Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

R the Redskins turning into the Wizards?????

GPREP HOG

Anyone else feel this way?

When I say they are turning into the Wizards I am saying that they are turning into a franchise that does not know how to win, a team which plays hard one week and does not show up the next.

A team where one week the offense shines and the defence forgets how to tackle and the next week you feel like you are watching All-Pros on offense and the practice squad on defense......

You want to know why they are turning into the Wizards....because in the games they are not supposed to win, against the big teams under the big spotlight they give it all they have and pull out the victory......but after big wins, when the media is saying how great they look, when they feel they are unstoppable they get COMPLACENT and basically do not give it their all to win......

They are becoming a team where making the playoffs as a wild-card team is somehow considered an accomplishment.......

They are becoming a team that has brought back a legend (Jordan/Gibbs) in hopes of saving a franchise that had no where else to go......when they did that they expected everything to change and good times would soon come without even having to put forth the effort it takes to win.....

They are becoming a team which knows how to win a sprint but not a marathon.......the NFL is a marathon, and the skins just like the wizards usually do, have hit the 'wall' and once again are going to throw in the towel......

Please please please tell me that I am wrong.........

But does anyone get the feeling that a franchise that dominated the 80s now is turning into a franchise which cares more about selling season tickets then through bringing in big name stars (Howard/Webber....Deon/Smith) then bringing in real talent......

Not giving up on them yet.......but it hurts, it hurts........

you obviously don't know much about the NBA to make this statement.

The Wizards after Jordan left were given up for dead by the NBA Insiders who felt that no quality front office people or coaches would come here to DC.

In less than 2 full years Ernie Grunfeld has turned a 20 plus win club into a 45 win club that not only made the playoffs but won its first series and made it to the divisional round.

The Wizards are still a very young team and I don't see how being 5-4 in an 82 game schedule is anywhere near analogous to being 5-5 in a 16 game schedule as the Redskins are.

In the NBA, you hold serve into the New Year and we find out who the better teams are in February.

In the NFL the time to step up is November. This is precisely where the Redskins have fumbled.

But to compare the two franchises at this point is ridiculous.

The Redskins right now would kill to have the season the Wizards did last year in making the postseason and winning a game and making it to the conference round.

Thats exactly what I am talking about.......

The Wizards made the playoffs.........and that is considered a HUGE accomplishment......

SO WHAT THEY MADE THE PLAYOFFS, they were not even close to being considered in contention for the NBA title........

because they are a 'losing' franchise that is considered a huge accomplishment..........

I HOPE THE SKINS DO NOT TAKE ON THAT PHILOSOPHY......

And I feel like it is.......

you build one step at a time. The first step is to accumulate young talent and develop it. Then that talent starts to win for you. Finally, it matures and if you have enough of it you win a championship or contend for one.

the Wizards to me are a lot further along that road than the Redskins. The Wizards GM is a legitimate NBA executive that has put together 50 plus win clubs. The talent on the team is all under 30 years of age and most are under 25.

how is making the playoffs for the first time in 7 years and winning a series for the first time since 1988 merely settling? :laugh:

you have to take one step at a time.

and yes, it HAS been a long enough time since the Redskins last won that a trip to the playoffs as a wildcard WOULD be reason to consider it a successful season.

what else can you consider it, after finishing 5-11 and 6-10 the past two years?

you obviously don't know much about the NBA to make this statement.

The Wizards after Jordan left were given up for dead by the NBA Insiders who felt that no quality front office people or coaches would come here to DC.

In less than 2 full years Ernie Grunfeld has turned a 20 plus win club into a 45 win club that not only made the playoffs but won its first series and made it to the divisional round.

The Wizards are still a very young team and I don't see how being 5-4 in an 82 game schedule is anywhere near analogous to being 5-5 in a 16 game schedule as the Redskins are.

In the NBA, you hold serve into the New Year and we find out who the better teams are in February.

In the NFL the time to step up is November. This is precisely where the Redskins have fumbled.

But to compare the two franchises at this point is ridiculous.

The Redskins right now would kill to have the season the Wizards did last year in making the postseason and winning a game and making it to the conference round.

No I do understand the NBA........I was a HUGE wizards fan.......and it does seem like they are now turning it around......

But you know what, to be honest I would be real happy if they won the first round of the playoffs........

BUT YOU KNOW WHAT, i WOULD NOT BE ESTATIC, so what they won one round of the playoffs........if you do not win at least the NFC then you can not be up in arms real real happy........

That is what happened with Norv when he was here, everyone got real happy when he really made it that one year and then lost to Tampa......but all in all he turned the franchise into one that excepted losing, who cares if you win one round of the playoffs,

to be honest I would rather take the higher pick and get ready for the next year to win it all........

If you do not win it all........then who cares.......

you know who cares........LOSING FRANCHISES WHO MAKE IT TO THE PLAYOFFS ONCE EVERY TEN YEARS.........

Lets hope this is not what the skins have become or are becomign.......

