Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reggie Wayne a Redskin next year?

wilbur58z

I also believe Wayne is a product of the system and the talent around him but he will definitely end up getting overpaid somewhere but it won't be with the Skins. The Skins project to be 23.4M over the 90M 06 cap with only 42 players signed. It's probably much more realistic to be thinking about who is here now that they won't be able to keep next year instead of who they can add. This could change for the better if the CBA is extended before 3/1/06 which is the start of the 06 cap year but that's only a few months away.

I also believe Wayne is a product of the system and the talent around him but he will definitely end up getting overpaid somewhere but it won't be with the Skins.

I disagree... You can also look at it in the way that as a WR, his performance stat-wise has been held back by the amount of other options around him.

It WONT happen .. like i said above, harrison is near his end ,,,, wayne has been in the league 5 years .... the colts would be TOTAL IDIOTS to let wayne go, if they did they wouldnt have anyone else, esp after harrision leaves.

Put the pipes down now ... i would be VERY shocked if they let him go!

They will let him go harrison isnt done yet buddy and they dont have the money just like us :(

If he ever did hit the market I would hope we made a very hard pitch to sign him. Whoever said he would be just as productive and important as Moss...I think you're right. Moss is putting up huge numbers, as well as Cooley, with MB still spreading around the ball for other receivers! I think it is a definitely possibility for us to give him a Joey Porter-like deal (I think his was a wee bit less than SM) with a bigger signing bonus. Anyway Wayne after this season is GONE. He will prob want to be a #1 somewhere, but if he knows if he comes to Washington he'll be with his U boys and still get plenty of catches, he might just wanna come play for the U of DC.

Dude, Harrison just extended this year.

Exactly which is why the Colts were willing to let the Edge go for a second round pick, they have Freeney to worry about locking up before Reggie Wayne. Wayne will want to test the waters because he may or may not get more then what the Colts may offer, so Reggie Wayne leaving is a very, very strong possibility.

:dallasuck :eaglesuck :gaintsuck

Well, let's first accept the fact that we need a receiver to complement Moss. Then the question becomes how do we get that receiver? Is he already on the roster? (T. Jacobs? Patten?) Through the draft? (no top pick next year.) Trade? (Very tough to do in the NFL.) Or free agency. Seems like free agency is the most likely scenario. Who will be the top free agents? Certainly Wayne would be at the top of any list. Who else? T.O.? Will Gibbs dance with that devil?

Here's a list of potential 2006 WR Free agents, from theredzone.org:

Aaron Moorehead RFA Colts

Andre' Davis UFA Patriots

Antonio Bryant UFA Browns

Antwaan Randle El UFA Steelers

Arnaz Battle RFA 49ers

Az-Zahir Hakim UFA Saints

Brad Pyatt RFA Colts

Brandon Lloyd RFA 49ers

Bryan Gilmore UFA Dolphins

Cedric James UFA Patriots

Charlie Adams RFA Broncos

Chris Horn RFA Chiefs

Corey Bradford UFA Texans

Cortez Hankton RFA Jaguars

Darnerian McCants UFA Eagles

David Boston UFA Dolphins

David Givens UFA Patriots

David Tyree RFA Giants

Derick Armstrong RFA Texans

Dez White UFA Falcons

Edell Shepherd RFA Buccaneers

Ike Hilliard UFA Buccaneers

J.J. Moses RFA Cardinals

Jabar Gaffney UFA Texans

Jason McAddley UFA 49ers

Jerheme Urban RFA Seahawks

Jerome Pathon UFA Falcons

Joe Jurevicius UFA Seahawks

Kassim Osgood RFA Chargers

Keenan McCardell UFA Chargers

Kelley Washington RFA Bengals

Kendall Newson UFA Dolphins

Kevin Curtis RFA Rams

Kevin Johnson UFA Lions

Kevin Walter RFA Bengals

Koren Robinson UFA Vikings

Marc Boerigter UFA Chiefs

Michael Lewis UFA Saints

Nate Burleson RFA Vikings

Patrick Johnson UFA Ravens

Peerless Price UFA Cowboys

Peter Warrick UFA Seahawks

Quincy Morgan UFA Steelers

Randal Williams UFA Raiders

Reche Caldwell UFA Chargers

Reggie Swinton UFA Cardinals

Reggie Wayne UFA Colts

Rod Gardner UFA Panthers

Sam Aiken UFA Bills

Sean Morey UFA Steelers

Shaun McDonald RFA Rams

Tim Carter UFA Giants

Tim Dwight UFA Patriots

Troy Brown UFA Patriots

Troy Edwards UFA Lions

Troy Walters UFA Colts

Willie Ponder RFA Giants

he's kidding himself if he thinks someone is gonna pay him #1 money

fact is he has benefited from double teams on Harrison for years, and a great QB behind center

Now that's true as well. He will get paid more then what he's maybe worth based on the facts that he does produce, he's a team player, and his QB raves about his work ethic. Mix in the fact he has no off the field issues and some team will give him a little extra to be their #2.

I do agree however that he would be making a drastic mistake trying to be a #1 option, but we shall see.

:dallasuck :eaglesuck :gaintsuck

Other potential free agents to possibly target:

Antwan Randle-El - Blazing speed, solid citizen,versatile talent.

Koren Robinson - playing well with new start in Minnesota, including some monster kick returns Not so solid citizen, but seems well on the road to conquering his alcohol demons.

Joe Jurevicious - Big possession receiver with Seattle. Good hands and would be a nice complement to Moss.

Troy Edwards - Underacheiver, but crowded out of the WR rotation in Detroit.

Jabar Gaffney - Might want to jump from the sinking Texans' ship.

Well, let's first accept the fact that we need a receiver to complement Moss. Then the question becomes how do we get that receiver? Is he already on the roster? (T. Jacobs? Patten?) Through the draft? (no top pick next year.) Trade? (Very tough to do in the NFL.) Or free agency. Seems like free agency is the most likely scenario. Who will be the top free agents? Certainly Wayne would be at the top of any list. Who else? T.O.? Will Gibbs dance with that devil?

Here's a list of potential 2006 WR Free agents, from theredzone.org:

I'd like to see if Jacobs could be the guy and stay with Patten as #3, then maybe draft someone the next year. - We absolutely HAVE to address D-line this off-season.

It WONT happen .. like i said above, harrison is near his end ,,,, wayne has been in the league 5 years .... the colts would be TOTAL IDIOTS to let wayne go, if they did they wouldnt have anyone else, esp after harrision leaves.

Sorry but you are wrong in saying he wont come here b/c The colts still have Troy Walters, Dallas Clark and Brandon Stockley to take Waynes place. There is a good chance of wayne coming here b/c Peyton made Wayne who he is today, and he could make Stockley, Walters and Clark just as well at least until Harrison retires. Therefore, the colts have depth at WR, and dont necessarily need Wayne after this year, especially if they win the SB.

So he does have a good chance of coming here, b/c of Moss and Portis, and he would fit well in the system.:)

I'd like to see if Jacobs could be the guy and stay with Patten as #3, then maybe draft someone the next year. - We absolutely HAVE to address D-line this off-season.

It would be great if Jacobs could be that guy. And the one nice thing about the rest of this season is that he gets a flat-out, make-or-break audition to prove he CAN be the guy. We'll get to see if can convert promise and potential into production.

Am I the only one who thinks he is just a part of Peyton M's system? He is still a great player though, but not as great under Brunell.

Colts Offensive Coordinator Tom Moore's offensive system, that Peyton Manning brilliantly executes, requires PERFECT route-running and PERFECT timing with the QB. There can be no slouching on routes and no taking plays off, no mental breakdowns...intelligence is crucial...

Manning changes the plays so much at the line that his receivers have to be intelligent and be able to adapt their routes on the fly.

