Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins/Arrington Cap Situation for 2006

bhi4582

After doing some research, I've discovered the skins Options after this season in regards to Lavar. If they Trade Arrington, they would endure a huge cap hit of $12mil+ in 06 only. If they cut him they could salvage 7 million this year. By the Redskins striking an agreement with Arrington to push back his roster bonus until after June 1 next year in exchange for agreeing to release him on June 1 - they would be spreading the accelerated cap hit over two years ($5.096 million in 2006, $7.449 million in 2007).

So that would free up around 7 million to go after FA's such as John Abraham, Reggie Wayne, or another Passrusher. However that would also committ 7.5+ in dead money for 07. With them already being 5mil+ over the cap(accounting roster bonuses) next year, I'm not sure they would be able to absorb the full 12mil, so trading him may not be an option.

Of course they could keep him, but that would cause no room for manueverability in the FA market. They would virtually have the same team as this year. With the amount of holes they have especially along the DL, that would not be wise.

After doing some research, I've discovered the skins Options after this season in regards to Lavar. If they Trade Arrington, they would endure a huge cap hit of $12mil+ in 06 only. If they cut him they could salvage 7 million this year. By the Redskins striking an agreement with Arrington to push back his roster bonus until after June 1 next year in exchange for agreeing to release him on June 1 - they would be spreading the accelerated cap hit over two years ($5.096 million in 2006, $7.449 million in 2007).

So that would free up around 7 million to go after FA's such as John Abraham, Reggie Wayne, or another Passrusher. However that would also committ 7.5+ in dead money for 07. With them already being 5mil+ over the cap(accounting roster bonuses) next year, I'm not sure they would be able to absorb the full 12mil, so trading him may not be an option.

Of course they could keep him, but that would cause no room for manueverability in the FA market. They would virtually have the same team as this year. With the amount of holes they have especially along the DL, that would not be wise.

Roster bonuses do not count against the cap, only signing bonuses and base salary, roster bonuses are the number one reason for players being released. Don't forgert 9 million come off the books from the L.Coles trade of last year. The salary cap goes up next year, more so then any of the last couple years, due to the new TV contracts that take effect, and not to mention the collective bargaining agreement which is in limbo, could create an uncapped year, thus a 7+ million cap hit in 07 is meaningless with no cap to hit.

:dallasuck :eaglesuck :gaintsuck

yea what kind of scenarios are there with restructuring Arrington contract? any hope there?

I doubt with the recent contract issues between player and management that LA would be willing to redo any part of his contract, but stranger things have happened and maybe he'll be willing to help his team out.

:dallasuck :eaglesuck :gaintsuck

am i stupid or are people just giving up on the players that we have.

we have a young defense... they're not old. They can still learn and they dont perform as well as we would them to, they can improve over the offseason.

As fans we feel disappointed during our losses and try to find ways to better things, but reality is its up to the redskins, gibbs, snyder and FO.

But as a fan, have an obligation of supporting this team no matter what, thick and thin, we've done it for ten years, what is another few weeks going to do. Im more happy with this season than any of the past ten years. A fan supports every member of a team.

save the trading BS for Bandwagoners- how many threads do we need about lavar, the cap and trading.

Can't even stand the idea of losing Lavar for a good trade let along just cut him. I would lose what little respect I have left for Gregg Williams and company because they already messed up Huge by letting go of Pierce. Yes that wasn't on Gibbs. I am sure Gregg's ego go in the way by thinking is "system" is so briliant he can plant a chair back there and it will work. Well Holdman the chair didn't work did it now.

Honestly with the LBs we have now I would look to get the biggest FA NT and switch to a 3-4. Imagine Clemons, Lavar in the outside, Marcus, Lemar in the inside.

Thank you for the research, but it is incomplete. of the $12M cap hit in 2006, $6.5M is an option bonus. This can easily be converted into a signing bonus and prorated over 4 to 7 years depending upon whether the CBA is extended. His cap hit will dropped to about $7M for 2006. I think that this is what will happen, the Skins will not let LA go.

am i stupid or are people just giving up on the players that we have.

we have a young defense... they're not old. They can still learn and they dont perform as well as we would them to, they can improve over the offseason.

