Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wind and speed......need some help

Pete

Hey folks. My daughter has been playing soccer for 6 years and this year was selected to a traveling team. She has all the skills, but she lacks in endurance and speed compared to many on the team. For years, she's played full back, and it limited her running during games. She's now playing mid and forward which involvs a lot more running.

What can be done to get her where she needs to be? I know distance running will build her wind over time, but are there other things we could be doing? Breathing excercises?

As for the speed, are there any excercises to tatget for sprinters? I don't really want to put a 12 year old in the weight room if I can avoid it.

It's starting to cost her playing time, and she's upset about that knowing she plays as well as anybody on the team.

Any help welcome.

Thanks

played 20 years of soccer

The two most useful ways to build speed and wind are running hills and interval sprints.

The running of the hills will in fact you faster. Find a good hill. Sprint up the hill, jog or walk down. Repeat as many times as possible. The hill should be atleast 15-20 yards run to get up to the top.

The second useful thing we did was run interval sprints along our runs. Running distance is fine and dandy, but it's not what you do in the games. Where I ran had light posts along the path. At every 10th light pole, I would sprint to the 11th. Running this way is more like the game conditions where most of the time one can keep a halfback's pace, but you need occassional sprints. These runs are much more tiring, so tell her not to be discouraged if she can't run as far or if the time per mile actually goes up at first. That's normal. I always found this to be one of the best ways to train for game conditions.

IN college, we ran indian sprints for miles which is a variation on the same thing. In indian sprints, the team runs in a line. The person at the back has to spprint to the front. When they reach the front, the next person who is now at the back has to sprint to the front. While this is going on, everyone is jogging. This was actually pretty good training, but typically the team just moves really slow to make it easy. There has to be a pace setter.

Congrats on the traveling team. That's an awesome experience. And kudos for you for putting in the time and money commitment (sometimes those are huge).

played 20 years of soccer

The two most useful ways to build speed and wind are running hills and interval sprints.

Thanks guys. gbear, I know about sprinting up hills from when I was playing soccer, and running on the track team way back when. Problem is, the closest thing we have to a hill in this part of the country, are bridges and highway ramps. The team does Indias, but not all the time they run.

She just started with the interval sprints, so I guess were on the right track. I'm thinking about sprinting in sand, or the excercise pool at the health club. I was also thinking about sprints with a parachute.

You know where to find me if you come up with anything Riggins ;)

:cheers:

Archived