Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moss Question...

I understand that Moss was kept in check mostly because the Raiders were rolling coverage to him all game.

However, can someone explain why this strategy can effectively take him out of the game entirely. It seems logical that it would limit the downfield attack, but I'm not sure why we couldn't run him over the middle or get in on some comebacks so that he could run after the catch...that's been one of his strengths all year.

Any thoughts?

GREAT POINT! Steve Smith for the Panthers gets the same coverage and he gets 14 catches against the Bears (the best defense in the league). It's all about the coaches and the QB. Our coaches need to stop sniffin crack from 89 and get their a$$ in hear. I was ridiculed earlier this year for being too hard on Gibbs. Well, I would say the same thing I said before, he needs to open his d%mn eyes and take off the glassess. Wake up old man, times are changing. The play-calling in the second half was terrible. We need 2 yards on 3rd down and we call a play that hasn't worked all day to a reciever that hasn't been playing all year. It's not a personnel issue this week. ITS THE COACHES. THEY WERE OUT-COACHED AND COULDN"T FIGURE IT OUT!

Guest sith lord
GREAT POINT! Steve Smith for the Panthers gets the same coverage and he gets 14 catches against the Bears (the best defense in the league). It's all about the coaches and the QB. Our coaches need to stop sniffin crack from 89 and get their a$$ in hear. I was ridiculed earlier this year for being too hard on Gibbs. Well, I would say the same thing I said before, he needs to open his d%mn eyes and take off the glassess. Wake up old man, times are changing. The play-calling in the second half was terrible. We need 2 yards on 3rd down and we call a play that hasn't worked all day to a reciever that hasn't been playing all year. It's not a personnel issue this week. ITS THE COACHES. THEY WERE OUT-COACHED AND COULDN"T FIGURE IT OUT!

I agree 100%.

Unfortunately, I have to agree as well. Offense looks totally different than even last week against the Bucs. Gibbs has to loosen up. Run, run, pass -wow, that's creative.

I understand that Moss was kept in check mostly because the Raiders were rolling coverage to him all game.

However, can someone explain why this strategy can effectively take him out of the game entirely. It seems logical that it would limit the downfield attack, but I'm not sure why we couldn't run him over the middle or get in on some comebacks so that he could run after the catch...that's been one of his strengths all year.

Any thoughts?

I agree, It seemed like Gibbs was calling plays to make a spark on offense, instead of sustaining drives.

if any of those deep plays work, nobody questions his play calling though...

I'm not necessarily questioning it...just wondering if rolling the safety can be negated by using Moss on shorter patterns. It's more of a football question than a second-guessing of the coach.

To me, if Moss is your most electric WR, then maybe you do what you can to get the ball in his hands instead of just saying "Darn, our fly pattern is double-covered, where's that Jacobs kid?"

I agree with everyone. You have to make adjustments as the game goes on. If Santana is double covered then run different routes. Take what the defense gives you instead of forcing balls downfield. On the other hand, Randy Moss was shadowed by Sean Taylor and Jerry Porter stepped up his game to have a monster day. Taylor Jacobs didn't do much too help Santana on the otherside. I think one of the biggest problems with the coaching staff has been their inability to make adjustments on the fly. It seems like when they have a game plan they stick to it and try to force it rather than just saying ok this doesn't work let's try something else. And I'm not just talking about half time adjustments, I'm talking about making adjustments right on the playing field.

Archived