Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Frozen in a 100% time lock. Has anyone else noticed this?

kleese

In general, the NFL ebbs and flows. Teams get good, then average, then bad, then good again.

While the rest of the NFL comes and goes, the Redskins seem 100% stuck in neutral. We're rarely good, we're rarely bad. But we're always agonizing.

Today just allowed it to all really sink in nice and good. After what seemed to be such a promising start to the season and two "reversal" wins over Dallas and Philly, it appeared as if the Redskins would at least contend for the East all season. Since the 3-0 start, we've gone 2-5 with one of those wins over the lowly 49ers.

This is now just a "C" season IMO. We're a little better than we were last year, but not by a lot. We're 5-5, clearly on the "pretender" list for the post-season party.

Yes, technically we still control our own destiny. 5-1 the rest of the way will get us into the playoffs, but after the past two weeks (and really, the past two months) it's very clear that the Redskins just aren't all that good. Not all that bad, but not all that good.

Gibbs look lost and confused today. His gameplan was absolutely woeful. Norv did his best to hand us this game as the Raiders came out flat, turned the ball over, and committed stupid penalties. But we just couldn't get out of the muck.

A truly miserable performance at home against a bad team in a game we sorely needed.

It's just amazing to me to look around the league and see all of these other teams have up years and down years. Yet, we can pretty much count on the same ole, same ole regardless of player, coach, etc....

I REALLY thought we were going to have some holiday football that mattered this year. But it ain't gonna happen.

Yeah, IF we go 3-0 over the next 3 we'll be in great shape. But you know what? We WON'T go 3-0.

I told my wife a week or so ago about how I was so excited about Thanksgiving, sitting back on the holiday, and looking forward to the playoff push. Now, that feeling has faded. Since we're still alive, I will of course watch and root as I have for the past 20+ years, but once again the Redskins have managed to suck the fun out of the event.

Once again Norv ends our season :doh:

I never thought we'd see a significant amount of improvement at the QB position past what Brunell was doing at his best, but I didn't think the rest of the team would regress as well. It's a little depressing. I think this team needs a spark, or the season is headed down the drain.

As for those who want to start Cambell, that is a sign you're giving up on the season; To start a rookie QB. It sends the wrong message to the rest of the team. Especially an unproven rookie like Cambell, this is not Marino on the bench. Either you keep going with Brunell with your fingers crossed and hope this recent span of regression is nary but a mirage, or you turn to Ramsey to be the spark plug. While eventually, if we keep heading in this direction as a team I think this might happen, it will probably be but too late.

Actually, maybe it's a blessing for them. They don't know what it's like to sit around on Christmas and New Year's soaking in the glory of a division race or a big upcoming playoff game. They dont' realize that the food tastes better and everything seems easier when we're involved in meaningful games.

In other words, they don't know what they're missing. I do. And that's what hurts the most.

Wow, abandon ship.

Granted, there wasn't a lot to root for today, but I'm not giving up yet.

Who is abandoning ship? We've all been Redskin's fans for the last ten years. We know the patterns. Well, we see the same patterns developing again. 2-5 in our last 7. We're 1-3 since blowing out an awful san francisco team. We'll never stop cheering but the blueprint isn't anything new, it's nothing unfamiliar. We see it every year. Self implosion.

This team needs a spark to wake them up and show them that it's themselves that are the problem in these close games.

I agree. Feel bad for everyone under 20 that is a Skins fan... they may never have anything to be happy about.

Yea i only have had one time i was happy about the skins team was when they made the playoffs in 99'. Other than that i havent experienced any of the skins superbowls b/c i was too young. And now i am about to go off to college in a year and a half, and wont be able to see this team go no where

As the season goes on this team is palying like it's tired.

That's what occurs when you play such a tough schedule consisting of opponents who require you to play ultra-competitively each week. Combine this with such an early bye week and our mounting injury situation, and you see a team that is tailing off as the season prolongs.

In general, the NFL ebbs and flows. Teams get good, then average, then bad, then good again.

While the rest of the NFL comes and goes, the Redskins seem 100% stuck in neutral. We're rarely good, we're rarely bad. But we're always agonizing.

Today just allowed it to all really sink in nice and good. After what seemed to be such a promising start to the season and two "reversal" wins over Dallas and Philly, it appeared as if the Redskins would at least contend for the East all season. Since the 3-0 start, we've gone 2-5 with one of those wins over the lowly 49ers.

This is now just a "C" season IMO. We're a little better than we were last year, but not by a lot. We're 5-5, clearly on the "pretender" list for the post-season party.

Yes, technically we still control our own destiny. 5-1 the rest of the way will get us into the playoffs, but after the past two weeks (and really, the past two months) it's very clear that the Redskins just aren't all that good. Not all that bad, but not all that good.

Gibbs look lost and confused today. His gameplan was absolutely woeful. Norv did his best to hand us this game as the Raiders came out flat, turned the ball over, and committed stupid penalties. But we just couldn't get out of the muck.

A truly miserable performance at home against a bad team in a game we sorely needed.

It's just amazing to me to look around the league and see all of these other teams have up years and down years. Yet, we can pretty much count on the same ole, same ole regardless of player, coach, etc....

I REALLY thought we were going to have some holiday football that mattered this year. But it ain't gonna happen.

Yeah, IF we go 3-0 over the next 3 we'll be in great shape. But you know what? We WON'T go 3-0.

