4. Austin, TX

5. New York, NY

6. Louisville, KY

7. San Diego, CA

8. San Antonio, TX

9. San Francisco, CA

10. Fort Worth, TX

dallas is dangerous, but forth worth is safe.... OK

LA's number is most likely skewed due to it's immense population. The same most likely applies to NYC.

I wonder where PG county would rank amongst the most dangerous suburban counties in America. With the spike in the murder rate this year, I'd have to think the ranking would be high.

LA's number is most likely skewed due to it's immense population. The same most likely applies to NYC.

I wonder where PG county would rank amongst the most dangerous suburban counties in America. With the spike in the murder rate this year, I'd have to think the ranking would be high.

MD was rated as the 4th most dangerous state.

I have lived in Columbus and Nashville both for several years.

They are both very safe cities. :wtf:

Detroit, however... that is a well deserved spot at #1.

Where's Newark though? I would have to say that the 3 scariest places I've been are Newark, Detroit, and Baltimore... in no particular order.

DC always gets a bad rap when it comes to crime. The city is divided into 8 Wards. Something like 90% of all violent crimes committed in DC happen within 3 Wards,and even then, there is usually some story or some beef between people that caused it - it's not like the average person walks down the street and gets attacked all the time, even in "bad" neighborhoods.

So if you avoid those places (which is pretty easy to do unless you live there) then DC is one of the safest cities around.

Two pieces of advice for a safe trip when visiting our nation's capitol:

1) Don't sell drugs on street corners, especially near other corners where drug activity is taking place.

2) If you look at a street sign and you see the letters SE or NE, head west immediately.

DC always gets a bad rap when it comes to crime. The city is divided into 8 Wards. Something like 90% of all violent crimes committed in DC happen within 3 Wards,and even then, there is usually some story or some beef between people that caused it - it's not like the average person walks down the street and gets attacked all the time, even in "bad" neighborhoods.

So if you avoid those places (which is pretty easy to do unless you live there) then DC is one of the safest cities around.

Two pieces of advice for a safe trip when visiting our nation's capitol:

1) Don't sell drugs on street corners, especially near other corners where drug activity is taking place.

2) If you look at a street sign and you see the letters SE or NE, head west immediately.

I take offense to that last comment. I grew up on Capitol Hill in SE and never had any problems. When I was growing up in the murder capital of the US, I figured eventually I would have a gun pulled on me. I also figured it would be around my neighborhood. 18 years later I left and moved to New York to go to school. I went home to visit about a year ago, I'm 22 at this point. I was in Georgetown(NW) when I had my first gun pulled on me. Not by some hoodrat, but rather by a coked up rich arab assclown. My first gun story....NW. I don't go out in Gtown anymore, not cause I'm scared, cause its a peice of ****. I hang on 8th street in SE now, with real DC people. Peace to the west side.:2cents:

LOL - when I wrote that I wondered if anyone would be offended, but the truth is, less than 5% of the violent crime happens in NW. That's just a fact no matter how you slice it. Of course, Capitol Hill would be one of a few exceptions to the rule (it would be my choice of neighborhoods at this point, except I love being on the front lines in Columbia Heights), but my comment was meant to be simplistic for the average tourist who can't grasp the complicated nuances of DC neighborhoods. But you have to admit; even Capitol Hill could be a scary place up until about 10 years ago.

And the only time, I must confess, that I had a gun pulled on me was also in NW, albeit around midnight on Clifton St. between 14th & 15th. What was I doing in that neighborhood at that time? Let's just say that I used to have, ahem, different habits than I do now.

The difference in the types of crimes is that, in NW, if you get a gun pulled on you, you get robbed. In NE, you get shot. Generally. There are always exceptions.

I kinda liken it to the scen from Swingers when Sue pulls out a gun on those dudes.

They tell him that it isn't like New York where trouble finds you. In LA you have to find trouble.