The Wizards made the playoffs.........and that is considered a HUGE accomplishment......

SO WHAT THEY MADE THE PLAYOFFS, they were not even close to being considered in contention for the NBA title........

because they are a 'losing' franchise that is considered a huge accomplishment..........

Grep I would love it if we were like the wizards the playoffs are better then what has happened in years past :doh:

No I do understand the NBA........I was a HUGE wizards fan.......and it does seem like they are now turning it around......

But you know what, to be honest I would be real happy if they won the first round of the playoffs........

you know they did that last year right :laugh: :laugh: :doh: please put the crack pipe down and step away from the computer

:laugh:

:laugh:

We are already past that point Only it hurts more becasue we were once great :doh:

The Wizards front office has shown results on the court in the forum of a playoff series win. The redskins front office has brought in good players but at a hefty price and hasn't produced a winner.

So no the Redskins are not the wizards. I hope they will be next year.

the mentality you speak of would only be a limiting factor if the team made the playoffs as a wildcard for 3 or 4 years in a row and the organization and fans seemed satisfied by that accomplishment :)

making the playoffs for the first time after being down as a franchise is part of the growth process.

if you are waiting around to toast a champion, a lot of times you are going to wait YEARS.

even teams that win a lot of titles like the Yankees or Montreal Canadiens have gone through long droughts of not winning.

enjoy a playoff appearance, winning record and win in that first round game? damn straight :D

you know they did that last year right :laugh: :laugh: :doh: please put the crack pipe down and step away from the computer

Past 25 Years:

Redskins: 3 championships

Wizards: 0 (they did win once I think it was before 1980 though)

Past 10 Years:

Redskins: One Playoff win

Wizards: One Playoff win

Looks like to me the Skins historically have been a winning franchise, the Wizards losers.......

Looks like to me the Wizards have had one Playoff win in the past ten years and so have the Redskins.......

Listen to yourself, you are saying the the Wizards are good, they have not prooven anything more then one playoff win.......the skins have had just as much success in the postseason as the Wizards in the paste ten years....

You accept that one playoff win from the wizards because they are born losers as a franchise........

Whatever it is you are smoking pass it my way, because I really need something to take away the pain......... :laugh:

However, the Wizards have one of the three best players in the league at their position (Gilbert Arenas) in a league that's driven by individual accomplishment, along with a GENERAL MANAGER with a history of building winning teams in Ernie Grunfeld, and a coach with a winning history in Eddie Jordan.

If the Wizards pick up a PF they're easily championship contenders.

If the Redskins get a QB, a working defense, better offensive and defensive line play, and a great offensive plan, then yeah... they're championship contenders.

The Wizards have gotten rid of the losing mentality of the past and brought in winning people, as well as actually winning tough games. The Redskins have been outright losers for 10+ years, with no end in sight.

I'm happy to be a Wizards fan, and hopeful. Do I think they'll win a championship this year? Definitely not.

Is there ANY visible hope with this Redskins team? What do YOU think?

I think this thread has devolved. It isn't material when the Wizards last won a championship as any kind of comparison to the Redskins.

What I will say is the Redskins of the 1980's were preceded by a Bullets team in the 1970's that made it to 3 NBA championship series after moving to Washington in 1974, winning in 1978.

The Bullets were really the first team in the area to win any kind of title since WWII.

The fact remains that history is not going to help the Redskins. Gibbs said as much when he came back.

The only thing that matters is what you do NOW to solve today's problems. On offense the Redskins have improved their team from 2004 in some very consequential ways. The play of the qb is much improved. The playmaking ability at WR is much improved. The average yardage per rush is up.

What is clearly down from last year is the performance of the defense. Injuries have played a big part in that. The absence of Griffin and Taylor have hurt the team. Taylor back does not mean Taylor playing healthy. Brandon Noble is gone for the year.

What else?

The team overestimated what it could get out of the rest of the DL. No draft picks or free agents were brought in to challenge the starting DEs despite the lack of pressure from that position in 2004.

The team drafted Carlos Rogers and planned on transitioning him in at corner while continuing to use Walt Harris as the starter.

Without the pressure of the front seven, these two have been beaten repeatedly in single coverage down the field.

Last year, the Redskins were able to get pressure by using backfield players and linebackers. This year other teams have seemingly figured out the defensive tendencies and continue to 'guess right' and beat the Redskins blitz.

My guess is, if the Redskins and Gibbs knew that Brunell was going to bounce back as strongly as he did from a poor 2004 season the team might very well have passed on Jason Campbell. But the fact they couldn't know how far back he could come to what he had been before, the team felt compelled to acquire the insurance policy for the future in 2005.

In this respect Gibbs was snakebitten. He chose Brunell because he thought he could still play. Only, his arrival as a productive qb was delayed a year by injury and other factors.

If we had seen this Brunell last year and Coles/Gardner had been productive, we might have drafted that DE or inside LB that might have strengthened our ability to pressure the qb.

Archived