Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Would this be acceptable if Joe Gibbs was not head-coach

skinfan2k

If Joe Gibbs were not head coach, what would be the fans reaction to these two losses and the situation with brunell and LA. Suppose Norv was coach or the Ole' Ball Coach(he needed more time), they would want to rip him, but since its Joe, they let him pass. Please do not kill me for this, but don't look what Joe did before. If joe gibbs were a brand new coach in our system, are the last 2 yrs accetable?

the jury would still be out on him if he were a new coach. you figure that any coach's first year is a learning experience with the personnel and with installing the various systems that a winning record is not expected unless you are inheriting a playoff-caliber club which Gibbs was not.

this year the team is 5-5. a better team than last year's version. but still one that makes mistakes and doesn't play smart in the fourth quarter.

how the team finishes this year I think would help to determine whether the coach comes back. If the Skins were to finish 10-6 or 9-7 with a strong finish, I think the coach would come back without question, having improved 3 or 4 games from 2004.

If the team finishes 8-8 but a strong 8-8, meaning playing tough against the Chargers, Cowboys and Giants, I think the coach would also return.

If the team finished any worse than 8-8 and failed to play competitively down the stretch then you would have to question whether or not it is better to move on.

I'm too freakin old to second guess. The man wins. He wins at everything he does comptetitive sports wise. AND his coattails are my resting place.

We lost to the bucs due to the Defense and the freak errors at the end. (studied at a microscopic levels)

We lost to Oakland due to pressure and the 11 throws out of bounds....................... each dot was a throw ;)

We need to get the punting, offense, defense on the same level.

hey guys.. im a diehards skins fan, and my dad has videos and dvds of all the games of the 1980s with gibbs. i just wanted to know ur opinon if this was maybe spurrier's 2nd year. I regret how we let go of marty and marvin lewis. each would have had their system built by now, but nothing is better than gibbs.

No, in todays NFL of win now he would be getting ripped on the radio talk shows etc. Hell look at how many people already take shots at him 26 games into his return, and don't bring up Gregg Williams, people are already saying he's overrated. I appreciate everything Gibbs is doing but the fact of the matter is change his name and this board would be crazy.

:dallasuck :eaglesuck :gaintsuck

If Joe Gibbs were not Head Coach...Patrick Ramsey would most likely be our QB right now and IMO we would probably be 3-7. The fact of the matter is we absolutley need to stop turning the ball over. Many people on this board just don't seem to understand that. Everyone has their scientific analysis of why we are struggling right now and why we are at 5-5. It is because of turnovers. If we continue to turn the ball over we will not be sucessful. It is THAT simple!!!

I'm sick of this "before the season if i told you X" nonsense. Expectations change. I expected this team to be good, and for a brief time it was. And the expectations rose. What if I told you we'd start 3-0 and then go 2-5, you wouldn't be so rosy? This team was good, and crapped on itself, and we have every right to be frustrated. There is no one to blame but the coaches and the team for this lapse. I dont wanna hear anymore bs about injuries either, our coaches need to start adapting better. I think GW managed to make the adjustments necessary before the oakland game on defense, we did OK. The offense disappeared, Gibbs was clearly not ready to use the personnel that we had effectively. If green bay can air it out with ONE starting receiver, we should be OK.

I'm sick of this before the season 'if i told you X" nonsense. Expectations change. I expected this team to be good, and for a brief time it was. And the expectations rose. What if I told you we'd start 3-0 and then go 2-7, you wouldn't be so rosy? This team was good, and crapped on itself, and we have every right to be frustrated. There is no one to blame but the coaches and the team for this lapse. I dont wanna hear anymore bs about injuries either. If green bay can air it out with ONE starting receiver, we should be OK.

is the season 10 games long? does one game wipe out the others?

realistic expectations don't change.

so you've been disappointed before, so you start the negativety to mask the pain of what you hope won't happen.... but you haven't a clue what will happen the next 6 weeks, maybe good maybe not, but Why quit now. it's just starting to get good.

If Joe Gibbs were not head coach, what would be the fans reaction to these two losses and the situation with brunell and LA. Suppose Norv was coach or the Ole' Ball Coach(he needed more time), they would want to rip him, but since its Joe, they let him pass. Please do not kill me for this, but don't look what Joe did before. If joe gibbs were a brand new coach in our system, are the last 2 yrs accetable?

No this would not be acceptable under Norv or Spurrier...

However if we had Bellicheck or Cowhers this would be acceptable. The reason JG gets a pass is because we know he is a great coach, we can trust this man to take us in the right direction.

Fans have faith in proven players and also in proven coaches.

hey guys.. im a diehards skins fan, and my dad has videos and dvds of all the games of the 1980s with gibbs. i just wanted to know ur opinon if this was maybe spurrier's 2nd year. I regret how we let go of marty and marvin lewis. each would have had their system built by now, but nothing is better than gibbs.

Understand your question and it's a good question but the answer would be no resoundly.

I like JG but he's really struggling right now and seems over matched. He's mixed some really poor decisions along with a few really good ones. Does he deserve the chance to fix it? Yes. Can he? I think it all depends on Campbell. If Campbell turns into a star then all of this will be forgotten. If he's a bust, then JG will be remembered as much for a failed return as he is for the trophys he has won.

