Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reggie Wayne a Redskin next year?

wilbur58z

A co-worker of mine who's a Dolphins fan thinks Reggie Wayne will be playing for the Redskins next year. He cited the fact that Wayne played at the U with Portis and Moss and would go to the Redskins to play with them. He also didn't think the Colts would be able to afford Wayne because of all the contracts they need to do, mainly with Freeney, and that Wayne would get offered more money from another team than the Colts could afford due to the weak FA market for wideouts.

It is an interesting theory, not only because of what he said, but also because I think Wayne is the type of receiver Gibbs would go for. He's proven (Gibbs is on record as saying he's leery of drafting receivers), seems to be a hard working guy who's not a prima donna, and physically and speedwise is a Gibbs type receiver.

To me it seems hard to believe we could afford him, but our savings from not resigning Smoot and Pierce may enable us to do it.

I like the idea.

If we can't land a premier DE in FA, I think this is an excellent fall-back plan. Wayne is a proven #2 WR, and would give Moss the room he needs to operate. It would be interesting to see if he would be willing to play second fiddle to Santana, who doesn't at this time quite have the same respect level commanded by Marvin Harrison.

It WONT happen .. like i said above, harrison is near his end ,,,, wayne has been in the league 5 years .... the colts would be TOTAL IDIOTS to let wayne go, if they did they wouldnt have anyone else, esp after harrision leaves.

Put the pipes down now ... i would be VERY shocked if they let him go!

Nope, not gonna happen

Hes younger than harrison, and harrison wont b playin much longer IMO.

Why would they give up their #2 reciever thats going to take Harrisons place as the #1 guy? Manning wouldnt like that and neither would i! :)

Dude, Harrison just extended this year.

Anyway, I also feel Wayne will be very much looked at by the Skins. I saw a sight with free agents and there is definite buzz. His 'U' ties (CP, ST, SM) might just be leaving him little messages.

Harrison still has another good two or three years in him

plus Freeney is a free agent as well this offseason

they can't afford Wayne and Freeney

Wayne is gone in all accounts I am seeing- top reciever in the market- depending. Plus Freeney & Edge.

Indy has to let one go. I'm not sure of Freeneys Situation but the edge might stay.

Doubtful, but it could happen.

1. The Colts are a little stretched for cap room. They signed Manning to that enormous deal, Harrison to a big one, Stokley signed one that I think was a little overpriced, and then there is Edge.

The Colts also have to sign most of their defesive line back and Cato June as well. And that secondary still sucks.

2. Wayne just might be arrogant enough to think that he's all that. I've seen some spats with him and Manning. Wayne may want to go somewhere else to be "the man"

Wherever he goes, he'll be overpaid. I dont think they should go after him unless its on the cheap.

Nope, not gonna happen

Why would they give up their #2 reciever thats going to take Harrisons place as the #1 guy? Manning wouldnt like that and neither would i! :)

Agreed, for all of the reasons you listed.

I think he will be cheaper than any premier defensive end in free agency. He will probably want a similar contract to what Santana got. I still hope Jacobs improves in the next few weeks so we can use that money on the line. I would love to get Hutchinson and a defensive end in free agency. Draft a defensive end in the second and a good tight end in the third (Royal sucks).

I think Gibbs puts such a premium on getting receivers who have proven they can play in the NFL (thanks to Desmond Howard) that he'd go for Wayne before drafting one.

That would leave us in position to use the 2nd and 3rd rounders on defensive lineman, which is really how you get quality lineman because the good ones never reach free agency.

So, in other words, I see us paying reasonably big money for Wayne before we do it for any of the free agent defensive lineman that will be available.

And if we were going to pay Smoot and Pierce, we must have the money to pay Wayne.

I look at it this way. Wayne would be perfect for this team. If we sign him it will be for a decent long term deal with a HUGE signing bonus because the bonuses count less against the cap. In regards to DE's, we could pick up some value players in FA, but we could really get good ones in the draft. I look for this offseason to have a tremendous amount of value signings, for depth purposes, and 1 or 2 top teir siginings.

Am I the only one who thinks he is just a part of Peyton M's system? He is still a great player though, but not as great under Brunell.

I was thinking the same thing. Let's see how good he is not playing for Peyton. It would be just like the Skins to pay big $$$ for a guy that puts up nice numbers only because his is in a perfect situation.

Nope, not gonna happen

too bad the colts dont agree, seeing as how they resigned harrison a few seasons ago......

Archived