Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

It's time to look at the future of this team.

bbuzz1962

I don't want to hear any cry babies slamming me for stating the obvious, I could care less if you do. The truth is, Brunell is no longer an NFL starting quarterback. He would make a tremendous backup. I think Campbell should get the nod, and playout the season. This season is over, no need to think otherwise.

This team was defeated by an 3-6 team, who has not looked good all year. There was no offense at all today. 2 field goals is a joke. Our defensive line needs overhauling badly. No pressure equals losses in the NFL. There was absolutely no pass rush at all today agains.

The secondary also needs work, but not as much as the line. To let both of our best cornerbacks go was a huge mistake. Imagine this team with Bailey and Smoot on it. I am not impressed with Clinton Portis at all. I feel any decent back will get good yardage in a Gibbs offense. He fumbled twice today without reason other than stupidity. He has not come through in key third down situations, especially at the end of the game when it is needed most.

I would look to see who wants to play for this team, and who should go. To think that Samuels and Jansen would both have sub par years is typical bad luck for this team. They have both been disappointing, allowing pressure on Brunell in every game.

I can only hope that Gibbs stays a couple more years to achieve the goal of getting into the playoffs, it will not be with this team in its present state of chaos. He too, needs to get into the 21st century mentality as well. He has been to conservative, worrying about losing the game instead of playing to win. The punt on 4th and inches is exactly an example of having no confidence in your offense.

I think we finish 8-8 if we are lucky. No playoffs, again. Sorry everyone, but I call it as I see it. We are no better than average, maybe at best. Slam me if you will, but it is probably because you think I am on target.

NOOOOOOOOO we should stick with Brunell so we can finish 8-8 instead of 6-10. We don't need to start preparing for the future, that would be insane, Brunell is only 36 for god sakes.

We should let Brunell QB this below average team to 8-8 seasons until he retires then turn the QB position over to Ramsey or Campbell after they haven't played a snap for 2 years.

Screw you and your logical thinking.

Hey dcoles, screw yourself. I told you jerks who want to insult me for stating the obvious, I could give a damn. Go cry to your mama, you low life. It figures a 24 year old punk would have something smart to say.

His post was sarcasm, he agrees with your post...

:laugh: :laugh:

NOOOOOOOOO we should stick with Brunell so we can finish 8-8 instead of 6-10. We don't need to start preparing for the future, that would be insane, Brunell is only 36 for god sakes.

We should let Brunell QB this below average team to 8-8 seasons until he retires then turn the QB position over to Ramsey or Campbell after they haven't played a snap for 2 years.

You can't give up your season when you are 5-5. Even if it seems unlikely that you make the playoffs, you can't send a message to your team that you don't beleive in them. A few games of experience isn't worth losing your team.

There are a few areas of this team that need to be addressed DESPERATELY.

Wide receivers other than Santana Moss: Moss has been great, but since he is the only threat we have at wideout teams can double and triple him and take him out of the game. James Thrash is a solid guy, but he is needed on special teams and can only do so much. Patten and Jacobs have both been very dissapointing. I say we stay with Jacobs for the rest of this season, but in the offseason we will need to draft or sign at least one, and possibly two, wide receivers.

Offensive line depth: Our o-line has been dissapointing, but because of cap considerations we can't really change the starters. As bad as Chris Samuels has been, we can't cut him, it would be too big a cap hit. However, we need to offer alternatives at tackle that aren't Ray Brown and 43 years old. We have goot depth at Center and guard with Raymer and Friedman and the rookies we drafted. We need tackle depth and possibly tackle alternatives, because Samuels has really stunk up the joint.

Defensive End, both sides: Renaldo Wynn and Phillip Daniels simply aren't getting it done. They haven't challenged any of the tackles they have faced. In run coverage they are decent, but we need ends that can pressure the quarterback. Because of cap considerations it will be very hard to address this position, since quality DEs are generally very expensive. I like Aaron Kampman personally. This is our biggest need.

Cornerback: This is less a performance issue and more an age issue. Walt Harris will be 32 next year and Shawn Springs will be 31. For cornerbacks, that is old. Carlos Rogers hasn't shown me a damn thing to indicate he will be an adequate replacement, and neither has Ade Jimoh. We'll likely be stuck starting the same guys next year, but we need to at least attempt to improve here.

-----------------------------

These positions are dragging down what I think is a good team otherwise. This is what they need to address in the offseason. Whether they can, though, because of cap considerations and lack of draft picks, is up in the air.

Hey dcoles, screw yourself. I told you jerks who want to insult me for stating the obvious, I could give a damn. Go cry to your mama, you low life. It figures a 24 year old punk would have something smart to say.