Listen, Joe Gibbs was one of the 5 or 6 best coaches of all time. Is he any longer? Time will tell. But you guys do tend to give him a pass and talk about what a big rebuilding job he had on his hand. The fact is, other then a couple of young players, the Redskins are a predominantly veteran team. You have 9 starters who are either already 30 or will turn 30 shortly. You have a 35 year old QB. Your younger players like Arrington, Moss and Portis already have a ton of NFL experience under their belt

Tom Coughlin has been with the Giants for the same amount of time that Gibbs has been with you in his 2nd stint. He has a roster where he is grooming a QB who has made 17 starts. A roster where only 4 starters are yet 30 years old, yet he has us in a tie for 1st place and the arrow is pointing squarely up

Andy Reid got the Eagles into the playoffs in his 2nd season with Philly while McNabb was just as inexperienced as Manning.

Bill Parcells took over a horrid Cowboy team and got them into the playoffs in his first year with Quincey Carter at QB.

If he doesn't make the playoffs this year he would be taking heat if his name was anything else but Joe Gibbs.

I won't kill you, but I'll question your football IQ severely- SPURRIER NEEDED MORE TIME :laugh: :laugh:

Don't ever repeat that again.

Listen, Joe Gibbs was one of the 5 or 6 best coaches of all time. Is he any longer? Time will tell. But you guys do tend to give him a pass and talk about what a big rebuilding job he had on his hand. The fact is, other then a couple of young players, the Redskins are a predominantly veteran team. You have 9 starters who are either already 30 or will turn 30 shortly. You have a 35 year old QB. Your younger players like Arrington, Moss and Portis already have a ton of NFL experience under their belt

Tom Coughlin has been with the Giants for the same amount of time that Gibbs has been with you in his 2nd stint. He has a roster where he is grooming a QB who has made 17 starts. A roster where only 4 starters are yet 30 years old, yet he has us in a tie for 1st place and the arrow is pointing squarely up

Andy Reid got the Eagles into the playoffs in his 2nd season with Philly while McNabb was just as inexperienced as Manning.

Bill Parcells took over a horrid Cowboy team and got them into the playoffs in his first year with Quincey Carter at QB.

If he doesn't make the playoffs this year he would be taking heat if his name was anything else but Joe Gibbs.

JG has made some mistakes that has really hurt. There's no doubting that but most believe he will eventually figure it out where no one had a reason to have that confidence in the others.

This organization was decaying from within before Joe Gibbs arrived. It had a pretty coat of paint on top of it, but the foundation was cracked, the frame was rotting and many of the players weren't as good as touted.

He completely turned around the culture in less than one season, but he is still having to deal with personnel issues, the vast majority of which obviously aren't his doing.

This is a team that is learning to win. If people can't see this is a better team than two years ago or even one year ago, then I don't know what to say.

Most people thought it would take 2-3 years to turn things around when Gibbs was hired. We still have a ways to go. It's hard to be patient, but things are headed in the right direction. If we could actually hold on to the ball, we would probably be 7-3 and ahead of the 2-3 year timeframe.

Has Gibbs made mistakes? Sure, but I saw what he did in the past and I'm willing to trust him. Last time I checked, he hadn't commited any of the turnovers that cost us the games. It's time for the players to step it up. When they do, you will all see that Joe Gibbs knows what he's doing.

Hey Eli the Puker....you obviously need to be schooled on the ole Ball Coach. ...and I love how you talk up Tom Coughlin...who's never even been to the Big Show. I suggest you go to this thread...and put your money where your mouth is:

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128670

If Joe Gibbs were not Head Coach...Patrick Ramsey would most likely be our QB right now and IMO we would probably be 3-7. The fact of the matter is we absolutley need to stop turning the ball over. Many people on this board just don't seem to understand that. Everyone has their scientific analysis of why we are struggling right now and why we are at 5-5. It is because of turnovers. If we continue to turn the ball over we will not be sucessful. It is THAT simple!!!

I'm with you on the turnovers Hail. We've got folks already dissecting the FA market and next year's draft. :doh: Stop turning the d@mn ball over and this team is the talk of the NFL.

I like JG but he's really struggling right now and seems over matched. He's mixed some really poor decisions along with a few really good ones. Does he deserve the chance to fix it? Yes. Can he? I think it all depends on Campbell. If Campbell turns into a star then all of this will be forgotten. If he's a bust, then JG will be remembered as much for a failed return as he is for the trophys he has won.

I think that is true. The big question is, how long will it take for Campbell to blossom into a star, and how much longer will Gibbs be coaching? Will Gibbs benefit from Campbell as a coach?

I have a ton of respect for Gibbs, don't want anyone else coaching us right now, and I'm willing to ride this out.

That said, I think the biggest mistake Gibbs has made has been his refusal to put the ball in the hands of Patrick Ramsey and let him go with it for a couple of years. We spent a huge chunk of cap space and a high draft pick on Mark Brunell, and more high picks on Campbell. The reason we are losing is that we are commiting turnovers because our O-line isn't protecting our QB, and our D-line is giving the other team all day to throw and make plays. If Patrick isn't going to be the man, then we could get someone better after two years, but in the meantime, you build the rest of the team - depth at CB and WR, and vitally a D-line and help on the O-line, so that whoever is your QB, they have a system to work with.

Brunell looks good? It doesn't matter. We are on pace to be 8-8 because the rest of the team is falling apart at key positions. We could be 8-8 with Ramsey and be in a much better position to address our most pressing needs.

We really need to get this ship righted now and win now, becuase our poor personell decisions have hamstrung us for the future. I really hope Gibbs can get it done this season from the coaching standpoint.

Players turning the ball over at key situations doesn't fall on the coaching staff!

Minus the Giants game, if we don't turn the ball over we win all of them, rather easily. We would be 9-1 right now without turnovers. No questions asked, fumbling and interceptions come down to the players lack of concentration.

Somehow we still won the first 3 games while losing the turnover battle. To me, the coaches made up for that in their schemes and abilities.

Archived