Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The AFC owning us has killed the Redskins the last 2 years

MontanaSkins

We are 0-7 the last two years against the AFC. So if we finished will a .500 record(not to much to ask if you ask me)they would have finished 8-8 and in the thick of the playoff hunt last year, and after the Charger game a .500 record against the AFC would put us at 7-4 and in good shape. I know division games are important, but with these AFC games making up a quarter of our schedule we need to start winning some of these games.

But I still think we can make a run, but need to start getting things changed around. We finished strong the last two years, and need to do it again while we are still in it.

:dallasuck

• 2 weeks later...
We are 0-7 the last two years against the AFC. So if we finished will a .500 record(not to much to ask if you ask me)they would have finished 8-8 and in the thick of the playoff hunt last year, and after the Charger game a .500 record against the AFC would put us at 7-4 and in good shape. I know division games are important, but with these AFC games making up a quarter of our schedule we need to start winning some of these games.

But I still think we can make a run, but need to start getting things changed around. We finished strong the last two years, and need to do it again while we are still in it.

:dallasuck

I think if ya looked at most nfc teams, thier record against the afc wouldn't be much better. The AFC is just overall better than the NFC. But ya right, we do need to start winning these games.

Actually, as far as the tie breakers go, it's the exact opposite. Because all of our wins are against NFC teams, we'd have the edge there. Interconference wins have almost no impact on the tie breakers.

The primary tie-breaker effect of beating AFC teams is that it gives you more wins so you don't have to go to a tie-breaker, in the first place. ;)

As long as you win your division, and conference games, these games aren't a big deal.

A 12-4 record, with all four losses to the AFC, would almost always win you your division. At the very least, make the playoffs. But if all four losses were to division rivals, there's a much greater chance you would NOT win the division. And in a freakish year with a lot of 12-4 or better teams, there's a much greater chance of getting bumped out of playoff contention.

So if hypothetically speaking, lets say you were to make a deal with the devil, wherein you were guaranteed a 12-4 record every year for the next ten years. The devil gives you the choice of your 4 losses every year to be to...

1. Division Rivals

2. Inner-Conference Rivals

3. Opposing-Conference Rivals

Which would you choose?

That's all I'm saying.

As long as you win your division, and conference games, these games aren't a big deal.

A 12-4 record, with all four losses to the AFC, would almost always win you your division. At the very least, make the playoffs. But if all four losses were to division rivals, there's a much greater chance you would NOT win the division. And in a freakish year with a lot of 12-4 or better teams, there's a much greater chance of getting bumped out of playoff contention.

So if hypothetically speaking, lets say you were to make a deal with the devil, wherein you were guaranteed a 12-4 record every year for the next ten years. The devil gives you the choice of your 4 losses every year to be to...

1. Division Rivals

2. Inner-Conference Rivals

3. Opposing-Conference Rivals

Which would you choose?

That's all I'm saying.

Obviously in your scenario, AFC losses aren't all that important. Even this year, if we were to run the table and get to 10-6, we'd be in great shape since we'd be 5-1 in the division and 10-2 in the NFC.

However, when you go 0-4 vs. the AFC and you finish 7-9 or 8-8, those games mean a whole lot more. A split instead of going winless puts you right in the playoff race instead of just missing that goal. I think that's what the initial poster is pointing out.

The funny thing is, we've spent several years discussing how the Redskins won't be a serious contender until they can take care of business within the NFC East. This year, we're already 2-1 (which is more wins than we've had in any of the previous 3 years I believe) and could realistically get to 3 or 4 division wins and still miss the playoffs. Pretty ironic if you ask me...

Archived