This proves that Wayne would be a perfect fit in this system and he has proven himself to be a very talented receiver.

I'm with everyone who keeps saying Wayne will be too expensive when you factor in the fact that they reason we are 5-5 this year and not 7-3 or 8-2 is because of the defensive line and the inability for the defense to get pressure on the quarterback without leaving our CBs exposed.

Sure we could use another WR, but the passing game had been vastly improved this year, and there's no reason that with another year in the system it cant get better. Moss will be more experienced, and Jacobs and Cooley will have another year under their belt. Also consider this: this offense used a lot of tight ends. Perhaps instead of signing Wayne, Gibbs may look to draft another underappreciated TE in the 3rd or 4th, kinda like he did with Cooley.

BTW, the problems with the running game I believe begin and end with the scheme and Portis's inability to flourish in it. The talent up front is top notch, and the pass protection this year has been solid to very solid; the coaching staff really needs to look at retooling the running game this offseason so that it fits Portis's skill set better, because every time he has a good game, so do we, and up until the Bucs game, I can't remember a game we lost when he was hitting on all cylinders.

Bottom Line: get new, young, fast talent on the d-line and work on the running game before concering ourselves with a WR which is partly a product of playing alongside one of the games best QBs, WRs, and RBs and who will demand far too much money when you take into account all the more pressing needs this team has.

I'm with everyone who keeps saying Wayne will be too expensive when you factor in the fact that they reason we are 5-5 this year and not 7-3 or 8-2 is because of the defensive line and the inability for the defense to get pressure on the quarterback without leaving our CBs exposed.

Sure we could use another WR, but the passing game had been vastly improved this year, and there's no reason that with another year in the system it cant get better. Moss will be more experienced, and Jacobs and Cooley will have another year under their belt. Also consider this: this offense used a lot of tight ends. Perhaps instead of signing Wayne, Gibbs may look to draft another underappreciated TE in the 3rd or 4th, kinda like he did with Cooley.

BTW, the problems with the running game I believe begin and end with the scheme and Portis's inability to flourish in it. The talent up front is top notch, and the pass protection this year has been solid to very solid; the coaching staff really needs to look at retooling the running game this offseason so that it fits Portis's skill set better, because every time he has a good game, so do we, and up until the Bucs game, I can't remember a game we lost when he was hitting on all cylinders.

Bottom Line: get new, young, fast talent on the d-line and work on the running game before concering ourselves with a WR which is partly a product of playing alongside one of the games best QBs, WRs, and RBs and who will demand far too much money when you take into account all the more pressing needs this team has.

But who are we going to get to address these positions? Freeney (if he makes it to FA) and Abraham will be out of our league with price. Besides those two, nobody left as a FA excites me.

Keenan McCardell is an intriguing name on that list. He is a veteran, but runs great routes and IMO, would be a great fit as a #2 opposite Santana Moss. Besides, his services would most likely be less expensive to attain.

Who's smoking what? Harrison just got a large contract extension, and Freeney will be an UFA unless they franchise him. I would be VERY amazed if the Colts are able to keep Wayne. Monster contracts for Manning (ultra-monster), Harrison, Edge and Freeney mean they WON'T be able to retain their quality 2nd tier players like Wayne, just as they weren't able to hang on to Washington. The Colts MUST win the SB this year, because next year their team is gonna get cap-smacked.

we dont need another receiver.patten admitted to playing hurt since week 2,and next year he will be back healthy. you see how good brunell has played since last years injury comeback. lets add to the defense like try to get colts' freeny instead of colts' receivers.

we dont need another receiver.patten admitted to playing hurt since week 2,and next year he will be back healthy. you see how good brunell has played since last years injury comeback. lets add to the defense like try to get colts' freeny instead of colts' receivers.

I'm no capologist, but I don't buy the argument of many here that you can only address one position problem per year.

Is it really Either/Or? WR or DL?

Archived