Who is young? Taylor and Rogers. Thats about it. Face it, our D is old and we need to do some major replacing over the next few years. Unfortunately we have little cap space and few draft options in the near term.

Roster bonuses do not count against the cap, only signing bonuses and base salary, roster bonuses are the number one reason for players being released.

This is wrong. Roster bonuses count against the cap the same as salary -- 100% in the year paid. The way teams get around this is by converting the roster bonus to a signing bonus, which allows the money to be prorated over the life of the contract. This would be the easiest way for the Skins to save a few mil on Arrington's contract next year.

They could also convert most of his 2006 base salary into bonus money and prorate it also. I think his base salary in 2006 jumps up to around $6M, so this could also save the Skins a couple mil.

I'm not certain of the actual numbers, but if I assume Arrington has a $6M roster bonus and $6M salary converted to a signing bonus in 2006, that would slash his cap number in 2006 to about $4M ($3.6M in prorated bonuses + $450K in base salary).

If the Skins want to cut their losses and take a big cap hit, they would be better off doing so before he earns his roster bonus in March 2006 (whether they wait until they pay the bonus or not, the 2006 cap hit for waiving him before June 1st is the same) because that would save them $6M in actual money. If they try to wait until after June 1st in order to spread it over 2 years, they could get screwed because if there is no new CBA in place, all cuts, whether before or after June 1st, will count against the 2006 cap.

From what I understand, Arrington's 2007 cap hit is around $6M, which means he's probably due around $4M in salary. After 2007, his cap numbers go back into the stratosphere ($9-13M).

So, if the Skins want to keep him another year or two (which is quite possible considering there won't be many left with Brunell at the helm), they could renegotiate his contract in order to guarantee some of his 2006 and 2007 salary (which he would otherwise not be guaranteed) in exchange for pushing the majority of unguaranteed money into 2008 and beyond. This would benefit Arrington because he would be guaranteed money that he would otherwise lose if the Skins cut him before his 2006 roster bonus is earned, and it would benefit the Skins by reducing Arrington's 2006 and 2007 cap hits.

For example, if the Skins converted $2M of his 2006 roster bonus, 1/4 of his 2006 salary and 1/4 of his 2007 salary into bonus money, in exchange for moving the remainder of his 2006 and 2007 salaries into the 2008-11 years, that would reduce his cap hits to $2.45M in 2006 and 2007. Why would Arrington agree to this? Because it increases his guaranteed money in the contract from $15.5M (his original signing bonus) to $20M. Unless he thinks he can get a guaranteed $4.5M over the next 2 years from another team, he would take the deal in a heartbeat.

There are a whole host of other ways the team could handle this depending on how long they envision Arrington being a part of the team. But these are the most common.

As for the team's 2006 total cap number - right now it is somewhere around $112M, but there are only about 45 players under contract for 2006. But, there are several key players (Brunell, Griffin, Moss, Washington) whose salary is taking up a large portion of that number -- by guaranteeing some or all of that salary the Skins will drastically reduce their total cap number. Plus, there are several marginal players entering their final year of the contract (Bowen and Harris are two) that will either be cut or restructered.

Don't worry, Snyder is masterful at working the cap to free up money to sign free agents, and I have no doubt that they will do so for the 2006 FA season.

I don't consider anyone under the age of 30 to be "old" in this defense. Looking at the ages, that leaves 5 starters and 2 reserves in that range. I expect that Daniels, Holdman, and maybe Stoutmire will probably be gone after this year, and Harris probably won't be starting next year, so that leaves 3 starters and 1 reserve that is going to be over thirty by training camp next year (Checked too. No one on the defense turns 30 this offseason.)

While we may not be a young defense, we aren't an old one either.

Jason

I dont understand why people think we have inferior talent. What part of our team do you not like player wise? Linebackers? Heck no... Safety? Of course not. DB? Ill take Springs and Rogers anyday. Defensive end? There you have a point.

Offensively.... RB, OL, TE/HB and WR anyone would point to and say we have tons of talent there, enough to be a playoff team easy. QB you could make a case for. But it just seems people arent playing up to potential... so is that a player or coaching problem? Our offense is 13th, our defense is 9th(I think), combine that with all of our turnovers, and this team has a long way to go.

Archived