Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: Guilty of sex with student, teacher avoids prison

Redskins Diehard

I see now way that this one can turn into a liberal/conservative and republican/democrat thread.

So here is my question...would the outcome have been different if the male and female ages were switched?

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/11/22/teacher.sex/index.html

In a last-minute effort to keep herself out of prison, a 25-year-old middle school teacher pleaded guilty Tuesday to having sex with a 14-year-old.

Debra Lafave, a former remedial reading teacher at Greco Middle School in Temple Terrace, Florida, pleaded guilty to two counts of lewd and lascivious behavior, and was sentenced to three years of house arrest followed by seven years probation. She also must register as a sex offender.

She could have faced up to 15 years for each count filed in Hillsborough County. She also could have been charged in Marion County, because one of the incidents happened there.

"I want to apologize to the court, to the young man involved and to his family for my actions," Lafave said. "I accept full responsibility for my actions, and I am very sorry for everything which has occurred."

A 14-year-old boy told investigators he had sex with Lafave three times in four days in June 2004, according to court documents. One of those times was in a car while his 15-year-old cousin drove them around, he told authorities.

He also said she performed oral sex on him multiple times, including once at her home, the documents said.

Defense attorney John Fitzgibbons said he began negotiating the plea deal Monday after he deposed the boy's cousin.

"We believe that this was a very fair resolution of this case," Fitzgibbons said, adding that Lafave avoided prison time with the plea and will be allowed to continue her mental health treatment.

"Very importantly, it allows the young man involved here to go on with his life, just as Debbie can go on with her life," he said. "He does not have to participate in a trial or deposition."

Fitzgibbons had originally planned an insanity defense, saying earlier this year that Lafave had "some profound emotional issues" and that "once anyone reads what the doctors have to say, they will understand a lot more."

Asked how she felt after the plea deal was announced, Lafave said only, "Tired."

It was a change of heart by the boy's parents that made the plea deal possible. At first, they had insisted that Lafave serve at least three years in prison, but they recently relented, allowing prosecutors to strike the deal before the trial began.

"Because of the media coverage of these cases, I fear that proceeding to trial will negatively affect my son's emotional and psychological well-being," the boy's mother said in an affidavit filed in Hillsborough County on Tuesday.

She added that her son did not want to testify and merely "wants to resume his life in as normal a manner as possible."

if that was a man he would be looking at 5-15 easily. this disgusted me because she was a teacher. i think she should have gotten atleast a year or 2 and than all the other stuff. i was so angry when i heard this last night. i told my wife thats why they make a do,.lar less than us men, cause they can get away with murder

if that was a man he would be looking at 5-15 easily. this disgusted me because she was a teacher. i think she should have gotten atleast a year or 2 and than all the other stuff. i was so angry when i heard this last night. i told my wife thats why they make a do,.lar less than us men, cause they can get away with murder

Maybe not murder...just rape.

story.lafave.court.jpg

Wow. Hubba hubba.

It makes you wonder though...this woman could have had her pick of guys, and she chose to throw her career away on a 14-year old student. And - she did him in a car that was being driven around by his cousin!!! Who was 15!!!! and ostensibly not old enough to drive.

That chick is :insane:

So here is my question...would the outcome have been different if the male and female ages were switched?

I assume you mean, would it have been different if a 25-year old male teacher was having sex with a 14 year-old female student? It really depends on the parents, although that's definitely statutory rape, even if it was consentual. He would be prosecuted to some extent, just like she is.

This actually happened at a school I used to attend, and the parents did not prosecute - in fact, they preferred to keep it totally quiet - inasmuch as you can keep something like that quiet. The teacher, who was one of the most popular teachers in the school, was suddenly fired and of course everyone knew why. But it never made the papers.

But if the parents had wanted to crucify that teacher, they probably could have.

how this ruins the boys life is beyond me....... if anything, this would have been the event to officially start his life.....

You are sexist....and so am I. I agree with you. At 14 if I had a teacher that looked like that, I'd have been hitting in every dream I had all year. Actually doing so would have been like winning the lottery.

You are sexist....and so am I. I agree with you. At 14 if I had a teacher that looked like that, I'd have been hitting in every dream I had all year. Actually doing so would have been like winning the lottery.

Unfortunetly it is a dream for many 14 year old girls as well. And I'll bet their parents don't want them screwing their teachers or anyone that old.

I assume you mean, would it have been different if a 25-year old male teacher was having sex with a 14 year-old female student? It really depends on the parents, although that's definitely statutory rape, even if it was consentual. He would be prosecuted to some extent, just like she is.

This actually happened at a school I used to attend, and the parents did not prosecute - in fact, they preferred to keep it totally quiet - inasmuch as you can keep something like that quiet. The teacher, who was one of the most popular teachers in the school, was suddenly fired and of course everyone knew why. But it never made the papers.

But if the parents had wanted to crucify that teacher, they probably could have.

first ur 36 so this must have happened awhile ago and things have changed since than.

most states have laws where if the vivtim is younger than 15 its not statutory rape its molestation. thats why she would have likley gotten 15 years. she plead out mainly because the boy did not want to testify but they had a case with out him. if this was a guy he would have recieved 10+ years.

try this one on, a guy just solicited sex from an underrage cop he thought was a 14 year old girl and recieved 10 years in prison. he didn;t even have sex with her. she had sex with him numerous times and was ahis teacher, a protector, and got a slap on the wrist. double standard

also to yoiu guys who are like he wouldn;t be harmed and stiff maybe not, but let me ask you do u have kids. i do and i for one would have beat the hel;l out of her if she had touched my son. o don;t care if its a women or a man, specially a teacher. u do not touch a child. thats what a 14 yr old is period

and sghe did it cause she is sick and a pedophile and will likley do it again, just like a man would.

also look at the othewr teacher who did this out in the midwest. she couldn;t stay away from him. thats the only reason they finally sent her to proson and now she is tryong to marry him.

they are sick sick people.

story.lafave.court.jpg

Wow. Hubba hubba.

It makes you wonder though...this woman could have had her pick of guys, and she chose to throw her career away on a 14-year old student. And - she did him in a car that was being driven around by his cousin!!! Who was 15!!!! and ostensibly not old enough to drive.

That chick is :insane:

Still makes me think I'm doing something wrong- wow, I wouldn't throw her outta bed in the morning.

shoot if that were me, i wouldnt tell my parents or whatever made this story public. That is wild, and she definitely has the looks. If I were the parent, yeh Id be pissed, though being slightly twisted that I am would secretly be proud of my kid a little. I guess that is me being sexist, only if the teacher was relatively attractive or better.

How quick do you think this kid reached iconic status at his school? If I had pulled that off at 14 my friends would have kissed my feet until the day I graduated. My graduation from college was recent enough that this chic doesn't excite me too much - I've been used to interacting with better looking girls pretty much every day. But at 14? Are you kidding me? It probably would have lasted about 20 seconds but I would have been king of my school from that point on.:dallasuck

Archived