portis the second half. He did fumble a few times but we still were running alot better than they were, then all the sudden in the second half we start throwing 3 and out, 3 and out, and if you actually watch we had plenty of oppurtunties to run, especially w/ Brunell not looking like what we all have came to love. The coaches bring in Rock Cartwright which was making a few plays but as far as keeping the chains moving he didn't do. I take that back Rock did have a good catch on 3rd down, I think. My question to whoever has the ansewer is WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO PORTIS THE second half? I don't remember seeing him at all. I hope Gibbs didn't decide to bench him the second half b/c of a locker room altercation or b/c of a few mistakes.

If he did, then he might as well bench Jansen, Jacobs, Brunell, etc, etc.... b/c Portis did fumble but we still had the lead and thats b/c he was breaking some good runs off. The biggest run we had, got called for holding as usual. Maybe Gibbs should bench whoever gets are best run plays called back. I don't understand why we quit doing what was working and just kept passing and passing, even after Brunell threw like 10 incompletes in a row we still didn't bring Portis in. WHY? Dont say b/c of 3rd and longs b/c the reason we got in 3rd and longs was b/c of the stupid passes on 1 and 2nd down. I would of rather saw 2 or 3 yds on 1 and 2nd down, then 0 freakin yds. Come on coach's play w/ the same intensity that got you the lead, stop playing not lose. Please, let us beat the Chargers so I can have something good to say about us next wk. Please, coach's keep doing what works and thats pounding the ball down their throats.

If Portis can't carry the ball 30 times to finish out games than maybe we should bring in another back that can come in and pass protect, so Portis doesn't get beat up so much. I know he is a great pass prot. for a running back but I don't think he should be blking de's or any lineman. Thats just taking away his chance to pound away some more yds in the second half.

Remembering the old days when Joe coached the skins he had a tendancy to do this so it doesn't suprise me that he stopped going to the running game after two fumbles.

Can't say i would agree with it cause it would have provided us with better clock management.

Gibbs admitted in the press conference the staff erred in not running the ball more in the late third and early fourth quarters. Give it a rest.

Portis isn't the only running back in the NFL that occasionally fumbles the ball. See Tiki Barber, Shaun Alexander, Ricky Williams, etc.

Just because John Riggins carried the ball 375 times and only fumbled once in 1983 doesn't mean we are going to see another back do the same.

Gibbs admitted in the press conference the staff erred in not running the ball more in the late third and early fourth quarters. Give it a rest.

Another thing Gibbs said that I don't see being mentioned with these "where was Portis in the second half" posts:There were three holding penalites on 1st down and three other penalties on 1st or 2nd that put them in long yardage and worked against calling as many plays running Portis. Also yards/downs lost on pressuring the QB. Gibbs allowed those to help him "get away" from sticking with CP.

I'm not excusing it, nor was he. But this is an unmentioned, basic, key, factor in this topic; how down & distance obviously affects most coaches' play-calling. First grade stuff, really, I know. I'm also pointing it out as another common example of some obvious factors that get missed by people who post with incredulity about something that's happened with play-calling on the field. Even the best make more than a few mistakes. But more often than not, if you're (not you personally, bulldog) experiencing an "I can't imagine what they were thinking" type of response, then with the majority of pro play you're probaly more right than you realize.

we have enough trouble getting 3rd and 2 on the ground, and if i remember correctly that exact down and distance on the ground lost us the tampa bay game. You seriously think we should be running on 3rd and 4? I don't.

This isn't a power running team, as much as gibbs wishes it might be, it's not.

Here's all your drives from the 2nd half except the last one. There are only 2 "3-n-outs", and only one of those was the 3 pass variety you describe. Its a little unusual to run 7 times and drop back to pass 15 times in a game where you're tied or leading in the 2nd half, but you had a 27 yard completion and a 31 yard PI call, so it wasn't completely unproductive.

I don't know where you're getting those penalties, Jumbo. I see a long sack, a loss on a pass to Portis where an illegal motion penalty on Jacobs was declined, but thats it.

If Gibbs had run 15 times and thrown 7, you'd be all over him for playing Marty-Ball in the 2nd half...