5. Please be respectful of your fellow members.

Every registered member agrees, upon registration, not use these forums to post material or topics which are knowingly false, defamatory, deceptive, inaccurate, racist, insulting, abusive, inflammatory, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually graphic, physically threatening, invasive of another's privacy or otherwise in violation of any law, including stalking or otherwise harassing individual members.

Personal attacks or threats will not be tolerated. Go after the idea, not the poster. Free debate within the parameters outlined herein is welcome on these forums, and diversity of opinion lies at the heart of a good debate. Toward that end, every member is free to have their own opinion so long as it is expressed in a civil manner, is within the subject matter topic of the forum and does not otherwise violate forum rules.

Enjoy your time off guys.

Your point about the d-line is completely accurate. We simply dont produce any pass rush with our front four. Imagine the defense we would have if we could put more people in coverage and not have to worry about blitzing linebackers, safeties, and corners to muster a pass rush. If we can improve our front four then I think our defense gives up far less big plays and steps it up a huge notch.

The offensive line is a disaster. Derek Dockery has played poorly, Casey Rabach has NOT lived up to his contract, and I am most disapointed in Chris Samuels. He has looked fairly awful this season and Jon Jansen did not play like his old self. We have a few holes to fill this offseason and I hope we are able to fill some of them.

First on the Quarterback thing, why does everyone hype Campbell? He was not very impressive against the 3rd stringers in preseason. Plus He was not the super quarterback at Auburn that everyone seems to act like he is. He was efficient in that system, but with ronnie brown and cadillac williams in the backfield the secondary plays kind of loose. If the staff does not consider Ramsey a viable option (and I am not entirely sure why, compared to Blewnell) than we may as well leave mark in.

The secondary will be fine.... next year, with carlos rogers getting better and walt harris getting released. we have good safeties and Sean springs has been pretty solid all year. The line needs a good speed end. Our middle is fine, we can stop the run up the gut and DTs aren't generally the guys who get the sacks.

As far as Portis, ok he finally fumbled, wow 2 for the year, so that puts him in the league of Ladainian Tomlinson now. IF anything he needs more touches maybe some more screens, definitely more carries. He is by far our most consistant player and biggest offensive weapon.

For our bookends, if you look at the tapes most of the sacks are coming from up the middle, missed assignments by tight ends or Mark holding the ball too long.

Lastly until he proves otherwise Gibbs is the football god, he has adjusted this year, they are taking deep strikes and trying to move the ball. His primary tool, Blewnell, stinks, and gibbs ain't playing (though he probably would do better). Lastly why should he have any confidence, his quarterback stinks and his true short yardage threat is injured (betts).

Your point about the d-line is completely accurate. We simply dont produce any pass rush with our front four. Imagine the defense we would have if we could put more people in coverage and not have to worry about blitzing linebackers, safeties, and corners to muster a pass rush. If we can improve our front four then I think our defense gives up far less big plays and steps it up a huge notch.

The offensive line is a disaster. Derek Dockery has played poorly, Casey Rabach has NOT lived up to his contract, and I am most disapointed in Chris Samuels. He has looked fairly awful this season and Jon Jansen did not play like his old self. We have a few holes to fill this offseason and I hope we are able to fill some of them.

To address your points:

Our defensive tackles are ok, I think, given our other needs. Cornelius Griffin is good, and Joe Salave'a has been a pleasant surprise. We are grooming Evans and Killings, but our starters are fine. Defensive end is where we need help.

I have to disagree with you strongly on Rabach. I think he has been a great addition. Dockery is really turning into a strong tackle as well, and is very good pulling on run plays. Pressure has generally reached Brunell from the outside, not up the middle. We ARE solid up the middle protection-wise.

Samuels is the main problem. Jared Allen had 3 sacks against us, facing Samuels. Osi Umenyiora had 2 sacks, facing Samuels. Simeon Rice had 2 sacks, facing Samuels. Burgess today did well, partially against Samuels.

Jon Jansen has had some intermittent troubles in pass protection, but he rarely receives help from tight ends because Samuels needs that help. Jansen is very strong in run blocking too (if you notice we run to the right alot more than to the left) and that, in my mind, makes up for his issues in pass protection sometimes.

Personally, I don't think Samuels is good at anything. He isn't much of a run blocker either. But his contract is so huge that cutting him would kill our cap.

It's a bad situation.

i was just thinking 8-8 myself! i feel 4 of our wins were luck! we are pretty tough but, we are not a play off team! i say campbell is the answer now! build for the future now! i just lost all hope after today!

the future is now!!!!!!!! and i think we should give portis back to denver! they wouldn't take him back! may be they would! they have a better o line!!!!!!!!

