Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Texas Stadium Experience-what a dump!

melonhead1959

Two years ago my wife and I went to the Redskins game at Dallas-it was her first ever trip to an NFL game and she was excited! The excitement waned when we noticed how dumpy and rundown Texas Stadium was. Then, prior to pre-game warmups, the Jumbo-Tron showed the Dallas mascot kicking and stomping a guy wearing a Skins jersey, followed by the words: Don't You Just Hate The Redskins? This drew a standing ovation. Once the game started, a group of dim bulb Cowboy fans started yelling and cursing anyone within earshot wearing a Redskins jersey. After the Skins loss, we had to endure brutal trash talk from a host of drunken idiots all the way back to where we were parked. Needless to say, it was a terrible experience for my wife's first NFL game.

HOWEVER.....We decided to go back to the Texas Stadium rathole for the Monday Night Game this year. The silence walking back to the truck after that game was deafening! Payback is so sweet.......

Redskins fan since 1965....and DAMN PROUD OF IT!!!!!

melonhead1959:dallasuck

I've never seen a live football game there. But, I did go on one of its tours. Yeah, from the outside it looks like a total rat-hole. But, the locker rooms and skyboxes were nice. It also was cool spitting on the star in the center of the field and the Cowboys helmet in the end zone.

Two years ago my wife and I went to the Redskins game at Dallas-it was her first ever trip to an NFL game and she was excited! The excitement waned when we noticed how dumpy and rundown Texas Stadium was. Then, prior to pre-game warmups, the Jumbo-Tron showed the Dallas mascot kicking and stomping a guy wearing a Skins jersey, followed by the words: Don't You Just Hate The Redskins? This drew a standing ovation. Once the game started, a group of dim bulb Cowboy fans started yelling and cursing anyone within earshot wearing a Redskins jersey. After the Skins loss, we had to endure brutal trash talk from a host of drunken idiots all the way back to where we were parked. Needless to say, it was a terrible experience for my wife's first NFL game.

HOWEVER.....We decided to go back to the Texas Stadium rathole for the Monday Night Game this year. The silence walking back to the truck after that game was deafening! Payback is so sweet.......

I have been to the Skins/boys game every year for years.

NEVER ONCE has any boys fan been any type of rude to me or talked trash.

Blondie

Blondie....your defense of Cowboy fans makes me wonder if you are a closet Cowboys fan.....hmmmm

My wife and I felt like we were dealing with Eagles fans.

Trust me...we were there....and the verbal abuse was off the scale. Typical of classless cowboy fans....:dallasuck

Hmmmmm.

I guess.

Blondie

I am sure you could find this kind of behavior in any football stadium. Especially against a division rivalry. I am sure Irvin stadium isn't the only place to house drunken trash talkers.

I am shocked you would want to go back after receiving such brutality.

Here are some recent events that took place here at Fed-Ex. Like I said this kind of behavior happens in every stadium.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/20/AR2005112001497.html

Beer, Boorishness in Stands Spoil Games for Some Fans

By Joe Holley

Washington Post Staff Writer

Monday, November 21, 2005; Page A01

Up in one of the nosebleed sections at FedEx Field yesterday, a man watched the game wearing a sweat shirt reading: "[Expletive] the Refs." With him was a little boy, maybe 5.

A few rows in front of them, two guys in Washington Redskins jerseys greeted every referee call against the team by shooting their arms into the air, middle fingers extended.

One man was so wobbly by the second quarter that he toppled forward two rows, spilling beer on Leslie Weightman of Gaithersburg and digging his knee into the back of her husband, Jim. And leather-lung louts screamed obscenities against the Oakland Raiders until their voices were almost shot.

A scuffle broke out a couple of sections over. Prince George's County police and yellow-jacketed stadium security personnel, a dozen or so in all, had to climb to the top rows of the stadium to separate two clashing groups of fans -- men and women, Raiders fans and Redskins fans. They ejected four.

At least there was no knockdown, drag-out fight as there was at the game against the San Francisco 49ers a few weeks ago, when a half-dozen fans slugged it out, bodies flailing and falling like dominoes. It took police 10 minutes to come to the aid of an overwhelmed usher.

At FedEx Field and football stadiums throughout the National Football League, some fans are disgusted with the obnoxious behavior in the stands, particularly by alcohol-fueled spectators. It has become so bad that some are turning to television as a safer, less harrowing way to watch the game.

Beth Gourley, a 45-year-old Vienna resident, has held Redskins season tickets since 1963, but two years ago, she and her mother stopped going to games.

"People are hammered, the language is horrible and the ushers can't seem to do anything about it," Gourley said. "We're not beer drinkers -- we come to watch the game -- but the stadium caters to beer drinkers."

Certainly the rowdies and the boors are a fraction of the thousands of fans at FedEx Field -- a small city's worth -- and elsewhere, but they're enough to have changed the spectating culture into something resembling a World Wrestling Entertainment event. Bob Warren, a Redskins season ticket holder since the 1960s, has sold four of his six season passes. He says he has noticed a worsening in the past five years or so. "It's not the same friendly atmosphere it used to be," the 55-year-old Fairfax optometrist said. "The rowdiness and the language is definitely different."

Many disgruntled fans blame what Laurie Lieber of the California-based Marin Institute calls "an alcohol-saturated society" that seems synonymous with big-time sports these days.

"People have come to expect and accept the blanketing of alcohol promotion around sports," said Lieber, whose nonprofit public advocacy group considers alcohol abuse a public-health issue. She cited the increased signage at NFL stadiums, the ubiquitous TV commercials for beer and the bars and restaurants built into stadiums.

Lieber also noted the increase in tailgating. The practice has been around for years, but its popularity has skyrocketed in the past decade or so. Although teams encourage tailgating for the camaraderie and team spirit it promotes, it also makes drinking a day-long event. As Prince George's police Lt. Terence Sheppard said, "The longer people have to drink and socialize, the more problems we anticipate."

Last year around Xmas I flew down to Dallas with my 2 sons for their first NFL experience. All 3 of us had Redskin jerseys on. There were quite a lot of Redskin fans there....I was quite suprised.

They won in the final minutes in a game I thought we were going to pull out.

For the most part the fans were quite courteous to a grown man with young teen sons all wearing Skins jerseys. There were a few rude individuals.

Yes Texas stadium is showing its age.. but I recall the 70's Allen games at RFK and Senator games before that..and RFK reminded me of a Greyhound

Bus station in terms of its neatness. What a dirty dump that place was.

Aside from the loss in Dallas I was impressed with their fans being nice to us. But maybe its because we lost. :dallasuck

Last year around Xmas I flew down to Dallas with my 2 sons for their first NFL experience. All 3 of us had Redskin jerseys on. There were quite a lot of Redskin fans there....I was quite suprised.

They won in the final minutes in a game I thought we were going to pull out.

For the most part the fans were quite courteous to a grown man with young teen sons all wearing Skins jerseys. There were a few rude individuals.

Yes Texas stadium is showing its age.. but I recall the 70's Allen games at RFK and Senator games before that..and RFK reminded me of a Greyhound

Bus station in terms of its neatness. What a dirty dump that place was.

Aside from the loss in Dallas I was impressed with their fans being nice to us. But maybe its because we lost. :dallasuck

I used to work at TX Stadium. This seems like a fair assesment of the Cowboys experience. Most fans I've seen here, just give opposing fans a little good natured banter, but seldom cross peoples boundries.

Archived