Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thanksgiving - Dallas and Detroit

Daanie

']I'm not sure how it started but I think it is fitting. Maybe because I'm used to it or whatever reason. It just feels right that they play on Thanksgiving. Plus' date=' I wouldn't want the Giants to play on Thanksgiving. If they lost, it would ruin my whole holiday and four day weekend. :D[/quote']

Detroit started the Thanksgiving Day tradition in it's very first year 1934.

http://www.detroitlions.com/document_display.cfm?cont_id=147421

Cowboy fans can thank Tex Schramm for his brilliant move to take the Thanksgiving day game and make it a doubleheader.

Actually, It's time for the NFL to make a prime time game on Turkey day. They should have an AFC game at 8:30 Eastern. Talk about a captive audience. Everyone is just sitting around anyway. If an NFL game was on, ratings would soar. Maybe let Buffalo host it. November in Buffalo with all the lake effect snow. Plus, that's just a football town. They live and die Bills there.

Actually, It's time for the NFL to make a prime time game on Turkey day. They should have an AFC game at 8:30 Eastern. Talk about a captive audience. Everyone is just sitting around anyway. If an NFL game was on, ratings would soar. Maybe let Buffalo host it. November in Buffalo with all the lake effect snow. Plus, that's just a football town. They live and die Bills there.

I always watch "The Outlaw Josie Wales" after dinner. Its a tradition.

When the NFL wanted to institute a second game on Thanksgiving nobody wanted to play the game So Tex volunteered the Cowboys knowing the exposure it would grner them. I believe in the late 70's they tried rotating the game and rtings plunged so Dallas got it permanently. Last season the crappy Bears played the Crappy Cowboys and had 22.7 million viewers

Detroit started the Thanksgiving Day tradition in it's very first year 1934.

http://www.detroitlions.com/document_display.cfm?cont_id=147421

Cowboy fans can thank Tex Schramm for his brilliant move to take the Thanksgiving day game and make it a doubleheader.

According to Jerry Jones last week...the NFL is seriously considering a Prime Time Turkey Game as well.

Maybe next year!

i think if Dallas and Detroit wanted the games, they should be allowed to host it every year. It has become tradition, and I highly doubt it has become soo anachronistic an idea that it needs to be changed. Im just glad to watch football on thursday instead of having to wait 'til sunday. This is a time I usually cheer for the Lions (unless they play the Skins of course).

Archived