Ok I agree, I would like to see Campbell come in but only if we lose 2 more. Until then we are still in the hunt however rediculous you guys think that notion is. If we have 7 losses, start Campbell, if not go with whats working.

Running game- this is a big problem, dont let the yardage numbers fool you, we arent doing much at all. All of Gibbs' running plays are designed for backs that are power first, scat 2nd. Portis is the other way around. Portis is a great runningback, an amazing one, but we cant use him to his full potential with the power, man on, pulling o-line with blocking schemes designed for backs that run somebody over, not try to run around them. Look at Portis on some of his 10 yard runs that could be sprung for 60 and a td...half the time he ends up bumping into his own team mate or something.

I will probably get alot of **** for saying this but either Gibbs should change the way he does offense to compliment his back and put him in the correct position to use his great talents, or get someone who is the correct fit. You cant run Portis inside all day expecting him to run people over. He simply isnt that kind of a running back and to try and use him that way every week just limits our offense and keeps him out of the end zone. I hope we can see the zone blocking, because its either that, failure like we have now, or Gibbs needs to think about finding an actual power back. And no I dont think Betts is that such back.

Passing wise- Right now Brunell is getting pressured way too much, and in the crucial moments, our line's blocking breaks down big time. Look at our last play today. A play against Denver that could have been disasterous, called back on a defensive penalty, the last play against the Bucs last week, numerous times on 3rd against the Giants, Cheifs, Dallas, Eagles, in each game at a big moment on a 3rd down or late in the 4th quarter when the game is on the line, the o-line is just not cutting it. We need to seriously re-evaluate Jansen and Samuels. I know then can play well but they may need even more coaching up hell I cant even explain why they are sucking.

As for passing Brunell when he has time isnt seeing the field well. Just like last year he dumps off much much more than half of his passes. The beginning of the year wasnt like this, but today, last week, the Eagles game, Giants, he took about 4 shots over 10 yards. He is not seeing the field well sometimes and I cant explain that either. The coverage isnt great but for some reason we arent exploiting it. Another thing- today Gibbs just about never sent a WR on a good rout over the middle. The play there the Raiders scored the TD to Porter, he was covered by a linebacker. We were drawing the same coverage most of the time- a corner and safety taking each outside WR, and a linebacker on the slot over the middle, etc. We never exploited it...

On defense people are knocking our coverage big time which is just wrong. Our coverage guys did a good job today considering how most teams' secondaries have a tough time defending when the opposing team's QB is under pressure and throwing. Our secondary gave the Raiders all day...just alllllll dayyyy to throw, and for that fact I think our secondary played amazing well, especially Taylor in coverage minus the 1 play where he didnt get to his coverage on the sidelines....

The linebackers have not done a bad job either. On most run plays they blow up a blocker or stuff the runner. The biggest problem is the D line. Our defensive line is solid in run stopping. In fact it seems that run stopping is all they do. When it comes to pass rushing they look like a group of little girls standing still playing patty cake with the offensive line. They have just about 0 moves, honestly they stand up out of their stances and stand their man up then look around for where the running back is. If its a pass about 3 seconds into the pass the decide they should be rushing, then maybe maybe they will throw in a swim, spin, rip but it doesnt matter because the ball is allready away downfield. They are very dissappointing, we need a pass rushing defensive end.

I love our team I like all of the players on it, but right now we arent getting it done. Either the coaches gotta change their style for the players, or they gotta get players that play with their style.

Wow- looks like you might give a little more than a damn

I think you make a good argument but it aint gonna happen, as we painfully witnessed last year, Gibbs sticks with his guys

I have felt that the d-line has been neglected for a while in the draft and free agency, but particularly the draft. I kind of knew going in that they wouldn't be able to generate much of a pass rush but I thought the o-line would be down right dominate between the players and the coaching.

Jacobs will get another chance next week mostly b/c they don't really have anyone else but he just did not look fast today. Where are the salary cap threads, I'm dying to know how we are looking for next season.

**Please note that I think it is too early to give up on the season, while their probably isn't a team left on the schedule that they can't lose to there also isn't a team left on the schedule that they can't beat. 5-5 is too early to throw in the towel but for message board purposes I am curious about cap room and picks (or lack thereof) for next year.

I still have some faint hope for this season but even if I didn't, I say leave Brunell in there and try to get to 7 or 8 wins. Why give Denver a top 10 pick? Because that's what we'd be doing if we put in Campbell now.

So, just to spite Denver (oh and because I still think we can win this division :insane: ), keep Brunell in there.

Archived