Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lavar on 3rd Downs

diesel22

Can someone please explain to me why Lavar (I believe our best pass rusher and a very athletic cover LB) is consistently on the side line during a third and anything over 5? This makes no sense to me whatsoever. That is the down and distance where the man has thrived - made countless big playes - and went to pro bowls.

Bram Weinstein on WTEM said tonight that he heard Greg Blache say in an interview that, to paraphrase "there are alot of guys who are better pass rushers on this team than LaVar Arrington".

My response to Greg Blache is, "Oh yeah genius jr? How many of them have had double digit sack seasons like LaVar?"

Sometimes I get the feeling that Greg Blache and Gregg Williams resent LaVar Arrington being on this team or at least resent him being a fan favorite. This may be irrational, but how else can you explain that comment by Blache?

I will perhaps cut him some slack, his boy, "the folding chair", has been supplanted as a starter so he might be a little bitter.

Lavar can't be trusted to play on third downs. Guys like Chris Clemons (who didn't play entirely bad today) and Pierson Prioleau can be trusted.

Or at least thats how it appears, observing GW's defensive strategy. Its completely absurd, but oh well.

Another thing thats completely absurd is having our MLB cover their #2 WR one on one down the middle of the field. WTF was GW thinking? Some of these defenses are just plain garbage.

Bram Weinstein on WTEM said tonight that he heard Greg Blache say in an interview that, to paraphrase "there are alot of guys who are better pass rushers on this team than LaVar Arrington".

My response to Greg Blache is, "Oh yeah genius jr? How many of them have had double digit sack seasons like LaVar?"

Sometimes I get the feeling that Greg Blache and Gregg Williams resent LaVar Arrington being on this team or at least resent him being a fan favorite. This may be irrational, but how else can you explain that comment by Blache?

I will perhaps cut him some slack, his boy, "the folding chair", has been supplanted as a starter so he might be a little bitter.

Wow - I must admit I am curious as to who on this team is considered better at rushing the QB than Lavar. The only person who comes close in my mind is Marcus Washington - but I'll take Lavar bc even though their speed and athleticism is similar, Lavar also has the size and strength to bull-rush a tackle one he gets him off balance

Lavar can't be trusted to play on third downs. Guys like Chris Clemons (who didn't play entirely bad today) and Pierson Prioleau can be trusted.

Or at least thats how it appears, observing GW's defensive strategy. Its completely absurd, but oh well.

Another thing thats completely absurd is having our MLB cover their #2 WR one on one down the middle of the field. WTF was GW thinking? Some of these defenses are just plain garbage.

At first glance you seem absolutely right about the coverage scheme. It would make sense that 100% of the time that is a huge mismatch. But I gotta tell ya - if you look at it, he just recognized it late and got a bad jump. Once he started running he actually made up ground between he and Jerry. Apparently Porter is not much of a burner - once he got to the end zone he was covered pretty well and if that ball was underthrown (even a little) it was incomplete

Before Lavar got considerable playing time, you know, when he was rotting on the bench...wasn't the 3rd-and-long his package? Wasn't that when GW would put him in? And now once he gets PT, it's the reverse, and he gets taken out for those? Or am I mixing stuff up? Sorry I honestly can't remember for sure.

At what point do we just admit that our defense is not as good as advertised. I mean we can play wellin stretches. But in the 4th Q, when we need them most, we are gauranteed of them letting down. And yeah i am aware of INT in Philly game at the end, but they were driving on us and we were very fortunate. Why is it that teams have trouble moving the ball against us until the 4th Quater.

Can someone please explain to me why Lavar (I believe our best pass rusher and a very athletic cover LB) is consistently on the side line during a third and anything over 5? This makes no sense to me whatsoever. That is the down and distance where the man has thrived - made countless big playes - and went to pro bowls.

I mentioned this last week. Are you all reading my threads.

But I'll say it again. Lavar makes a great run stuffing play, then goes to the sideline smiling and Greg Williams and he celebrate together like the game is over, then they watch a 3rd and 8 pass completed for 12 yards. It happens over and over and over again.

Greg Williams has an ego problem and is not all that smart to begin with. He learned a bunch of blitz packages from Buddy Ryan and he thinks that "packages" make a defense...when its PLAYERS that make a defense.

But I'll say it again. Lavar makes a great run stuffing play, then goes to the sideline smiling and Greg Williams and he celebrate together like the game is over, then they watch a 3rd and 8 pass completed for 12 yards. It happens over and over and over again.

Greg Williams has an ego problem and is not all that smart to begin with. He learned a bunch of blitz packages from Buddy Ryan and he thinks that "packages" make a defense...when its PLAYERS that make a defense.

:applause: 100% agree with you. Let the truth be told.

Archived