Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Greatest black quarterback?

tlk2rn

A friend and I were talking the other day about the NFL's greatest quarter back. I think it is Joe Montana and he agreed. Then he said,"you know, when people talk about this no one ever brings up black Q.B.'s." So I will ask you.

Who is the greatest black Q.B. and why. I will start off by saying that my greatest is Warren Moon.

Vick maybe one day.....right now however:

Doug Williams--- had a decent career with lousy teams and took advantage when he had his opportunity with the Redskins. 1 SB ring. 1 SB MVP.

Moon and Cunningham would also be in the running.

Mcnabb should be considered as well, but I still don't think he'll ever win a SB with the Eagles-- despite having alot of respect for him.

Living in San Francisco, I watched Montana and Young for years without being a fan of either. Steve Young was the best QB I ever saw.

Unfortunately, for whatever reason, black players didn't really have the opportunity to play quarterback until recent years, so the pool is limited. Frankly, despite his struggles this year, I would rate Donovan McNabb very very high, as well as Warren Moon and Randall Cunningham.

I'm pleased that we're almost at the stage where this becomes a strange question. I had to really think about who was black and who wasn't, but I do have to go with Cunningham for consistent production. I was very high on Daunte until this year.

I agree.

"Black QB" to me isn't a significant NFL term anymore....look at the NFL today with Vick, Mcnabb, Culpepper, Batch, Stewart, Wright, Banks, Davies, Mcnair, Campbell etc. etc. When I was growing up, if you saw 3 black QB's in the league that was suprising.

^:laugh:

For real. Doug Williams was a mediocre QB with one year of glory. Nobody saids that Kurt Warner is the best QB ever despite winning one Super Bowl MVP and having what might have been one of the 3 year stretches for a QB in NFL history. Likewise, Doug Williams shouldn't be in consideration for the best black QB ever. McNabb is already better than Williams ever was. Joe Gibbs system made Williams and all the rest of the Redskins QB's with the possible exception of Thiesmann.

McNabb. He can do it all run pass and buy sometimes seemingly endless time in the pocket. His int to td ratio is very good and he's never had all the weapons. He played one year with TO, the only time he ever had a legit #1 wide out, and finished with a 100+ QB rating. Otherwise he's had a lack luster running game and a gaggle of wide receivers that would be listed 3rd and lower on most teams.

If Vick ever learns how to pass he could be the best. But I doubt he'll be in the league long enough to reach that point.

McNabb. He can do it all run pass and buy sometimes seemingly endless time in the pocket. His int to td ratio is very good and he's never had all the weapons. He played one year with TO, the only time he ever had a legit #1 wide out, and finished with a 100+ QB rating. Otherwise he's had a lack luster running game and a gaggle of wide receivers that would be listed 3rd and lower on most teams.

If Vick ever learns how to pass he could be the best. But I doubt he'll be in the league long enough to reach that point.

Why do people **** on Vick just cause he's not the best passer? He wins games and makes things happen. His stats might not be the prettiest but you can't show me one team that wouldn't be thrilled to have him, save the Colts.

Why do people **** on Vick just cause he's not the best passer? He wins games and makes things happen. His stats might not be the prettiest but you can't show me one team that wouldn't be thrilled to have him, save the Colts.
Because eventually something slows him down, be it injury or opposing defense. When that happens he can't reliably throw the ball and the team loses. I'm not saying he's a bad QB, but until he learns to throw the ball effectively and consistently he's got a major hole in his game that other teams will seek to exploit.

Also he isn't going to be faster then everyone else forever.

The Pats, Steelers, Eagles, Chargers, Beangles, Jauguars etc. . .

Vick is a QB with mad skills, but he doesn't think quick enough, and he holds onto the ball too long.

Archived