I told my wife a week or so ago about how I was so excited about Thanksgiving, sitting back on the holiday, and looking forward to the playoff push. Now, that feeling has faded. Since we're still alive, I will of course watch and root as I have for the past 20+ years, but once again the Redskins have managed to suck the fun out of the event.

Once again Norv ends our season :doh:

You summed it up nicely.

We are a 500 team @ best. The game has caught up to us.

You don't get to have a -13 turnover diff AND a winning record. The writing has been on the wall since training camp. That's why Gibbs spends so much time preaching possetion.

:helmet:

It really is pretty pathetic. After this season, we will have made the playoffs one year out of 13. Few teams can claim that.

And the one season we did make the playoffs, we had the Dan Turk snap end our chances.

Fact is, we will never be consistently good until we make a committment to the draft, and not to free agency. Signing older players to fat contracts may help initially, but in the end it is a recipe for cap disaster.

The season is far from gone.

We have Arizona & St. Louis on the schedule. Both should be W's.

We have a difficult game vs. the cgargers at home that we can pull out.

We have a hobbled Philly away.

We have the cowgitls and gnats at home.

There is no reason to think the season is lost.

In Gibbs I trust.

Funny how it works. Last week with a few minutes left in the game we had hopes of 6-3 and celebrating a great comeback win, and then feasting on Oakland this week. Dallas was looking at 5-4 until a miracle comeback against Philly. And now here we are. We're more Norv-like than Norv himself.

Yes I'm tired of being stuck in neutral. I'm tired of being a few plays away from the playoffs every year. I'm tired of the offense being bad when the defense is good and the defense being bad when the offense is good. The last two weeks we've lost 36-35 and 16-13. How maddening is that?

When we've come to this point in past seasons, I'd always recall how great the Gibbs era was and how we wouldn't be going through this if he came back. Not that they'd win every game, but that we wouldn't beat ourselves and lose heartbreakers week after week. And yet here we are singing the same old song.

About the only positive that can come out of this season besides the offense having some success is if we beat Dallas twice. But that would be a hollow victory. I'd rather lose twice and still make the playoffs like '99.

Good post Kleese. However I'd beg to differ with your assertion that we've been "...rarely good, we're rarely bad. But we're always agonizing." I'd say mostly bad and rarely good, but I agree with you on the agonizing thing. :( Truth is, we've been Cardinals East since Gibbs 1.0. Sigh.:(

I think a lot of our problems stem both from the fact that we have neglected the lines in the draft and have made poor draft and F.A. decisions. However, we do have something to look forward to in F.A.and the upcoming draft of QBs and DTs

IMHO if we somehow find one legit pass rushing DE and one credible threat at WR opposite Moss this is a much different team. Both those things are very dooable. So, my offseason wish list is for those two things plus another QB to compete with Campbell for QB of the future from what looks like a deep draft for sleeper QB prospects. Add some quality depth players into the mix and this upcoming offseason is pregnant with possibility.

As for this season, I'm just happy that we've got something we didn't have last season-a shot at playing meaningful football in December and the reality that we've made some incremental improvement so far. Mind you, I'm not the optimistic type, this is just how I see it. OK, so maybe my prediction that we'd win 10 games was a bit much, but this team has made progress to the point that we're only a few players away from contending. We couldn't say that last season so everything isn't gloom and doom...even if it feels that way after losing to a lousy team like the Rayduhs.

The really sad thing is that since Gibbs left we had a six-year playoff drought until getting over the hump in 1999. This is our sixth season since that playoff year, and unless the Skins can turn it around pronto, it doesn't appear like playoffs are on the horizon this year either. And the past two games have had the same pattern......controversy at the goal line, but yet the Skins still had a chance to win or tie. We get to midfield and then get stuck.

This game reminded me of the 2000 game against Philly where Stephen Davis was injured the week prior in the Rams game and we had no threat, leading to a situation where we couldn't punch it in from the three in SIX downs. I remember Andy Pollin describing Jeff George as a "one-legged man in a butt-kicking contest" that day and sure enough in his post-game show today he gave the same description of Brunell. Norv was our coach then, and the truth of the matter is he is laughing tonight........things weren't so easy, were they? I hope he gave a big smirk to Snyder as he exited the field

this afternoon.

Good thread. That definitely seems to be the case.

One thing to keep in mind though, we were a HORRIBLE team when Joe Gibbs came back. So we're 1.5 seasons into a new era. Many here said they'd be happy with a .500-ish record and some playoff talk in November and December.

The 3-0 start raised some expectations around here, but I think it's time we revert back to what we expected coming into the season. This is an improving team that is still growing together.

8-8 or 9-7 and the fact that it's T-giving and we're in the playoff picture is right about where we thought this team would be.

I'll say this, if we beat the Chargers, we will have righted the ship to a certain extent.

6-5 with the Rams and Cardinals looming isn't such a bad thing.

But it's just hard to envision the Redskins coming away with the win next week.

Unfortunately, we've been so inconsistent it's tough for me to envision any type of winning streak. We could beat the Chargers by 14 next weekend and I'd be nervous that we'd let one get away vs. the Rams. :2cents:

I'll say this, if we beat the Chargers, we will have righted the ship to a certain extent.

6-5 with the Rams and Cardinals looming isn't such a bad thing.

But it's just hard to envision the Redskins coming away with the win next week.

Good point and a huge game for you. Win that game, and maybe you guys are better than .500.....

The skins will be fighting for their lives just as Philly did Monday night. I wonder if it will matter?

Archived