I feel the same way with DC. If I had wanted to get myself in trouble and possibly get shot or hurt I could've gone around the corner to one of the biggest crack dealing intersections of DC at the time. I could've run with the wrong crowd. But I kept to my friends and good people and we didn't get ourselves into trouble. We didn't associate ourselves with the violence which WAS prevelant in my neighborhood.

I didn't start anything with that guy who pulled the gun on me. He found me, he started with me.

I do understand what you're saying though.

these lists say 2004. here is a 2005 list i found:

Top 25 Most Dangerous Cities 2005

Data compiled by Morgan Quitno

Can you go to sleep with the front door unlocked? Better check this

chart first.

How the Rankings Were Determined

1 Camden, NJ

2 Detroit, MI

3 St. Louis, MO

4 Flint, MI

5 Richmond, VA

6 Baltimore, MD

7 Atlanta, GA

8 New Orleans, LA

9 Gary, IN

10 Birmingham, AL

11 Richmond, CA

12 Cleveland, OH

13 Washington, DC

14 West Palm Beach, FL

15 Compton, CA

16 Memphis, TN

17 Dayton, OH

18 San Bernardino, CA

19 Springfield, MA

20 Cincinnati, OH

21 Oakland, CA

22 Dallas, TX

23 Newark, NJ

24 Hartford, CT

25 Little Rock, AR

The crime rate of New York compared with its population ( 8 million ) is low

for example Baltimore with a population of 500 000 had 246 murders. while New York with a population of 8 000 000 had 504 murders . So New York has a lower murder rate

That is just my point. . . don't you think NY being one of the 5 SAFEST cities goes against everything you've ever hard about the Big Apple?

When I posted the original post, I was talking about how strange it is that NY is safer then San Diego. . . hence things are not always as they appear to be.

these lists say 2004. here is a 2005 list i found:

Top 25 Most Dangerous Cities 2005

Data compiled by Morgan Quitno

Can you go to sleep with the front door unlocked? Better check this

chart first.

How the Rankings Were Determined

1 Camden, NJ

2 Detroit, MI

3 St. Louis, MO

4 Flint, MI

5 Richmond, VA

6 Baltimore, MD

7 Atlanta, GA

8 New Orleans, LA

9 Gary, IN

10 Birmingham, AL

11 Richmond, CA

12 Cleveland, OH

13 Washington, DC

14 West Palm Beach, FL

15 Compton, CA

16 Memphis, TN

17 Dayton, OH

18 San Bernardino, CA

19 Springfield, MA

20 Cincinnati, OH

21 Oakland, CA

22 Dallas, TX

23 Newark, NJ

24 Hartford, CT

25 Little Rock, AR

The difference is because that list includes cities smaller than 500,000.

Yeah, it's not like I started anything with the guy who pulled a gun on me either, but I walked into the Lion's Den at a time when the lions were hungry and edgy. I should have known better, and in fact I did know better, but people do stupid things when they're drunk.

Here's an interesting story - I'll try to make it beief.

Years ago when I was about 14 or so, two friends of mine (same age) were mugged walking back to their houses from Tenlytown to Linnean Ave, which is just two blocks from Connecticut & Nebraska - a traditionally safe, if not very safe neighborhood. They were hanging out at an arcade called Rainbows (now a Chipotle) and left around 10 PM.

About 4 or 5 blocks into their walk they noticed they were being followed by a group of 4 people in their late teens/early 20’s. They were cornered at one point near Reno Road, about a block from Murch Elementary School, and one of the muggers pulled a gun on my friend, put the barrel to his head, and demanded his wallet and jacket, which he gladly relinquished. Long story short, my friends called the police at the next opportunity and all four people were found & arrested within about a minute of the call.

All this happened in one of the safest neighborhoods in the city, where crime of any kind is very rare (with the definite exception of recreational drug use) so of course, it could happen to anyone anywhere.

The area near the waterfront is pretty decent, but then again I don't go there at night, just to the wharf to get seafood.

My mom worked near the waterfront for some 15 years and was mugged at least once a year if not multiple times. With guns, knives and broken glass. These all occured RIGHT outside a US government office(EPA). Way to protect your employees US Gov.

Archived