Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My take of the game after being in FedEx for the first time this year.

TheGreek1973

Went to the game yesterday, had the best possible seats suite 104 at about the 45 yard line and I expected at the very least for the skins to come out fired up after the emotional close lose (with may refs mistakes) last week. And low and behold, first procession Lemar gets the INT and we are off and running right? NOPE.

I love Gibbs don’t get me wrong but the way he called this game on offense yesterday simply sucked. The game went IMO down hill after the INT/TD of Marshall. After another great Defensive stop we get the ball at great field position and make a couple of first downs and we come to the first major decision of the game. A 4 down and less than one.

WTF is Joe thinking about punting the ball when we are on the Raiders 45 and have only ½ a yard to go? Joe you are leading, the fans are smelling blood, the team is high after this great start, supposedly the Raiders can’t stop anyone running on them and you let the clock expire and punt? That for me was the game right there. If you want to be a championship winning team, if you want to make the playoffs you go for that 1st Joe. You don’t punt with a 7 point lead, in your house with the fans going nuts for you to go a BS ½ a yard. You get that ½ a yard, you score another TD and the game is over.

I am not even going to get into the play selection of throwing 3 or 4 bombs to Jocobs when in all cases he was actually behind the defender, let along beat him to the ball. I will not even go into the atrocious game our trillion dollar RB had with two very very costly fumbles, I will not even mention the fact that we released ABrown because he had one fumble but number 14 dropped the ball 4 times in kickoffs and certainly why mention the fact that for the life of me I still don’t know why we got rid of our punter to bring Frost who after watching him in pregame warm ups for the 15 kicks he did maybe two traveled more than 40 yards.

And I will not even criticize our superstar coach Gregg Williams and his brilliant coaching staff of taking out Lavar on 3rd downs when he and Taylor seems to me to be men among boys out there. Lavar rushed the QB 3 times and damm if we didn’t come close to getting the sack all 3 but hey why keep him in there on 3rd and long, we are getting a fine pass rush right? :doh:

Its not we don’t have a good OL or a good D or whatever people. Its calls like not going for ½ a yard in the opponents end in you house with a lead and the call on 3 and 2 last week that Gibbs is making that gives the statement to this team we are just not good enough to win the game. And I am sick and tired of it. This team might not be good to make the playoffs but I will bet you anything they are good enough to beat the Raiders if the coaches get their heads out of their asses and let them play aggressive football instead of these little dunk and dink passes and long bombs to a player that obviously was not on the same page as your QB. Sorry for ranting but I swear if I didn’t know better I thought yesterday I was watching Marty ball at its best. Oh yea he is coming to town next week, hopefully we will not see our team mirror his.

WTF is Joe thinking about punting the ball when we are on the Raiders 45 and have only ½ a yard to go? Joe you are leading, the fans are smelling blood, the team is high after this great start, supposedly the Raiders can’t stop anyone running on them and you let the clock expire and punt? That for me was the game right there.

My thoughts to a tee. Joe Gibbs needs to depend on his men to win the battle of 4th and inches in enemy territory early on in the game rather than set his troops up for failure by asking of them to get 2 yards on 4th down with 16 seconds left at mid-field.

He need only look within the division at Dallas to see that despite Parcell's penchant for keeping games close and going for the win in the 4th quarter, even he recognizes that going for the kill early on is sometimes the wiser choice.

If he hasn't already, I fear Gibbs is about to lose this team.

I still ask myself the question...how in the world did we have 3 WR's with over a 1,000 yards receiving the way he calls the game.

I love Joe Gibbs, but some decisions and play calling have me scratching my head at times.

I know that our guys were pretty much covered but you have to be able to call plays for others on your team. They can't cover everybody.

WTF is Joe thinking about punting the ball when we are on the Raiders 45 and have only ½ a yard to go? Joe you are leading, the fans are smelling blood, the team is high after this great start, supposedly the Raiders can’t stop anyone running on them and you let the clock expire and punt? That for me was the game right there. If you want to be a championship winning team, if you want to make the playoffs you go for that 1st Joe. You don’t punt with a 7 point lead, in your house with the fans going nuts for you to go a BS ½ a yard. You get that ½ a yard, you score another TD and the game is over.