1-10-WAS15 (12:55) M.Brunell pass to S.Moss to WAS 42 for 27 yards (S.Schweigert).

1-10-WAS42 (12:14) M.Brunell sacked at WAS 33 for -9 yards (D.Burgess).

2-19-WAS33 (11:37) M.Brunell pass to S.Moss to WAS 38 for 5 yards (N.Asomugha).

3-14-WAS38 (11:37) (Shotgun) M.Brunell pass incomplete to T.Jacobs (S.Schweigert).

PENALTY on OAK-S.Schweigert, Defensive Pass Interference, 31 yards, enforced at WAS 38 - No Play.

1-10-OAK31 (10:48) C.Portis right end to OAK 29 for 2 yards (T.Washington). FUMBLES (T.Washington), RECOVERED by OAK-B.Hamilton at OAK 29. B.Hamilton to OAK 29 for no gain (C.Samuels).

1-10-WAS10 (5:32) C.Portis left guard to WAS 13 for 3 yards (K.Morrison).

2-7-WAS13 (4:59) M.Brunell pass to T.Jacobs to WAS 17 for 4 yards (N.Asomugha).

3-3-WAS17 (4:20) (Shotgun) M.Brunell up the middle to WAS 23 for 6 yards (Team).

1-10-WAS23 (3:39) C.Portis right end to WAS 32 for 9 yards (N.Asomugha).

2-1-WAS32 (2:56) C.Portis up the middle to WAS 36 for 4 yards (E.Jasper).

1-10-WAS36 (2:17) M.Brunell pass to C.Portis to WAS 30 for -6 yards (J.Cooper). Penalty on WAS-T.Jacobs, Illegal Motion, declined.

2-16-WAS30 (1:45) (Shotgun) R.Cartwright up the middle to WAS 31 for 1 yard (R.Hill).

3-15-WAS31 (1:03) (Shotgun) M.Brunell pass to R.Cartwright to WAS 48 for 17 yards (R.Tongue).

1-10-WAS48 (:21) R.Cartwright right end to OAK 49 for 3 yards (T.Kelly).

Fourth Quarter

Washington Redskins continued...

2-7-OAK49 (15:00) M.Brunell pass incomplete to S.Moss (S.Schweigert).

3-7-OAK49 (14:56) (Shotgun) M.Brunell pass incomplete to T.Jacobs (N.Asomugha).

4-7-OAK49 (14:49) D.Frost punts 43 yards to OAK 6, Center-E.Albright, downed by WAS-R.Cartwright.

1-10-WAS20 (7:56) M.Brunell pass incomplete to T.Jacobs.

2-10-WAS20 (7:52) (Shotgun) M.Brunell pass incomplete to C.Cooley.

3-10-WAS20 (7:46) (Shotgun) M.Brunell pass incomplete to C.Portis.

4-10-WAS20 (7:39) D.Frost punts 44 yards to OAK 36, Center-E.Albright. C.Carr to WAS 47 for 17 yards (E.Albright).

PENALTY on OAK-I.Ekejiuba, Illegal Block Above the Waist, 10 yards, enforced at OAK 42.

1-10-WAS17 (6:20) C.Portis left end pushed ob at WAS 21 for 4 yards (J.Cooper).

2-6-WAS21 (5:57) (Shotgun) M.Brunell pass incomplete (T.Washington).

3-6-WAS21 (5:52) (Shotgun) M.Brunell pass incomplete to C.Cooley.

4-6-WAS21 (5:48) D.Frost punts 30 yards to OAK 49, Center-E.Albright, fair catch by C.Carr.

Excuses, excuses, excuses, that was not the H.O.F type of coaching that won us 5 games. All I am tryin to say is we need to continue doing what got us the lead, even if we weren't scoring tds we at least controlled the ball better when we were runnin it. I would also like to see Portis carrying the ball more in the second half. I know this is a very critical analysis of 1 gm. I belive Gibbs will not let a lead slip away like that the rest of the yr. If we ever get a game were the Offense and defense are playing to their potential in the same game we will be alright. Just lettin some steam off before we beat the Chargers and start the beginning of a winning streak. Thanks for the replies.

