Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Greg Williams has lost it

DEFENSEGURU

Why is Lamar Marshall covering 2 of the best wide receivers in the NFL in back to back weeks?

Can anybody explain to me why Greg Williams has a middle linebacker covering Joey Galloway and Jerry Porter in back to back weeks? 2 rediculous cover schemes resulting in 2 easy TD's.

I didn't see Brian Urlacher out there covering Santana Moss in the first game of the season?

We need a new defensive coordinator because I think he has lost it.

Come on. Everyone loved Gregg Williams a few weeks ago. The Skins held the Raiders to 16 points and scored 7 points for the Skins. If the offense can put up 10 points against one of the worst defenses in the NFL, the Skins win.

But they couldn't.

And you blame Gregg Williams? The guy is working miracles out there -- he has one player on the DL that deserves to be starting, and he out with an injury.

Why is Lamar Marshall covering 2 of the best wide receivers in the NFL in back to back weeks?

Can anybody explain to me why Greg Williams has a middle linebacker covering Joey Galloway and Jerry Porter in back to back weeks? 2 rediculous cover schemes resulting in 2 easy TD's.

I didn't see Brian Urlacher out there covering Santana Moss in the first game of the season?

We need a new defensive coordinator because I think he has lost it.

I was asking myself that same question, it was not a blown call so dont let anyone tell you it was.

Joe Gibbs was ask this same question on news 4 last night by Sonny and said that other defenses do run that same play. Sonny spoke up and and said I cant wait untill another defense tries to cover Santana with a linebacker which isnt going to happen.

We have shut down the best teams and recievers this year untill we started this new package 3 weeks ago, I think its time to go back to what we were winning with. Our Offense sure could of helped yes, but when your down to only Santana as a starting reciever the raiders had 3 freaking men on him, but what can you do untill someone else steps up. Good Point

Coach Gibbs was asked this on his show on WTEM yesterday. The way he explained it was that Lemar Marshall's responsibility in that defense was to just sprint straight back and the safeties were supposed to have the coverage deep. It was the "Tampa 2". Made famous by Kiffin in Tampa. It's their "Cover 2" defense.

Lemar Marshall, as it turns out, had pretty good underneath coverage on Porter but the safeties vacated the area and Collins made an absolutely perfect pass.

I was like "WTF" also after the play, but it does make sense now. The defensive philosophy was sound, our safeties just bit on an out by Moss and that left Marshall running deep with Porter without the deep help that he was supposed to have.

And you blame Gregg Williams? The guy is working miracles out there -- he has one player on the DL that deserves to be starting, and he out with an injury.

Joe Salave'a deserves to be starting...he is playing like a man possesed in recent weeks. When Griffin returns, they might become the best DT tandem in the league.

It was just a mess up by the players not the coach

I'm not so sure...I think its the scheme, and Tampa found a chink in the armor. Williams probably addressed it, but Oakland was still able to exploit it again. I don't think it will happen again. If it does, then you can start to criticize Williams...but not call for his job.

Joe Salave'a deserves to be starting...he is playing like a man possesed in recent weeks. When Griffin returns, they might become the best DT tandem in the league.

I'm not so sure...I think its the scheme, and Tampa found a chink in the armor. Williams probably addressed it, but Oakland was still able to exploit it again. I don't think it will happen again. If it does, then you can start to criticize Williams...but not call for his job.

I agree, I would never fire a coach when we are still in the playoff race weather people like it or not. We lost all starting recievers and people act like were suppose to score 35 points with back ups there first game.

With out the injuries to our Offense, we could of controlled the clock and scored more then 16 points easy.

Face it, the front office has ignored the DL for years. Gregg Williams has worked miracles to make this defense even competitive with a group of below average players. Our best player, Cornelius Williams, was ditched by a division rival. None of these guys are highly regarded. I'd bet that no more than 5 of our starters on the entire defense would start anywhere else in the East -- maybe the NFL. Arrington, Taylor, Springs, Washington, Griffin... anyone else?

Pathetic.

It's not a case of being bitten by injuries. This roster is thin.

Face it, the front office has ignored the DL for years. Gregg Williams has worked miracles to make this defense even competitive with a group of below average players. Our best player, Cornelius Williams, was ditched by a division rival. None of these guys are highly regarded. I'd bet that no more than 5 of our starters on the entire defense would start anywhere else in the East -- maybe the NFL. Arrington, Taylor, Springs, Washington, Griffin... anyone else?

Pathetic.

Hah! Rogers and Harris could both start on another NFL team...there are so many teams who are pathetic at corner, they would be an upgrade for sure. I'm sure Salave'a, the way he is playing now, would get the starting nod on any number of teams, including the Eagles and Giants. He's not really built for the 3-4, so probably not the Pukes.

Blown coverage I do not believe it was intended for Marshall to cover Porter there was a breakdown somewhere. I think they were in a 2 deep the safety was suppose to come over if i'm not mistaking the coverage but if i'm incorrect I stand to be corrected.

Pathetic.