It is early in the game and we are up by 7. Why would you take a unnecessary risk that early in the game and possibly give them the ball at midfield? Gibbs did the absolute right thing in that situation. My complaint about that series is Clinton Portis is supposed to be this great back and can not get 2 yards! Good RB's in that situation will get the first down 90% of the time. Don't blame Gibbs, blame the guy who calls himself the best back in the league who can't get 2 yards and fumbled twice. Clinton cost us this game.

It is early in the game and we are up by 7. Why would you take a unnecessary risk that early in the game and possibly give them the ball at midfield? Gibbs did the absolute right thing in that situation. My complaint about that series is Clinton Portis is supposed to be this great back and can not get 2 yards! Good RB's in that situation will get the first down 90% of the time. Don't blame Gibbs, blame the guy who calls himself the best back in the league who can't get 2 yards and fumbled twice. Clinton cost us this game.

Are you kidding me? You have half a yard dude, hell the spot was terrible it should probably have been a first and in fact one ref said it was a first. You have 1/2 a friggin yard and if you punt maybe you get a 20 yard net return and you are telling me you are risking the game? When your D being in the field twice stopped them 3 and out the second time while scorring a TD on the 1st? And you are saying its risky? IMO if you can't get that 1/2 a yard, in your house, with you leading you don't belong in the playoffs. Well the skins and our coach prove that theory didn't they.

Greek is absolutely right......I thought we may have been barely short and the stupid PA guy said "First down", and the next thing you know we're punting!! Why didn't we at least ask for a measurement to see how close it was? Did Joe address this in his post-gamer? I think we were actually just inside the 40 when this happened.

Om, some Gibbsian moment, eh?

Greek is absolutely right......I thought we may have been barely short and the stupid PA guy said "First down", and the next thing you know we're punting!! Why didn't we at least ask for a measurement to see how close it was? Did Joe address this in his post-gamer? I think we were actually just inside the 40 when this happened.

No question about it one of the refs gave the first down signal, then here comes the line judge and gives us this very "funcky" spot but still it was close enough for a measurement and Joe should have demanded one if not outright thrown the red flag to check the spot.

But forget all this crap. Why didn't we go for it when a QB sneak would have done it, or God forbid we have the balls and go play action. Even if we didn't make it you D just stopped them cold in a 3 and out and scored a TD. You are making the statement to your players and the opposing team we are balls out all the way in this one. Playing not to lose has net us 4 loses this season.

Guest sith lord
Are you kidding me? You have half a yard dude, hell the spot was terrible it should probably have been a first and in fact one ref said it was a first. You have 1/2 a friggin yard and if you punt maybe you get a 20 yard net return and you are telling me you are risking the game? When your D being in the field twice stopped them 3 and out the second time while scorring a TD on the 1st? And you are saying its risky? IMO if you can't get that 1/2 a yard, in your house, with you leading you don't belong in the playoffs. Well the skins and our coach prove that theory didn't they.

I still don't know why Gibbs didn't challenge that spot.

Exactly right guys. There are weeks when I really believe that Gibbs is back in business and then there are weeks like this sunday and the sunday against NY where he looks absolutely clueless. It just doesn't make sense to me. We absolutely should have gone for the first there--should have rammed it right down their throats. But, this coaching staff is way too slow to change their ways. It took them an entire season to realize the shotgun would be benificial. Halftime adjustments? They used to be the hallmark of a Gibbs team. Now I'm just looking for adjustments in the season!!! The Raiders are a poorly coached, non-contender team who had just traveled the length of the country, and our defense put up 7 points on them, AND WE STILL COULDN'T WIN---PLAYOFF????? PLAYOFFS??? ARE YOU SERIOUS?

His play calling is too damn predictable. I can call 2/3 of the plays and have been saying that all year.

