Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Frozen in a 100% time lock. Has anyone else noticed this?

kleese

The season is done. I hate to say it but it is.

The Giants and the Cowboys have a two game lead, and these Skins showed today that no game is a guaranteed W. In the second half when the game was on the line our defense gave up 13 and our offense scored 0 in a must win home game. For all I know this team will beat SD then drop both the STL and ARI games. It's not quite ready for primetime, maybe next year. The playoff push should have started last week and it didn't, we had a chance to right the ship today against a team that served it on a platter for us, (easiest game at home we've had except for SF) and we still couldn't get out of our own way. The defense can't pressure the quarterback and the offense can't get through a game without coughing it up three or four times, even good teams can't win like this. There are positives like Moss, Salavea and S.Taylor the team as a whole is improving but very very slowly. The way this team has played this year we'll be lucky to go 3-3 the rest of the way and that puts us at 8-8, way out of it.

It really is pretty pathetic. After this season, we will have made the playoffs one year out of 13. Few teams can claim that.

And the one season we did make the playoffs, we had the Dan Turk snap end our chances.

Fact is, we will never be consistently good until we make a committment to the draft, and not to free agency. Signing older players to fat contracts may help initially, but in the end it is a recipe for cap disaster.

We need a real GM.

This is an 8-8 team, but clearly not an 8-8 team on the upswing. There are no young upcoming defensive linemen that will be in the pro bowl in 2 years. Shawn Springs is nearing "over-the-hill" status as he approaches 32 next year. The offensive line has PEAKED and in fact they appear to be getting worse every year. The QB has seen his better days and in fact, Gibbs will go with him next season, until that season is in the tank and then maybe late we will see Campbell...but thats late NEXT season.

Clearly an average team that plays DOWN to opponents and UP to others. Very consistent in that way...and clearly a team with no killer instinct. Never able to put an opponent away because the COACH has no killer instinct. He doens't like to be perceived as mean, so he's going to run, run, run the football and throw short passes and when he gets a lead, he won't try to score again. He just wants to run out the clock.

We're not THAT bad. We've only been beatly badly once this year. Every other game is close until the very end. We could easily be 7-3 (or 3-7). Gibbs is pretty close to making this team a contender. It might not happen this year, but have some faith in the old man.

Also consider that we have no one on the d-line that can rush the passer. It's hard to win when you can't touch the other team's quarterback. Gibbs is a great coach, but I don't know if he can coach Phillip Daniels and Renaldo Wynn on how to beat offensive tackles...

I hate to use the word luck when talking football but NOTHING every seams to go our way. The Skins fumble and the opponent recovers the opponent fumbles and they recover. Every questionable call seem to go the opponents way. We have outgained several of the teams we lost to by LARGE margins (DEN and KC). It has been beat to death here but if the elbow didn't break the plain no way the ball did. I still don't understand how that fumble yesterday wasn't a fumble.

All right I am done.

Sorry Operations, but how many times in the past, especially the Spurrier era, have we heard the same old song.....we've been soooooo close in every game. In the parity-driven NFL almost all the games are close......its the good teams that consistently win them and the mediocre teams that don't. I'd put us in the latter category right now.

Its pretty sad when you're wondering which this team is more like.....those of the Ol' Ball Coach or those of the Norv era.

I think everyone is making valid points here. I think that this team isn't necessarily out of it yet, but they've used up their mulligans for the season. We've played some tough teams in some tough games. I think when we look back on this season we'll see several things that really disadvantaged us:

1) Strength of schedule: has been absolutely brutal

2) Early Bye Week: this is what really gets me--please explain to me how we have a bye week in Week 3 with our schedule, while the Colts get a bye week when? Smack in the middle of the season--week 8. It makes you wonder.

3) Failure to address the defensive line. Football, offensive and defensive is won or lost in the trenches. Our inability to address this weakness that has been apparent for years has finally caught up with us. We have one of the worst defensive lines in the league. Without Griffin, it is the worst.

It's kind of a cop-out when there are obviously some things wrong with the team, but I feel like plain old bad luck has played a big part.

People talk about the 80's and early 90's and you'd think we just walked on the field and won every game 45-0. If you look game by game at those seasons, there were plenty of 27-24 and 17-13 wins. And inside each of those games were lots of little things that just seemed to go right. Controversial calls would go our way, our opponents would fumble at just the right time, their DB's would slip and fall and leave our WR wide open, etc. You take a few of those things away, and those 12-4 seasons turn into 9-7 or 10-6 real easily.

For some weird reason, we just don't seem to catch as many of those breaks any more. We don't get the calls, the fumbles don't bounce our way, and we're the ones who'll slip and miss a block, etc.

I'm not making apologies for some pretty sloppy and weak play, but I sometimes feel like our lack of dumb luck leaves us so little margin for error in games where we could use a little help.

2) Early Bye Week: this is what really gets me--please explain to me how we have a bye week in Week 3 with our schedule, while the Colts get a bye week when? Smack in the middle of the season--week 8. It makes you wonder.

No, unless you're a conspiracy theorist holed up in your burgandy-and-gold bunker, this shouldn't matter to you. Front runner Pittsburgh had a bye week in Week 4 -- are they being screwed by the league like the Skins? Tennesse and New Orleans had the latest bye weeks with Week 10 -- are those sorry excuses for franchises being rewarded? Answer to both: no.

It's all random, dude.

Sorry Operations, but how many times in the past, especially the Spurrier era, have we heard the same old song.....we've been soooooo close in every game. In the parity-driven NFL almost all the games are close......its the good teams that consistently win them and the mediocre teams that don't. I'd put us in the latter category right now.

Its pretty sad when you're wondering which this team is more like.....those of the Ol' Ball Coach or those of the Norv era.

I understand your point, but I put Gibbs in a category way way above Norv and the OBC. I think Joe is squeezing everything he can out of this team and that this time we really ARE close to being contenders...

Archived