Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If we want to improve next year, we must trade or cut Lavar

bhi4582

We are already more than 5 million over the cap for next year. I know the cap will go up but it won't be to much more then 5 million if at all. We have a few pending free-agents, luckily nobody prominent. We must upgrade at many positions but with no cap room and no 1st round pick, how the hell are we gonna do that? IF we trade him we'd still have to absorb a big cap hit. We would be responsible for paying the remainder of his bonus and his base contract is very small, not even a million. So the team we trade with would get him for that. That would secure us hopefully a first rounder, or high second. Our other option would be to cut him, in which we would balance the cap hit over the next two season, screwing us for 2007 mind you. This could provide us with 4-5 million this season to go after a pass rusher, WR, MLB, etc...

what kind of drugs are you smoking.... nice analysis guy, trade or cut one of best Def players.

Other then look better then Holdman, which isn't exactly hard to do, what has Lavar done to make you think he's worth the contract he's got? One of the best defenders, I'm not to sure about that I'll take

1. Sean Taylor

2. Marcus Washington

3. Corn. Griffin

4. Shawn Springs

Lavar makes more then all those guys and is not as important as them. Lavar is a good player but he's getting franchise player money, he is not a franchise player.

:dallasuck :eaglesuck :gaintsuck

this is not the answer..you cut LA, you further infuriate the fan base. Put him in on third and take the damn leash off.

You maybe infuriated and Lavar supporters maybe infuriated but please don't speak for the entire fan base. Lavar supporters are just louder then his detractors.

His he really worth his contract? That is a valid question and I've seen a few posters that say no.

Whether people like it or not, cutting or trading LaVar will have to be discussed next year by management. I like a deal in which LaVar repays some of his bonus money and then is traded to a team of his choice for two draft choices, perhaps a #2 and #3. I think we also need to try and trade a QB, with Ramsey the most likely choice. There are many teams needing a QB and very few good ones in the draft. Patrick should command a #2. With the choices, we need to draft two DL, a CB and a TE.

Can we continue to take a massive cap hit each season in order to rid us of the services of one player?

Keep Arrington and maximize the unique skills he brings to the table.

Valid question about the cap hit every season, but what unique skill does he bring to the table. He had one nice play against Jordan and one nice play against Westbrook and a great game against the woeful Niners.

I expect the highest paid player to make numerous plays a game like the hits mentioned, not just one and done and 5 tackles elsewhere. To see people say how great Lavar is after making one play is kind of funny, ask yourself what did he do the rest of the game, franchise players make impact plays throughout the course of the game, not just one play. Lavar is overpaid plain and simple.

Valid question about the cap hit every season, but what unique skill does he bring to the table. He had one nice play against Jordan and one nice play against Westbrook and a great game against the woeful Niners.

I expect the highest paid player to make numerous plays a game like the hits mentioned, not just one and done and 5 tackles elsewhere. To see people say how great Lavar is after making one play is kind of funny, ask yourself what did he do the rest of the game, franchise players make impact plays throughout the course of the game, not just one play. Lavar is overpaid plain and simple.

Question: How can he make more plays when he doesn't even play every down?

Question: How can he make more plays when he doesn't even play every down?

He doesn't play every down because Clemons is a better pass rusher then LA, for one.

Secondly I like Lavar there is something to be said for guys that have a lot of time in an organization, my problem is our cap is suffering because he's not earning his money. If he did play like L. Taylor or any other great LB it would be a different story, but he doesn't change the course of a game the way great LB's do, thus he is overpaid and not performing up to his contract which hurts the team as a whole.

I don't see LaVar as our main problem. Nor do I think getting rid of him in the offseason is much of an option given the cap hit. Exactly what is our cap situation next season? I know Coles cost us big this year, but doesn't that open space for us next year? Also who are our free agents?

My major concern is going 8-8 this season and missing the playoffs. That would mean that we need to make some real changes in order to be competative in the future, and with no 1st round pick, and the expense of good Defensive linemen, I don't see much hope.

Hate to say it guys, but in hindsight, Gibbs has really messed up the QB situation. If we were going to go 6-10 last year and if we are headed for 8-8 this season, we should have stuck with Ramsey. Signing Brunell has hurt our cap situation, and drafting Campbell cost us dearly in the draft. Both of these things mean that unless we are really lucky, there is no help for our D-line before 2007. Sure, seeing Brunell's resurgence has been great, but in the end if we are still only .500, was it really worth it?

Trading Lavar is the dumbest thing we can do. He still has had only a few games under this system. He is a gamebreaker. We will never be able to see how good any of our linebackers and DB's are until we have a pass rush. LA is made to be the scape goat on this board and it is idiotic. Say we trade him for picks... then we are right back at square one with rookies while some team laughs at how the Redskins gave up one of the best OLB's in the game. Wake up people!! Do you have anything between your ears?

Hate to say it guys, but in hindsight, Gibbs has really messed up the QB situation. If we were going to go 6-10 last year and if we are headed for 8-8 this season, we should have stuck with Ramsey. Signing Brunell has hurt our cap situation, and drafting Campbell cost us dearly in the draft. Both of these things mean that unless we are really lucky, there is no help for our D-line before 2007. Sure, seeing Brunell's resurgence has been great, but in the end if we are still only .500, was it really worth it?

I take it your banking on the "fact" Campbell can't play in this league?

I'm sorry but this is just foolish. You do not improve by getting rid of good players. We got rid of Smoot and Pierce, are we better? No. You have to get better at weak spots and stay the same everywhere else, not fill a weak spot and create another. Who did we plan to start at WLB? Folding chair Holdman?

Also the person that said great players make several big plays a game.....

-Marcus Washington has played every game. He has 5 "stuffs" (tackles for a loss).

-Lemar Marshal has played every game. He has 3 stuffs.

-LaVar Arrington has not played full time for most of the season. He has 6 stuffs.

That says that this guy who fans here claim doesn't make a lot of big plays is making more of them in half the time then any other starting linebacker. It continues to amaze me how people hold Arrington up to an impossible standard and then declare him a bad player.

He doesn't play every down because Clemons is a better pass rusher then LA, for one.

Secondly I like Lavar there is something to be said for guys that have a lot of time in an organization, my problem is our cap is suffering because he's not earning his money. If he did play like L. Taylor or any other great LB it would be a different story, but he doesn't change the course of a game the way great LB's do, thus he is overpaid and not performing up to his contract which hurts the team as a whole.

My take is that since Arrington is on the roster, why not maximize the abilities he possesses rather than allowing them to rot on the bench.

At this point, what are the alternatives? The defense has already established itself as not being as strong or efficient as last year's unit, as a result of a variety of factors. Even during his limited playing time this season, he has displayed a penchant for making a good play or two. Heck, its better than watching Holdman every week not make plays.

Play LaVar this season and cross next year's bridge of deciding what to do with him as we encounter it.

Archived