Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So we need to work on the D-line, what to do?

feeshta

After watching the Skins defense this year struggle to get an effective pass-rush going, I have come to the conclusion that we really do need to improve along the D-line as many have been saying for a long time. I agreed with many of you that D-line was an area of concern prior to last year's draft, but at the time I thought we would be OK with what we had and needed to address other areas more urgently than D-line.

Hindsight can be 20-20, but I think more than anything what we have seen this year is the true impact that the great DT play we had made for us last year. This year Griffin gets injured, Noble goes to IR, and Salavea is not 100% and suddenly our D-line is pretty aweful. If these three were all still healthy I think this defense would be doing a lot better than they are right now, but there is still obviously room for improvement and more quality depth would be a huge plus. We need to make sure the drop off is not so steep if we lose guys again. With Griffen, Noble, and Salavea rotating extensively last year, we were able to make due with very average DE play because those three occupied a lot of attention in the middle. That freed up one on one matchups to the outside which the DE's could beat in run coverage pretty easily and prevented teams from using a guard or center to help pick up an extra man, making our blitzing more effective. This year that is obviously not the case.

So, if we agree that we need to bring in some new blood on the D-line, what type of player should we target?

Personally I don't think a pure pass rusher is the answer for this defense. A Dwight Freeney type can be disruptive for sure, but they are also not good against the run and Williams has designed this defense to stop the run first and foremost. What I think we could really use is a great alround DE. One who might not necessarily be a huge threat to rush the passer but is still effective in that endevour and also assignment sound when it come to the run. Someone better at rushing the passer than Wynn and Daniels to be sure though, but they have to be able to contribute in the running game. I also think a quality DT or two would be a great addition, but again I don't think we need a premier guy here. I think we need another big-body like Noble or Salevea. One who can effectively eat up blocks and be sound against the run, but does not break the bank. Actually prefferably two guys, we need more depth there and I'm not convinced Noble can ever return. I think Denver had a great idea by getting several middle tier guys for the D-line, that way they have enough depth to rotate constantly and keep guys fresh.

So my personal wish list? A DE like Tomba Hali out of Penn State, and two mid level DT's.

Hali is an ideal fit for us in my opinion. First tier, but not top half of the first round pick probably, so we could finagle a pick where he would be available. Hali is an effective pass rusher when you tell him to pin his ears back, but he is also the best DE I have ever seen when it comes to taking care of his responsibilties. He plays the game smart, and always seems to blow up the misdirection plays that are designed to trick a DE into over-pursueing. He also shows great effort and smart angles in pursuit of the ball carrier and has plenty of speed to be an effective force in space. I think he would be an ideal redskin type guy, and a great compliment to Griffin when he is back healthy. Pair him on the same side of the field as Griffin, and you have a mismatch on every snap of the ball. Then you could rotate Wynn and Daniels to keep the old guys fresher. I also think Mathias Kiwanuka is a great player who would be a good fit here, but he will be drafted far too high for us to get into position to get. He shows the same smart play as Hali, and I really think that is crucial in whichever DE we pick up. Kiwi simply has more hype due to his outragious body type and the catchy nickname, but I think Hali would be the better value to the team.

Anyone else know of any DE's I should keep an eye out for in college? I have not heard too much about any guys other thant Kiwi really. Also who is going to be availabe at DT this year? anyone know of any decent guys coming available?

After watching the Skins defense this year struggle to get an effective pass-rush going, I have come to the conclusion that we really do need to improve along the D-line as many have been saying for a long time. I agreed with many of you that D-line was an area of concern prior to last year's draft, but at the time I thought we would be OK with what we had and needed to address other areas more urgently than D-line.

Hindsight can be 20-20, but I think more than anything what we have seen this year is the true impact that the great DT play we had made for us last year. This year Griffin gets injured, Noble goes to IR, and Salavea is not 100% and suddenly our D-line is pretty aweful. If these three were all still healthy I think this defense would be doing a lot better than they are right now, but there is still obviously room for improvement and more quality depth would be a huge plus. We need to make sure the drop off is not so steep if we lose guys again. With Griffen, Noble, and Salavea rotating extensively last year, we were able to make due with very average DE play because those three occupied a lot of attention in the middle. That freed up one on one matchups to the outside which the DE's could beat in run coverage pretty easily and prevented teams from using a guard or center to help pick up an extra man, making our blitzing more effective. This year that is obviously not the case.

So, if we agree that we need to bring in some new blood on the D-line, what type of player should we target?

Personally I don't think a pure pass rusher is the answer for this defense. A Dwight Freeney type can be disruptive for sure, but they are also not good against the run and Williams has designed this defense to stop the run first and foremost. What I think we could really use is a great alround DE. One who might not necessarily be a huge threat to rush the passer but is still effective in that endevour and also assignment sound when it come to the run. Someone better at rushing the passer than Wynn and Daniels to be sure though, but they have to be able to contribute in the running game. I also think a quality DT or two would be a great addition, but again I don't think we need a premier guy here. I think we need another big-body like Noble or Salevea. One who can effectively eat up blocks and be sound against the run, but does not break the bank. Actually prefferably two guys, we need more depth there and I'm not convinced Noble can ever return. I think Denver had a great idea by getting several middle tier guys for the D-line, that way they have enough depth to rotate constantly and keep guys fresh.

So my personal wish list? A DE like Tomba Hali out of Penn State, and two mid level DT's.

Hali is an ideal fit for us in my opinion. First tier, but not top half of the first round pick probably, so we could finagle a pick where he would be available. Hali is an effective pass rusher when you tell him to pin his ears back, but he is also the best DE I have ever seen when it comes to taking care of his responsibilties. He plays the game smart, and always seems to blow up the misdirection plays that are designed to trick a DE into over-pursueing. He also shows great effort and smart angles in pursuit of the ball carrier and has plenty of speed to be an effective force in space. I think he would be an ideal redskin type guy, and a great compliment to Griffin when he is back healthy. Pair him on the same side of the field as Griffin, and you have a mismatch on every snap of the ball. Then you could rotate Wynn and Daniels to keep the old guys fresher. I also think Mathias Kiwanuka is a great player who would be a good fit here, but he will be drafted far too high for us to get into position to get. He shows the same smart play as Hali, and I really think that is crucial in whichever DE we pick up. Kiwi simply has more hype due to his outragious body type and the catchy nickname, but I think Hali would be the better value to the team.

Anyone else know of any DE's I should keep an eye out for in college? I have not heard too much about any guys other thant Kiwi really. Also who is going to be availabe at DT this year? anyone know of any decent guys coming available?

In order to make it through this year we should put Arrington at DE on passing situations.

I am much more concerned with our O-line than our D-line at this point. Our pass rush has been weak, but atleast we're stopping the run and forcing teams to be 1-dimensional. Now we need guys like Harris to finally step up and play how they should be.

I'll give you credit for the idea(s) though. Very well thought out it seems.

1 - Get rid of Greg Blache.

2 - Add one DE via free agency (doesn't have to be great, just better)

3 - Draft/FA pick up enough capable cheap players to allow you to cycle DL players and keep them fresh

This will not make us the Bears in a year, but a modest upgrade in talent, combined with enough depth to allow a cycling of players during a game ....will improve the DL's ability to burst on passing downs.

Archived