Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Would this be acceptable if Joe Gibbs was not head-coach

skinfan2k

Actually that is a very good question. My answer would be hell no. However maybe that was our problem to begin with with Snyder going gaga with big names because he wants to win now. It takes time to build the team, put the winning "culture" in place, get the right grove etc.

I thought it was a big mistake to get rid of Marty and bring in Spurrier only because college coaches have not been that successful right away in the NFL and I knew the mindset of Synder.

Having said that I think Gibbs has made some BIG mistakes with this team. First and formost without even giving time for him to evaluate and see if he can change something in PRamsey he goes out and gets Brunell. I mean if a guy can make Jay and Rypen into a championship winning QB then he sure as hell could have done the same with Ramsey. Then I still can't believe we didn't draft Chris Canty last year and gave up once again the house for a QB that would not be playing for a couple of years. Granted maybe Gibbs is staying with us for the next 3 years so he feels he will groom Cambbell to be the next PManning. We will see. However that debacle with Lavar shows me that he has way too much faith in Gregg Williams and faith has gotten us in trouble.

Yes it would be different. And while I continue to maintain that he is behind the learning curve and still needs to fix things(certain family members of mine do not agree), he does get some of a pass because of his past history. We know that he did it, so it is not beyond reason to think he can do it again. His problem right now seems to be stuck in old ways and unwilling to make neccesary changes because he believes he can do the same thing and be succesful with it. Like implementing the shotgun it may take a while.

And Busch... yes it DOES fall on the coaching staff. The fact that EVERY single offensive player on the redskins has turned the ball over contributing to losses tells me the coaching staff is inept at teaching them how to hold onto the ball. Are you telling me we just happened to draft and signed all of the leagues worst fumblers? Heck no, its the coaching staff that even after many weeks of it cant figure out how to stop it.

And Busch... yes it DOES fall on the coaching staff. The fact that EVERY single offensive player on the redskins has turned the ball over contributing to losses tells me the coaching staff is inept at teaching them how to hold onto the ball. Are you telling me we just happened to draft and signed all of the leagues worst fumblers? Heck no, its the coaching staff that even after many weeks of it cant figure out how to stop it.

I agree. Excessive turnovers and penalties are some of the most significant signs of an undisciplined football team.

Hey Eli the Puker....you obviously need to be schooled on the ole Ball Coach. ...and I love how you talk up Tom Coughlin...who's never even been to the Big Show. I suggest you go to this thread...and put your money where your mouth is:

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128670

LMAO. Yes because Gibbs turned it around in 1954 that means he will do it again. This is a different NFL, the way you go about building a team is different, theres something called Free Agency that wasnt around last time Gibbs was on the sideline. And given how you let both Pierce (thanks by the way) and Smoot slip through the cracks in Gibbs first offseason does nothing but illustrate exactly how different it is.

LMAO. Yes because Gibbs turned it around in 1954 that means he will do it again. This is a different NFL, the way you go about building a team is different, theres something called Free Agency that wasnt around last time Gibbs was on the sideline. And given how you let both Pierce (thanks by the way) and Smoot slip through the cracks in Gibbs first offseason does nothing but illustrate exactly how different it is.

this post exemplifies the need for better birth control

I think that is true. The big question is, how long will it take for Campbell to blossom into a star, and how much longer will Gibbs be coaching? Will Gibbs benefit from Campbell as a coach?

I have a ton of respect for Gibbs, don't want anyone else coaching us right now, and I'm willing to ride this out.

That said, I think the biggest mistake Gibbs has made has been his refusal to put the ball in the hands of Patrick Ramsey and let him go with it for a couple of years. We spent a huge chunk of cap space and a high draft pick on Mark Brunell, and more high picks on Campbell. The reason we are losing is that we are commiting turnovers because our O-line isn't protecting our QB, and our D-line is giving the other team all day to throw and make plays. If Patrick isn't going to be the man, then we could get someone better after two years, but in the meantime, you build the rest of the team - depth at CB and WR, and vitally a D-line and help on the O-line, so that whoever is your QB, they have a system to work with.

Brunell looks good? It doesn't matter. We are on pace to be 8-8 because the rest of the team is falling apart at key positions. We could be 8-8 with Ramsey and be in a much better position to address our most pressing needs.

We really need to get this ship righted now and win now, becuase our poor personell decisions have hamstrung us for the future. I really hope Gibbs can get it done this season from the coaching standpoint.

You couldnt be more right. If we had taken this approach and kept Peirce and Smoot we would be in very very good shape right now.

I know JG didn’t want to sign Smoot and Pierce to bigger contracts than Springs and Washington but that’s not today’s NFL. Players value changes from year to year, even from signing to signing. Just because Springs value was one amount last year doesn’t mean anything about what any player’s value is next year. That is a mistake that absolutely positively can’t happen again under any circumstances.

Eli. Eli, you have a lot to learn in a short period of time. What has Tom Coughlin done as a coach? Yeah he will get you a nice season, maybe get you into the playoffs, than what? He has won nothing! It doesn't matter if you are 1-16, or 16-0. What matters is where you are at the end of Janurary. If you don't win the Super Bowl, you are just like all the other 31 teams. It's all about Championships. Not having a winning record, going to the playoffs and losing in the 2nd round. And if you knew anything about football, Free Agency is a 50, 50 thing. Take a look at the the Yankees, Free Agency has done a wonder for them hasn't it? They have a team full of All Stars, and how many rings do they have to show for it? It's all about building your team through the draft, and molding the young talent you have into a team. The Giants will go to the Playoffs and they will get beat in the first round.

this post exemplifies the need for better birth control

Posts like "The Giants and Cowboys will win no more then 1 or 2 of their remaining games" are far better examples.

You happen to be the biggest homer I have ever seen, of any fan, of any team, in any sport. Even your own homer fans here scoff at you 2/3 of the time

Eli. Eli, you have a lot to learn in a short period of time. What has Tom Coughlin done as a coach? Yeah he will get you a nice season, maybe get you into the playoffs, than what? He has won nothing! It doesn't matter if you are 1-16, or 16-0. What matters is where you are at the end of Janurary. If you don't win the Super Bowl, you are just like all the other 31 teams. It's all about Championships. Not having a winning record, going to the playoffs and losing in the 2nd round. And if you knew anything about football, Free Agency is a 50, 50 thing. Take a look at the the Yankees, Free Agency has done a wonder for them hasn't it? They have a team full of All Stars, and how many rings do they have to show for it? It's all about building your team through the draft, and molding the young talent you have into a team. The Giants will go to the Playoffs and they will get beat in the first round.

Thank you for illustrating your stupidity so evidently. First off I never compared Coughlin and Gibbs, I was using an illustration of how the current coaches in the NFC East produced fast turnarounds for their current teams. Coughlin has to prove he can win a superbowl before i ever even mention him with Gibbs

2nd off, you are comparing the Yankees free agency dealings with the NFL? Theres something called a salary cap in the NFL (although thats never been apparent to a redskin fan until this past offseason).

Gibbs is the best coach in the NFL and the reason for the success of his Nascar team. It all starts with basic human morals. You give a player or driver respect and you get the best that that man can do! This is why everything Gibbs touches eventually turns go gold. We will go to the Super Bowl if Gibbs stays in DC. Its just the way it works with a winner. We are one season away from being dominate again. And by the way, yes we are just a few turnovers from leading the NFC East. If we keep the ball in the next 6 games, we win the division.:2cents:

Archived