Gibbs doesn't really call the plays anymore, Jack Burns and Don Breaux call it, then send the play down to Gibbs to relay to Brunell, the play goes through him so he will have last call on play selection, but you're right, the play calling sucked, the worst I've seen all year, horrible. :helmet:

His play calling is too damn predictable. I can call 2/3 of the plays and have been saying that all year.

NEWSFLASH TO ALL OF YOU CRITICIZING JOE GIBBS....

He does not call the plays...the plays are called up in the booth by the offensive coord. Don Breaux and offensive asst Jack Burns.....

both of who should be put out to pasture after that performance yesterday

Guest sith lord
NEWSFLASH TO ALL OF YOU CRITICIZING JOE GIBBS....

He does not call the plays...the plays are called up in the booth by the offensive coord. Don Breaux and offensive asst Jack Burns.....

both of who should be put out to pasture after that performance yesterday

When they decided to punt on 4th and a half a yard, I'm sure that was all Gibbs.

All I got to say if they call a play and Gibbs approves it then he is responsible for his success or failure. No one made him punt on 4th and inches and no one told him with 2nd and 4 to run the ball twice and still fall short 2 yards (in the tampa game). The bottom line is Gibbs needs to send a message to this team that we will attack attack ATTACK and not play it close. Just take a look what happend against SF. Yea the same team that beat TB and almost beat Seattle yesterday. Why? Because we went balls out from the get go. We had the same chance yesterday at 4th and inches to put our statement in the game but we played it "safe" because the Raiders as such a great team we should have been scared of.

No question about it one of the refs gave the first down signal, then here comes the line judge and gives us this very "funcky" spot but still it was close enough for a measurement and Joe should have demanded one if not outright thrown the red flag to check the spot.

But forget all this crap. Why didn't we go for it when a QB sneak would have done it, or God forbid we have the balls and go play action. Even if we didn't make it you D just stopped them cold in a 3 and out and scored a TD. You are making the statement to your players and the opposing team we are balls out all the way in this one. Playing not to lose has net us 4 loses this season.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but you do realize that they have one of the biggest D-lines in the league, don't you? I certainly wouldn't have gone QB sneak, or Portis up the middle! That is why Portis had to run outside almost every time. Those guys were pushing our O-line around like weebles!

I felt the gameplan was very conservative. Seemed like offensively everything was slow developing. I would like to see a better mix in the running game. Looked to me like we really got away from the zone blocking and did a lot of pulling.

In the passing game we did a lot of heavy protection plays with longer drops by the Brunell, again, slow developing stuff. I would like to see better balance, not only between run and pass. But also up tempo stuff like the quick hitting zone blocking run plays and the quick short drop passing games.

Seroiusly, and were just fans. If any NFL coach is worth a damn, they should be able too as well. Last week I thought Gruden was the dumbest coach of all time for not seeing that boot on 4th and 2. I, along with everyone in my section saw that thing coming from Tahiti.

Gibbs' playcalling is geared towards "playing not to lose". It's a cliche, but it's true. You lose the majority of the time with that mentality.

We didn't need to play like that. That is the bottom line. We needed to go down field and test those Raiders corners since they were missing their best corner, and I don't mean bombs to Jacobs. I mean over the middle routes because let me tell you the middle was open A LOT.

Not to mention the fact that the Raiders committed 10 penalties for over 100 yards and still beat us. That is horrible. They handed us 100 yards and we simply did nothing.

In Gibbs & the Staffs defense however, some receivers were not getting open (cough, Jacobs) and someone was not making the throws that he could have (cough, Brunell). His second half was full of bad passes. Almost makes me wonder if he hurt himself after hitting the grass. I mean the field grass :laugh:

Are u kidding, all Gibbs ever says is "we fought our guts out there", "it was a hard fought game", "its a big deal", "im proud of our guys", "we gotta take a look at ourselves", "we are all in this thing together". He has never once said anything of any consequence about the performance of his team. I'm tired of his idiotic cookie cutter responses.

Archived