Here's all your drives from the 2nd half except the last one. There are only 2 "3-n-outs", and only one of those was the 3 pass variety you describe. Its a little unusual to run 7 times and drop back to pass 15 times in a game where you're tied or leading in the 2nd half, but you had a 27 yard completion and a 31 yard PI call, so it wasn't completely unproductive.

I don't know where you're getting those penalties, Jumbo. I see a long sack, a loss on a pass to Portis where an illegal motion penalty on Jacobs was declined, but thats it.

If Gibbs had run 15 times and thrown 7, you'd be all over him for playing Marty-Ball in the 2nd half...

1-10-WAS15 (12:55) M.Brunell pass to S.Moss to WAS 42 for 27 yards (S.Schweigert).

1-10-WAS42 (12:14) M.Brunell sacked at WAS 33 for -9 yards (D.Burgess).

2-19-WAS33 (11:37) M.Brunell pass to S.Moss to WAS 38 for 5 yards (N.Asomugha).

3-14-WAS38 (11:37) (Shotgun) M.Brunell pass incomplete to T.Jacobs (S.Schweigert).

PENALTY on OAK-S.Schweigert, Defensive Pass Interference, 31 yards, enforced at WAS 38 - No Play.

1-10-OAK31 (10:48) C.Portis right end to OAK 29 for 2 yards (T.Washington). FUMBLES (T.Washington), RECOVERED by OAK-B.Hamilton at OAK 29. B.Hamilton to OAK 29 for no gain (C.Samuels).

1-10-WAS10 (5:32) C.Portis left guard to WAS 13 for 3 yards (K.Morrison).

2-7-WAS13 (4:59) M.Brunell pass to T.Jacobs to WAS 17 for 4 yards (N.Asomugha).

3-3-WAS17 (4:20) (Shotgun) M.Brunell up the middle to WAS 23 for 6 yards (Team).

1-10-WAS23 (3:39) C.Portis right end to WAS 32 for 9 yards (N.Asomugha).

2-1-WAS32 (2:56) C.Portis up the middle to WAS 36 for 4 yards (E.Jasper).

1-10-WAS36 (2:17) M.Brunell pass to C.Portis to WAS 30 for -6 yards (J.Cooper). Penalty on WAS-T.Jacobs, Illegal Motion, declined.

2-16-WAS30 (1:45) (Shotgun) R.Cartwright up the middle to WAS 31 for 1 yard (R.Hill).

3-15-WAS31 (1:03) (Shotgun) M.Brunell pass to R.Cartwright to WAS 48 for 17 yards (R.Tongue).

1-10-WAS48 (:21) R.Cartwright right end to OAK 49 for 3 yards (T.Kelly).

Fourth Quarter

Washington Redskins continued...

2-7-OAK49 (15:00) M.Brunell pass incomplete to S.Moss (S.Schweigert).

3-7-OAK49 (14:56) (Shotgun) M.Brunell pass incomplete to T.Jacobs (N.Asomugha).

4-7-OAK49 (14:49) D.Frost punts 43 yards to OAK 6, Center-E.Albright, downed by WAS-R.Cartwright.

1-10-WAS20 (7:56) M.Brunell pass incomplete to T.Jacobs.

2-10-WAS20 (7:52) (Shotgun) M.Brunell pass incomplete to C.Cooley.

3-10-WAS20 (7:46) (Shotgun) M.Brunell pass incomplete to C.Portis.

4-10-WAS20 (7:39) D.Frost punts 44 yards to OAK 36, Center-E.Albright. C.Carr to WAS 47 for 17 yards (E.Albright).

PENALTY on OAK-I.Ekejiuba, Illegal Block Above the Waist, 10 yards, enforced at OAK 42.

1-10-WAS17 (6:20) C.Portis left end pushed ob at WAS 21 for 4 yards (J.Cooper).

2-6-WAS21 (5:57) (Shotgun) M.Brunell pass incomplete (T.Washington).

3-6-WAS21 (5:52) (Shotgun) M.Brunell pass incomplete to C.Cooley.

4-6-WAS21 (5:48) D.Frost punts 30 yards to OAK 49, Center-E.Albright, fair catch by C.Carr.

Based off what this shows we passed 7 times and ran 1 time in the 4th qtr. and you said you didn't count the last drive we're I know we didn't run.