Ignored the DL? They tried very hard to get Courtney Brown here in the off season...Andyman thought they had him signed.

It's Griffin, not Williams.

The roster is thin...welcome to too many NFL teams and free agency. :doh:

Guest sith lord

Blame the players all you want, and they do share some of the blame, but Williams has done a poor job of adjusting. Blitz, blitz, blitz. That's all he does. And if the blitz isn't getting through, that leaves are corners (or a linebacker) in one on one against a WR. I think his over blitzing has cost us the last 2 games.

Stupid thread,

Some schemes call for linebackers to cover WR's in certain situations. Every defense has as weakness that can be exploited.

Being that the defense scored the ONLY touchdown of the game, it seems pointless to blame them or GW.

Ask our offensive coaches how we can score 35 on one of the best defenses in the league one week, and 13 against the Raiders the following week. The playcalling, at least in the passing game was horrible on 3rd downs.

Portis fumbles near the redzone, the defense only gives up 3. Portis fumbles again putting the defense in another bad situation. Basically the offense despite some success has been phucking up. Giving the ball away, many times deep in our own territory.

Our defense has given us more than enough chances to win games over the last two years since Williams has been here than the offense has.

Blame the players all you want, and they do share some of the blame, but Williams has done a poor job of adjusting. Blitz, blitz, blitz. That's all he does. And if the blitz isn't getting through, that leaves are corners (or a linebacker) in one on one against a WR. I think his over blitzing has cost us the last 2 games.

Please you guys would be ****ing and moaning if he didn't blitz. We had a few other coordinators in here that hardly blitzed and you cried like a bunch of babies because we didn't blitz. Now we get someone in here that knows how to run a defense you cry. The guy can't go out there and make plays for us. Players need to execute period. There is nothing else to even discuss. We haven't had good execution on the defensive side of the ball since week 4. Willams is doing the same thing he did last year and you guys were calling him Jesus Christ all mighty. Give me a break... It's just not working out this year because of lack of execution.

Ignored the DL? They tried very hard to get Courtney Brown here in the off season...Andyman thought they had him signed.

It's Griffin, not Williams. You're right, but give the guy a break didn't you see he's 96 yrs old.

The roster is thin...welcome to too many NFL teams and free agency. :doh:

Guest sith lord
Please you guys would be ****ing and moaning if he didn't blitz. We had a few other coordinators in here that hardly blitzed and you cried like a bunch of babies because we didn't blitz. Now we get someone in here that knows how to run a defense you cry. The guy can't go out there and make plays for us. Players need to execute period. There is nothing else to even discuss. We haven't had good execution on the defensive side of the ball since week 4. Willams is doing the same thing he did last year and you guys were calling him Jesus Christ all mighty. Give me a break... It's just not working out this year because of lack of execution.

How many times do you punch a brick wall before you realize it's not working? I don't have a problem with blitzing, but I do have a problem when it's not working and you refuse to change the gameplan.

... it was that Lemar Marshall's responsibility in that defense was to just sprint straight back and the safeties were supposed to have the coverage deep. It was the "Tampa 2"... It's their "Cover 2" defense... Lemar Marshall, as it turns out, had pretty good underneath coverage on Porter but the safeties vacated the area and Collins made an absolutely perfect pass...our safeties just bit on an out by Moss and that left Marshall running deep with Porter without the deep help that he was supposed to have.

Amazing, but consistent, how a "defense guru" :laugh: was stumped by a basic defensive call so prominent in the NFL for the last few years. And yes, as often as it works, it also gets beat at times. Sort of like any other play calling. :doh:

Truth is, many of the same people who squealed when they saw this match-up on the field and posted "how could a MLB end up ...." stuff will also refuse to take the implied extended lesson that this example is reflective of similar posts where coaching skills are confused with player performance as the prime determinant in the outcomes of many plays.

How many times do you punch a brick wall before you realize it's not working? I don't have a problem with blitzing, but I do have a problem when it's not working and you refuse to change the gameplan.

He doesn't blitz as much as he did last year. But you still have to try. You can't sit there and just run nickel packages and hope you intercept a ball with no pressure on the QB. You have to see what you've worked on in practice is going to work. You can't coach like the Waterboy Coach scared to make a call.

Greg Williams is fine. It's the players that need to execute. We aren't getting that level of execution from this unit as we did last year.

He doesn't blitz as much as he did last year. But you still have to try. You can't sit there and just run nickel packages and hope you intercept a ball with no pressure on the QB. You have to see what you've worked on in practice is going to work. You can't coach like the Waterboy Coach scared to make a call.

Greg Williams is fine. It's the players that need to execute. We aren't getting that level of execution from this unit as we did last year.

I agree. People say that he blitzed all the time. Well he didn't. It's a pick your poison situation. If we don't blitz, we give Collins time to hit the underneath stuff and they nickel and dime down the field. If we do, we force his hand and make him make a nice throw (because we will get to the QB quicker than usual) deep down field. He beat our blitz one time all game.

Archived