Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is the coaching staff too old?

macnoke03

I respect Gibbs for what he was able to do in the early 90's with the Skins but we are 15 years later now and our offense looks ancient, as does our coaching staff. Gibbs, Bugel, Breaux are all really old compared to the rest of the league. Opposing defenses have absolutely no problem figuring out our defense. Do we need an overhaul of the coaching staff? Before all you Gibbs worshipers get all worked up, this is just a thought for discussion.

I don't believe this is the problem at all. You saw how the team has caught up with the rest of the league earlier this year. Right now we're seeing the results of the following working against us....

1. Teams are adjusting to us, both offense & defense. They have 2 years worth of tape and are figuring out schemes to employ on both sides of the ball that are frustrating us.

2. Injuries. We're not as banged up as other teams, but the injuries we do have are affecting us more (see #3)

3. Lack of depth. We simply do not have quality depth at many of our skill positions. If our starters go down, we're in deep doo-doo. Look at us without Griffen and Taylor last week, and Griffen this week.

All of the above contributes to why our offense often seems to be vanilla, and why our defense often seems to disappear in games. Then there are the turnovers. Some are direct results of the above reasons, while others seem to be lack of focus.

I have no idea if this is something the team will correct this year. Maybe we still need another off season before a team that can be truly competitive will be in place. Maybe things are already in place, but the team just needs a spark.

Our team has a lot of problems, but it is NOT due to the age of the coaching staff....

Plain and simple...we do not have enough talent in key positions. If we had some monsters on the d-line I say we would have won a few of those close games. We have only one effective WR and Cooley. Teams shut down Moss and what is left are the dump offs and underneath stuff and you aint gonna win with that.

Dan

I respect Gibbs for what he was able to do in the early 90's with the Skins but we are 15 years later now and our offense looks ancient, as does our coaching staff. Gibbs, Bugel, Breaux are all really old compared to the rest of the league. Opposing defenses have absolutely no problem figuring out our defense. Do we need an overhaul of the coaching staff? Before all you Gibbs worshipers get all worked up, this is just a thought for discussion.

Gibbs can still coach. He's only been back coaching for two seasons now. Don Breaux, Joe Bugel are not the problem. I think we have the wrong players playing for us on offense. Jansen and Samuels are grave dissapointments. If the two of them played for Gibbs back in the days, I doubt if they would be starting. At times Riggs and Rogers did fumble but I'm starting to think that Portis is not the right type of running back. On offense the problem is the O line. Our receivers, TEs, and RBs and QB situation is fine.

And on defense the problem there is we blitz entirely too much.

I don't think Gibbs is too old. This is the age of the grandpa in sports. Vermeil, Torre, Trader Jack, Larry Brown...they all win titles.

What worries me a little is Gibbs' willingness to adapt. It took him a year to accept that the shotgun is a good thing. But I still hate the way we use Clinton Portis. It's like he's been insistent on winning the way he won in the 80s rather than looking at the talent he has and adapting to it.

But there's hope. It took Joe Paterno five years of losing to change his offensive approach, but he finally did. And it worked.

There are definitely things that Gibbs and his staff could be doing better, I think he's doing a good job. He's still making noticeable changes with the offense every week and I think its improving despite our lack of success recently.

This is a player's game and our success boils down to our ability to get players who can:

1) Get some kind of pressure on the QB without having to send a corner and 2 linebackers, giving up some of our coverage

2) We need a reciever who can step up with Moss being covered so heavily, earlier in the season we were successful because teams didn't know what Moss was capable of, we caught them off-guard and that hasn't happened since for the most part.

3) Players stop turning the ball over, when the season is over and we look back --- how we are 5 - 5 at this point with such a ridiculous negative turnover ratio is pretty amazing.

If you mean by age, no. If you mean by their style of play, yes.

That's ridiculous. They need to stop turning the ball over. Yes, it's that simple. You all can blather on like a bunch of whiny know-it-alls until you're blue in the face. They just can't keep losing the turnover battle and expect to win. :rolleyes:

Not to bust your chops macnoke03, but we read all these same threads last year. Truth is, this team was as hot as any to start the season. They've beaten many of the NFC division leaders. If Gibbs & Co. are too old, what does that say for Mike Holmgren, Lovey Smith, Andy Reid etc?

Archived