Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If we want to improve next year, we must trade or cut Lavar

bhi4582

I feel if we can't get a 1st round pick or a top flight DE for Arrington, then we need to keep him and yes, maximize his talent. --- Unleash the fury!

I too am getting a little frustrated with the threads regarding LaVar. I am a LaVar supporter. Am I disappointed with the WT article. Absolutely.

But I try to look at it from a football perspective. Pre Gibbs/Williams, LaVar was given carte blanche.. and his talents and skills are what got him the contract he got before Gibbs and Williams took over.

Now WIlliams wants LaVar to play within a structured defense. Nothing wrong with that. But after years of playing one way, and then the year with the injury, I believe if given another year and he stays healthy, he will be unleashed to a point with some structure to "do his thing". He just needs to get with the program... it's harder to break hold habits.. and they're getting there. He needs a healthy off season.

Perhaps we'll find out he's had enough time despite his injury and he isn't as talented given the structure of a GW defense.. but I think the Redskins should at least give him the chance. It wasn't his fault he had as many defensive coordinators as he had years with the team. It'd blow my mind as well.

That said.. I am definitely disappointed with the WT article.. both with LA and with the WT for even going there this close to such an important game. It's no wonder I never read it anyway.

Sorry for the soapbox.

Some of us need to sit in a corner and think about what we just wrote.

Anyone who saw last Sunday's game witness just how important LaVar is to this defense. He was able to disrupt plays in the backfield, caused Tiki to hesitate on the HB-option pass play, ran with Tiki all over the field, and stops plays in the flat for short yardage. He was not just a contributor, as some in this thread are describing, he was a major factor just like M. Washington and C. Griffen.

His ability to do those things frees up M. Washington to attack the QB. I support all of the players on this team, but I don't think we have another WLB with the capabilities to handle those tasks as well.

Let's stop the he's not important or valuable stuff.

Man I bleed burgundy and gold but I agree that if the organization says it then the fans will turn on a player quick on this forum.

RealTalk.

Example:

:kiss:

When Laverneous Coles came to the Redskins.

:finger:

When Laverneous Coles didnt want to be with the Redskins anymore.

:cheers:

When Laverneous Coles got traded for Santana Moss.

Hell I admit that I dont want LaVar to be here in DC anymore...

We as Redskins fans hold on to what I call Mike Tyson syndrome regarding Lavar. We remember the old Lavar, Awesome, one of the most physically gifted LB ever to play. We see flashes, glimpses of that even now but we must face it, he's not the same Lavar. He's not worth his contract and even he predicted with the amount of money he's due to make he will be released or traded. Thats a pretty good assumption.

Why are there so many LA supporters? This guy has been a taker since he has been here. He's caused more backlash and locker room problems then any player. His play is average at best. Even if he can become the raging bull he once was as a rookie (which I doubt) he does not command a $12M cap hit. The cap will be at $92M next year and we have some restructuring to do with many players. The largest deal will be Samuels as he will take most of his salary as new bonus to reduce the cap hit. He can save about $7M w/o taking any pay cut. LA needs to actually give back some money with a restructure in order for me to accept him being on the 53 man roster. There isn't a team out there that will accept his current contract. I would imagine that he could get about $2.5M for a single season with some incentives.

As far as Lavar he has done some incredible things as a Redskins and now he has to learn to be part of the puzzle instead of the Center Piece. I am sure it was a blow to his ego to go from always being the dominate player and the scheme the defense is built around since Highschool and through College and even in the pro's to being part of a scheme were he has to stay in his area or lane instead of free lancing. this is a big change for him mentally and let alone as Rmasey he has seen many different coaches and schemes since becoming a redskin! I am sure he wants to be a redskin for life like he said and I am sure he is worried about not being here next year as he wants to be here and be part of a winner because he sure has not had that chance here. I am sure he will restructure if necessary, I am sure he does not want to be traded to San Fran or another loosing franchise and have to want for it to be rebuilt to win when he can stay put and win here and see a superbowl in the coming years, that is why he is afraid of being traded!

The only way LA is not going to be here next year is if he retires. I think when it is all said and done, LA will rework his contract in the offseason as a way of saving face with the team and fans. I could be wrong, but I'm hoping I'm right. Either way, it makes no sense to cut him and eat the cap. He makes too much to be traded, and honestly hasn't YET performed to his contract, so no team will want to pay him that much and give up the picks that we would want in return.

LA bleeds burgondy and gold, It wasn't that long ago, that he was the only exciting player to watch on the team and was marketed as such. I'm not giving up on him, Joe Gibbs, or the rest of the team to make this work out.

HTTR

this is not the answer..you cut LA, you further infuriate the fan base. Put him in on third and take the damn leash off.

A-FREAKING-MEN!!!!!

It's funny...People here are saying that Lavar isn't what he used to be. Stop freelancing. That he needs to be more of a "team player", to fit into the scheme.

Don't you realize that the Lavar that we first saw, blowing our minds, was Lavar the "freelancer". That he made those plays by himself, "freelancing"? They're trying to keep a leash on him now, so obviously you're not gonna see him blowing up those big plays when he's worried about stuffing the gap and maintaining his assignment.

Lavar is still Lavar. I think he can still do anything he's done in the past. Maybe he's still a little rusty from the injury and then riding the pine alot this year. But when the coaches are playing him the way they are, you're not going to notice him as much because he is part of the team now.

Archived