I don't think that kind of playcalling will win us very many games. This team has to establish the run every qtr, or Brunell will end up retiring next yr. due to a spinal injury. I know for fact, passing twice as much as running will lead to alot more sacks and long yardage situations. I don't remember seeing alot of runs for negative yds, maybe a few. So why can't we stay balanced for a game? I promise you Gibbs knows this and he'll more than likely come out against the Chargers and run the 1st 5 plays just to get that field position on our side. When we win against the Chargers it will be b/c we stayed w/ whats working and more than likely that will be the balanced gameplan. I wouldn't have a problem w/ 13 runs and 15 passes, but 15 passes to 7 runs, come on thats not Gibbs ball.

Another thing Gibbs said that I don't see being mentioned with these "where was Portis in the second half" posts:There were three holding penalites on 1st down and three other penalties on 1st or 2nd that put them in long yardage and worked against calling as many plays running Portis. Also yards/downs lost on pressuring the QB. Gibbs allowed those to help him "get away" from sticking with CP.

I'm not excusing it, nor was he. But this is an unmentioned, basic, key, factor in this topic; how down & distance obviously affects most coaches' play-calling. First grade stuff, really, I know. I'm also pointing it out as another common example of some obvious factors that get missed by people who post with incredulity about something that's happened with play-calling on the field. Even the best make more than a few mistakes. But more often than not, if you're (not you personally, bulldog) experiencing an "I can't imagine what they were thinking" type of response, then with the majority of pro play you're probaly more right than you realize.

I would think w/ 1st and long and 2nd and long that defenses wouldn't expect a run. So, why not slip a few draws or spread it out and then run it up the gut? If we play another qtr were we pass 8 or 9 xs and run once we will lose those qtrs too. We don't have that type of offense.

we have enough trouble getting 3rd and 2 on the ground, and if i remember correctly that exact down and distance on the ground lost us the tampa bay game. You seriously think we should be running on 3rd and 4? I don't.

This isn't a power running team, as much as gibbs wishes it might be, it's not.

You don't have to be a power running team to run the ball on 3rd and 4. I think you are degrading this team. If we aren't a power running team that what are we? I belive we are a power running team, but w/ Betts out its not as effective to run on 3rd and 4. We scored 35 pts against Tampa, I don't think you saw the offense do a whole lot of wrong. If you watched the game against Tampa we didn't lose b/c of the offense not controlling the ball. Just go back and look at our 15 min drive against Tampa and then tell me how many times we passed.

We are a power running team, we just have our backup powerback banged up. Every Offensive coach will tell u they would love to have 3rd and 4, b/c they can almost call anything in that situation. In the Raiders game 3rd 4 w/ the lead seemed to be a no brainer for a run call. I guess I don't know as much as you do. Maybe you should call Gibbs and tell him what pass to do on 3rd and 4 when we have a lead and we have rushed for almost 100yds in 1 half. Why your looking at the Tampa game again you'll see the reason we lost is b/c Tampa ran the ball on short yardage and got a td, then they turned around and did the same thing on the 2pt conversion. Maybe that should tell you something. Well, I'll tell u.........RUN IT!!!!!! and thats my :2cents:

First, as I said in my post, I got them from Gibbs in his press conference. I guess I should have said "on redskins.com." It was the second or third one he gave after the game. The rest was as I posted. But I get where you're coming from with your summary.

I also repeated in my post what he said about pressure (which getting rid of the ball would show up as some of those incompletes I asssume). The incompletes put them in long yardage which worked against him calling more runs. Again, I was trying to point out these were some basic realities that Gibbs discussed as reflecting his thinking process that weren't being mentioned in the thread. Gibbs was not trying to present it as an excuse for not sticking with CP, which he thinks he probably should have, as I said.

If the run/pass ratio and "marty-balll" thing was directed at me specifically, I'm a little lost (hardly the first time :) ). I never voiced any upset with Gibbs' play-calling. As far that game goes, I was only bent out of shape by our execution. I believe we should have beat the Raiders (at home) on the ground, in the air, or with a combination. I don't even have a problem with "marty-ball" :laugh: . As long as it works :) .

Archived