Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If we want to improve next year, we must trade or cut Lavar

bhi4582

I'm sorry but this is just foolish. You do not improve by getting rid of good players. We got rid of Smoot and Pierce, are we better? No. You have to get better at weak spots and stay the same everywhere else, not fill a weak spot and create another. Who did we plan to start at WLB? Folding chair Holdman?

Also the person that said great players make several big plays a game.....

-Marcus Washington has played every game. He has 5 "stuffs" (tackles for a loss).

-Lemar Marshal has played every game. He has 3 stuffs.

-LaVar Arrington has not played full time for most of the season. He has 6 stuffs.

That says that this guy who fans here claim doesn't make a lot of big plays is making more of them in half the time then any other starting linebacker. It continues to amaze me how people hold Arrington up to an impossible standard and then declare him a bad player.

OK we're 2-3 since LA has become the starter he has forced no TO's are number one problem and we have not increased are sack production are number 2 problem, by the way LA makes way more then his two running mates, so yes Lavar does get held to a higher standard.

Also I don't consider either LB a great player the way some consider LA a top tier OLB. Here's the breakdown Marcus is a pro-bowl caliber OLB, Marshall is a serviceable MLB who should be playing WLB, where he was better, who by the way is not better then Lavar. Those who feel Lavar is worth his contract, more power to you, I just don't see it.

:dallasuck :eaglesuck :gaintsuck

This is what will happen! Lavar willbe traded/released/cut or whatever. The fans that wanted him gone will be happy. Then he is on another team, comes back and ends the career of Jason Campbell, and then all the haters will start crying "Why did we get rid of Lavar? I hate Snyder":doh: :doh: :doh:

Ouch!!!

I agree. It hurts. Thats why I think it is so crucial that we make the playoffs this season and prove that this team is built to win now. I think we are capable of winning every game remaining on our schedule, but the fact is we are 2-5 since beating Seattle in week 3. If we find that this team as it now stands can't get it done, I'm not optimistic about the future given our inability to generate a pass rush.

As for LaVar, if we can work out some deal where we can trade him for a pass rusher, it may be worth it. If not, might as well play him as much as possible (3rd downs included). He just might force the opposing QB to blink once or twice, unlike anyone else on the D.

Hopefully we sign Lavar to a long-term contract right away with a much friendlier cap hit next year. If we can get a couple of other guys to restructure, then we will be able to sign a good DE and WR. We won't be able to do much more than that but we may not need to.

OK we're 2-3 since LA has become the starter he has forced no TO's are number one problem and we have not increased are sack production are number 2 problem, by the way LA makes way more then his two running mates, so yes Lavar does get held to a higher standard.

Also I don't consider either LB a great player the way some consider LA a top tier OLB. Here's the breakdown Marcus is a pro-bowl caliber OLB, Marshall is a serviceable MLB who should be playing WLB, where he was better, who by the way is not better then Lavar. Those who feel Lavar is worth his contract, more power to you, I just don't see it.

I think one of the reasons LA appears not to be worth his contract is because he is shuffled around different positions every year. Plus, he gets a different scheme from a different D-Coordinator every Coaching change. He needs a stable position, and he needs to be unleashed withing the scheme. Ofcourse;)

My take is that since Arrington is on the roster, why not maximize the abilities he possesses rather than allowing them to rot on the bench.

At this point, what are the alternatives? The defense has already established itself as not being as strong or efficient as last year's unit, as a result of a variety of factors. Even during his limited playing time this season, he has displayed a penchant for making a good play or two. Heck, its better than watching Holdman every week not make plays.

Play LaVar this season and cross next year's bridge of deciding what to do with him as we encounter it.

I understand where you're coming from but Clemons, who took Lavar's pass rushing duties, had a sack and hit Collins arm to force the only TD of the game. I don't see LA having a bigger impact then that if he were to play on 3rd downs. One more thing LA is better then Holdman thus he should be the starter, I'm not arguing that, I just don't view Lavar as the dominate force that some see him as.

I understand where you're coming from but Clemons, who took Lavar's pass rushing duties, had a sack and hit Collins arm to force the only TD of the game. I don't see LA having a bigger impact then that if he were to play on 3rd downs. One more thing LA is better then Holdman thus he should be the starter, I'm not arguing that, I just don't view Lavar as the dominate force that some see him as.

I think people dont see as a dominant player because he is always dropping back in zone coverages.

When a guy is bad it's his fault, when an entire unit is bad it's the coaches fault. The defense this year took a monster step back and as a unit has failed to produce much of anything. You can't pin that overall lack of TO production on Lavar.

He is doing what he can do and that is make plays in a limited time he is put on the field. He is making more plays behind the opponent LoS then the other LB in HALF the time. Players like that are expensive because they are rare. Also the coaches benched him for going outside the sceme so the "creativity" that makes great players great has been killed and gotten rid of. We'd be doing Lavar a favor by getting rid of him, all previous defensive coordinators were able to use Lavar's talents to help the team.....Blache is more concerned with trashing him and promoting his former bear losers then doing the same.

Jason Campbell? Can anyone please enlighten me on exactly what makes you believe this guy will have any kind of a career in the NFL? Because Joe says so? Don't get me wrong, Joe is a God in my eyes but I don't see Campbell ever amounting to anything more than a jourey QB in this league, at best. Nothing he did at Auburn makes me believe otherwise, nothing at all.

