Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If this doesn't give you all faith...nothing will!

FunBunch7

To be optomistic....you can also apply that to last year, we finished much stronger than last year.

Also, why Gibbs teams do well down the strech.....Conditioning.

The hard practices actually gear them for the final strech.

I'm not sold at all that we'll run the table or anything BTW.

Right now, 8-8 looks good to me the way the team has played the last 2 weeks (TB- O great, D inconsistent), (Oak- D great, O inconsistent).

In both of Gibbs' last two seasons the Skins have had a losing record over the last 7 games.

Recent trends are more meaningful IMO.

8-8 is really the best that can be hoped for at this point.

8-8, you and everyone else "predicting" mediocrity should be ashamed!!!!! I don't care if you are reserved in thinking that we can't make the post-season, but quit being negative in a thread that everyone is trying to be positive in. I'm sick of it!!!!:dallasuck :gaintsuck :eaglesuck

The 84 and 85 teams were a squad that had been to two Super Bowls already. They went through some rough patches as established veterans were gradually replaced, but they were proven solid teams making some adjustments. Not a good comparison.

89 on the other hand could end up being similar. That team was just starting to put some new key pieces in place (Byner, Rypien) and find its identity. Still, they had some core players still in place (OL, Monk, Clark, Sanders, Green, etc.) which made the team always just a few tweaks away from greatness. I wish we were just making adjustments around such a solid base of players.

Some of us fans grasp at the 81 season every time we start out with a losing or break-even record. It was only what it was because of what happened next. Surging back to near .500 is only meaningful if its a springboard to better things.

I think we have the talent and heart to finish strong. Whether we match that with execution, and whether other things fall into place for us to make the playoffs...that's why I'll still be watching every week!

In both of Gibbs' last two seasons the Skins have had a losing record over the last 7 games.

Recent trends are more meaningful IMO.

8-8 is really the best that can be hoped for at this point.

What a maroon!!!!!!

You're going to say that recent trends are more meaningful, yet consider the '92 season as part of the last 2 seasons?!?!?!?

Why is 8-8 the best that can be hoped for????? What kind of idiotic logic is the basis for that statement? Because pessimism is more "realistic?" PA-LEASE!

For one thing, 8-8 can get the Skins into the playoffs. That got two teams in last year. The Vikings, 6-4 at the same point last year, backed into the playoffs, finishing 2-4. The Rams, 5-5 after 10 games (and dropped their next game, too) finished 8-8 and won their wildcard game.

Destined for 8-8? Last year, the Seahawks were 6-4 after 10 games, but dropped their next two. They finished by winning 3 out of their next 4 and won their division.

Want more 5-5 teams who made a late push into the playoffs? in '03, The 5-5 Ravens finished 9-7 and snagged a Wild Card slot. The '03 Packers were 5-5 but finished 10-6 and won their division.

In '02, The Jets were 5-5 and won their Division by finishing 9-7. The Browns were also 5-5 and snagged a wild card spot by also finishing 9-7.

A couple of other teams with mediocre records late in '02: The Steelers were 5-4-1 after ten games. They finished 10-5-1 and won their division. The Giants, 6-4 after ten, dropped their next two and sat at 6-6. They won their last four and grabbed a Wild Card slot.

There's your recent trends, FOOL!

Go away, you dolt!

What it means is that Gibbs' teams play better football late in the season. The problem is that, at 5-5, "better football" is 9-7 which likely won't get us a playoff spot. We need to play dominant football from here on out, and we've got a tough opponent in the Chargers to start that stretch.

Heck, I want to believe that we go 11-5, 10-6 or 9-7 (I was guessing 10-6,9-7 at the beginning of the year).

But the facts are:

We play alot of good teams down the strech.

Tampa was a toss up.

Oakland we should have won at home.

The Chargers will be a very tough game.

We should beat the Cardnials (but we have played poor on the road).

The Rams are a tough home team (again we play poor on the road this year).

Cowboys are always a difficult game (no explanation needed)

Giants are playing very well (although they struggle on the road)

Eagles are tough at the Linc. (again tough road game with NFCE rival).

4-2 or 3-3 at the end would be great.

And don't forget, the Skins (this year) have played better when nobody thinks we can do anything. We have played poorly the last 2 weeks.

I can't blame anybody here for saying 8-8. This is no cake schedule.

Now if somebody starts touting 6-10......then have at them.

Let's take a little trip back to 4 seasons when Gibbs was coach the first time around...

1981 season...Skins started 0-5...went 8-3 down the stretch to finish 8-8. Skins won the Super Bowl the next season!

still don't believe?

1984 season...Skins started 5-4...went 6-1 down the stretch to finish 11-5 and won division.

still don't believe?

1985 season...Skins started....hmmmm...5-5...lost Joe Theisman to broken leg week 11...went 5-1 down the stretch to finsih 10-6...missed the playoffs becvause at this time there were only 2 wild cards. Skins won Super Bowl 2 years later!

still don't beleive?

1989 season...Skins started 5-6...went 5-0 down the stretch to finish 10-6...missed playoffs because only 2 wild cards at the time. Skins won Super Bowl 2 years later!

There are still only 2 wild cards. There were three until the reallignment of the conferences and divisions keeping 6 teams within a conference making the playoffs.

Our last two games have killed us. Both should have been wins. The view would look a lot different from a 7-3 perch (still with only one conference loss) than it does now from 5-5. IMHO because of the multiple teams ahead of us in the NFC East and South, we need 10 wins to make the playoffs, and even then we'll need to cross our fingers.