As for Lavar: ( In what everyone would agree is limited play time )

5th on D in Tackles with 25

1st on D in Tackles for loss with 6

Has zero INTs on a team with only 5 !!! :yikes:

Has zero Fum Rec on a team with only !!! 8 :yikes:

For the people who want Lavar to do more, Play him more!!!

Cincy has more INTs in 3 games than we have turnovers all season!

The same people who want Lavar to produce more than everyone else on the team as a limited time player are the same ones who reverse the arguement when defending Portis as "Just as good as LT" :yikes:, because he doesn't have the same opportunities as LT does to score TDs. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

*shakes head* :doh:

:eaglesuck :gaintsuck :dallasuck

I'm sorry but this is just foolish. You do not improve by getting rid of good players. We got rid of Smoot and Pierce, are we better? No. You have to get better at weak spots and stay the same everywhere else, not fill a weak spot and create another. Who did we plan to start at WLB? Folding chair Holdman?

-Marcus Washington has played every game. He has 5 "stuffs" (tackles for a loss).

-LaVar Arrington has not played full time for most of the season. He has 6 stuffs.

That says that this guy who fans here claim doesn't make a lot of big plays is making more of them in half the time then any other starting linebacker. It continues to amaze me how people hold Arrington up to an impossible standard and then declare him a bad player.

:applause: You nailed it. The flat-earth society doesn't know the difference between under-played & over-paid. Lavar has conclusively outplayed everyone with the less playing time.

When a guy is bad it's his fault, when an entire unit is bad it's the coaches fault. The defense this year took a monster step back and as a unit has failed to produce much of anything. You can't pin that overall lack of TO production on Lavar.

He is doing what he can do and that is make plays in a limited time he is put on the field. He is making more plays behind the opponent LoS then the other LB in HALF the time. Players like that are expensive because they are rare. Also the coaches benched him for going outside the sceme so the "creativity" that makes great players great has been killed and gotten rid of. We'd be doing Lavar a favor by getting rid of him, all previous defensive coordinators were able to use Lavar's talents to help the team.....Blache is more concerned with trashing him and promoting his former bear losers then doing the same.

I'm not arguing with you anymore, you think the world of Lavar and he's worth his contract, I think he's overrated and overpaid. It's obvious we disagree so lets just agree to disagree or we can keep throwing facts and stats at each other and quit in another hour.

Other then look better then Holdman, which isn't exactly hard to do, what has Lavar done to make you think he's worth the contract he's got? One of the best defenders, I'm not to sure about that I'll take

1. Sean Taylor

2. Marcus Washington

3. Corn. Griffin

4. Shawn Springs

Lavar makes more then all those guys and is not as important as them. Lavar is a good player but he's getting franchise player money, he is not a franchise player.

Funny, Arrington has more probowls than the rest of the defense combined. And it doesn't look like that is going to change either.

Lavar's standard is set by his salary - which is commensurate with that of an All-Pro LB - don't confuse this with Pro Bowl. He salary is along the lines of a player who is a perennial threat to be defensive MVP - an Ed Reed, Dwight Freeney, Julius Peppers-type.

So far, for whatever reason (blame whoever you like) he has not produced like that. Even in his best seasons he has not produced like that. To keep him on at his current salary would be a disserve to the team. He's not even an every down linebacker! Unless he can attain heights he has not yet reached, and judging by the general confidence or lack thereof from the staff he won't, he is not worth keeping around. I think it's safe to say that we are seeing Lavar's last 6 games as a Redskin.

That is, unless he agrees to a pay cut. I think we will see pigs fly before this happens.

Whoever said our Deffense is more talented then most in the league is correct. The problem is we aren't balanced. Any QB can beat you if you give him all day to throw. We have an above average secondary, an above average linebacking core, and a horrendous D line. One reason, Lavar is taking 10 million of cap room. So we have absolutely NO room to manuever to improve our D line unless we unload that contract. If not we will have the exact same team with no pass rush and no receiver opposite moss. Other notable high contracts are Portis, Moss, and Griffin. You make the choice. I think the clear cut answer is Lavar has to go. Unless of course he restructures then I'm in favor of keeping him. I'm sure he'll jump in line to do that after his latest contract disputes. So we can continue to have an average player eating up our cap room or we can go get some much needed passrushers.

Lavar may be overpaid, but that is water under the dam. It will cost us as much cap space to get rid of him as it does to keep him, so we will be better off if we keep him and play him - he is a good player, not a drag on the team. We (Danny) made the mistake of giving him a HUGE contract which we can't get out of, so we are stuck and should make the best of a bad situation by playing him for the forseeable future and getting the most production out of him we can. He may even be worth his contract if he continues to produce and improve like he has the past few games.

i say trade gregg williams for a good used team bus and keep lavar. personel

wise,looking at other defenses we have some of the best players in the league.if anything, continue to tweak the offense and get rid of fumble fingers brunell with his huge contract.

:applause: Good point. Interesting how the anti-Lavar faction has nothing to say about the offenses contracts which couldn't score a TD against the Raiders. They should start with them & work down to defense if they want to trim fat. Brunell, Portis, Samuels, Jansen.

Archived