There are still only 2 wild cards. There were three until the reallignment of the conferences and divisions keeping 6 teams within a conference making the playoffs.

I understand that there are still only 2 wild cards...but by thinning the division out to 4 teams in each AND having the #3 and #4 division winners playing host to the 2 wild cards, makes the entire first round, "wild card" weekend.

Bottom line, 6 teams advance now when there used to only be 5 teams. In both 1985 and 1989 we were the #6 team, but they only allwoed 5 in the playoffs.

What a maroon!!!!!!

You're going to say that recent trends are more meaningful, yet consider the '92 season as part of the last 2 seasons?!?!?!?

Why is 8-8 the best that can be hoped for????? What kind of idiotic logic is the basis for that statement? Because pessimism is more "realistic?" PA-LEASE!

For one thing, 8-8 can get the Skins into the playoffs. That got two teams in last year. The Vikings, 6-4 at the same point last year, backed into the playoffs, finishing 2-4. The Rams, 5-5 after 10 games (and dropped their next game, too) finished 8-8 and won their wildcard game.

Destined for 8-8? Last year, the Seahawks were 6-4 after 10 games, but dropped their next two. They finished by winning 3 out of their next 4 and won their division.

Want more 5-5 teams who made a late push into the playoffs? in '03, The 5-5 Ravens finished 9-7 and snagged a Wild Card slot. The '03 Packers were 5-5 but finished 10-6 and won their division.

In '02, The Jets were 5-5 and won their Division by finishing 9-7. The Browns were also 5-5 and snagged a wild card spot by also finishing 9-7.

A couple of other teams with mediocre records late in '02: The Steelers were 5-4-1 after ten games. They finished 10-5-1 and won their division. The Giants, 6-4 after ten, dropped their next two and sat at 6-6. They won their last four and grabbed a Wild Card slot.

Go away, you dolt!

Unbunch your panties. What has THIS team done THIS year to make you think they will go 5-1 or 4-2 down the stretch? 9-7 will not make the playoffs in the NFC this year. If it does there will be tiebreakers involved. I hope the skins run the table but I don't think they will. Does that make me a fool? I think your are the fool for attacking someone who is using his head, not his heart! :logo:

It's 2005 and it won't happen. My prediction is 8-8 at best.
Hmmmm, it won't happen because you are a expert at what? Can you explain what you are basing your 8-8 prediction on? You guys that call yourselves Redskins fans and do BS like this kill me.

BTW, thanks to your sig...I am going to have nightmares for at least a week.

Hmmmm, it won't happen because you are a expert at what? Can you explain what you are basing your 8-8 prediction on? You guys that call yourselves Redskins fans and do BS like this kill me.

So anyone who didn't predict a 16-0 season is a bad Skins fan? :doh: It's his opinion. Just like your opinion is that the Skins will never lose another game :) .

What a maroon!!!!!!

Go away, you dolt!

What is with all the name calling..? This is a message board where people give opinions and if you don't agree then explain why. But name calling is not called for.

This is 20 years ago. The game has changed dramaticlly in that time. I don't think you can make any comparisons between now and then.

Only a person in their 20s thinks 20 years is a long time. :)

Some of the facets of the game may have changed, but football is still football.

One key to victory would be HOLDING ON TO THE DAMN BALL!!!

What irks me are the people who say that what happened twenty years ago has no bearing on what is happening now. Yet, as I put forth in my previous post, that current trends say, rather strongly, that being 5-5 isn't really a predictor--at all, one way or another--about whether or not a team will make the playoffs. That 9-7 teams routinely make the playoffs. And the 8-8 can get you in the playoffs as well.

If you look at the teams that are ahead of the Skins in the playoff race (and I'm excluding the Bears and Seattle because I don't think any other teams in their respective divisions are likely to make a run for the playoffs), I think you'll see that any one of them could struggle down the stretch. The teams in the NFC South play each other a bunch, and that will affect their divisional record as well as their won-loss record. The Skins still play every team their division one more time, and can make up some ground in those games, as well.

I've seen many a team snap out of much worse slumps than the one the Skins are in, right now. Last year, Seattle lost 3 in a row at one point in the first half of the season. And they went through another stretch in the second half where they lost 4 out of 6 games.

Yes. The Skins lost the past two games and should have won them. They ARE struggling with some things. They've put themselves in a tough spot. What it comes down to is that the Skins, like Gibbs said after Sunday's game, are going to have to play themselves out of this funk.

And this Skins team isn't any more or any less capable of doing just that than the other several teams I mentioned above. I'm with the people who believe the Skins have the right coach to play themselves out of this funk, because he's shown in the past he can do it. That he, in fact, has a gift for it. If coaches like Mike Holmgren and Bill Cowher -- heck, even the likes of Mike Sherman and Butch Davis -- can coach their way out of similar predicaments, then Joe Gibbs can. I'm not predicting he will, though. That's as foolish as predicting he won't. Well, almost.

Only a person in their 20s thinks 20 years is a long time. :)

Some of the facets of the game may have changed, but football is still football.

One key to victory would be HOLDING ON TO THE DAMN BALL!!!

I don't think matters if ya 26 or a 126. 20 years is still a long time. I just don't see how because a team in the mid 80's did certain things. That this means because the same head coach is there that the same things are going to happen. The main part of a team are the players and there aren't any left from those sides.

Archived