Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Coverage on Porter

EFFENCOWBOYS

I was gonna start this thread too. (good thing I seached first)...

Anyway...I dont understand this either...ok so your gonna blitz a CB ok that is understandable....by no means am I an NFL D-coordinator but by all means am i trying to figure this out....

Your gonna blitz a DB and instead of shifting a safety to shadow the Porter/Marshall matchup your gonna just leave Lemar out there 1-on-1? I just dont get it.....if there was a blown assignment then OK well I guess I understand that is the reason...but the FACT that there was a blown assignment is absurd at this stage of the season.

They have 2 players on that field that are playmakers and one of them is 50% healthy (Moss) and the other is obvious (Porter). I just cant fathom how either player is left alone in 1 on 1 coverage by a LB.

I was in the endzone that he caught the TD in.....I cant recall (w/out looking at the replay) if Multiple blitzers came at the QB...BUT what i do know is that I saw Collins standing all alone w/not a soul around him looking at 3 or 4 different WR's...to say he had too much time would be an understatement....the guy could have been in a recliner.

If we did blitz all those DB's and Safeties that were supposed to be on Porter than what in the everliving hell happened to them at the LOS?????

Brees has more weapons at his disposal and a better O-line....I dont feel good about this game coming up.

You get no argument from me......I was at a loss as to why Porter was availible for a pass on every down there was and I can't put the blame on Walt Harris this week, and still I would like to know why coach Greg pulls Arrington out on 3rd down passing situations

It's not a blown assignment; it's part of the scheme. And it's insanely risky.

My biggest criticism with Williams' approach is that it is way too high risk/high reward. It seems to be a defense that relies totally on whether he guesses right. If he gets hot for a few games, it looks amazing. But if he's not hot (which is inevitable), bad matchups get exploited.

For all the talk of the Marshall/Porter mismatch, I gotta say Marshall was stride for stride with Porter. Unless that ball is thrown perfectly (which it was) Marshall is in position to make a play on the ball. They pay the other guys too, you know.

For all the talk of the Marshall/Porter mismatch, I gotta say Marshall was stride for stride with Porter. Unless that ball is thrown perfectly (which it was) Marshall is in position to make a play on the ball. They pay the other guys too, you know.

That's a good point. My only gripe would be if you're going to have your MLB cover, at least teach him to get his head around and look for the ball...

Had nothing to do with GW. Numerous times the safey(s) were drawn off by pump-fakes and other routes by TE's and such. It was our secondary that gave up those plays themselves, not GW. I will say though, that with the exception of the play that left Marshal 1v1 against Porter for that TD pass, ST did a hell of a job yesterday. I think we need to start looking for a new CB instead of Harris.

that is a good point...my buddy mentioned the same thing....but he still needs to make a play on the ball. Either Porter is really slow or Marshall is really fast. Marshall isnt skilled in defending in coverage down the field on a wideout....if we are asking a LB to cover a probowl WR down the field 1 on 1 then we should get beat by teams like the Raiders....more times than not that WR is gonna beat our LB regardless if its LaVar covering Todd Pinkston or Marshall covering Porter....a LB covering a WR is a mismatch and the scheme seems to be at fault.

Oh well....its over...

If we see Sala'vea covering LaDanian down the sideline next week in that coverage scheme im gonna vomit. :mad:

You know, when we had Mike Nolan as our defensive coordinator everyone was screaming their head off that we needed to blitz more, me included. This is the unfortunate outcome of blitzing schemes that don't get to the QB. Other players will get open due to less people in the secondary. Williams has to send more people in because our D-line can not get any pressure. Having Griffin on the sideline these last 4 games has really hurt. When he finally gets back you'll see Williams' defense get better.

I could have sworn that Marshall was supposed to have help...

They showed the zoomed out replay and you saw ST break on the short pattern (Moss?) leaving Marshall in man-to-man coverage.

ST had to choose at some point...Collins was back there for about 35 seconds with NO pressure.

True, but usually as a Safety, you don't let receivers past you. Considering that you got a WR streaking down the field, with just a LB covering him, you'd think he'd get the priority, but I guess that doesn't make sense. :rolleyes:

Jason

What I don't understand is TWO WEEKS IN A ROW, why Marshall (a linebacker) is covering the other team's best receiver. I thought safeties and DB's do tha.

Last week, Marshall against Galloway. The Bucs get a 24 yard touchdown

This week, Marshall against Porter. Again, the Raiders get a 40 yard touchdown.

I pissed.............

To me it looked like a fake blitz that turned into a cover 2 zone. It was Williams who was trying to bait Collins into getting rid of the ball quickly by faking a blitz.

Unfotunately the call didnt work in our favor because in a cover 2 scheme you better have good edge rushers ala (John Abraham, Simeon Rice, Freeney,Ogulnlye) sp.

Also in a cover 2 the middle of the field is always manned by the middle linebacker because the both safties roll to take away the deep 3rd of the field.

Finally i would say it was a good call because it worked in the first quarter, but if the dline continues to give QB'S time like yesterday we will have trouble in the next three weeks.

Because Greg Williams is an egotistical retard, his defensive playcalling recently has been bush league at best and I would like to personally get him and Greg Blanche in a dark alley for about 5 minutes. Gibbs better beg and plead to get Pettibone out of retirement.

You guys are unbelievable.

First off, Collins had about 15 minutes to throw the ball. Unacceptable.

Second, Marshall was supposed to have help...the safety bit and did not cover Porter, leaving our MLB out to dry chugging down the field to keep up with Jerry Porter.

NOT Marshalls fault, NOT Williams fault, if anything it was the safety (I believe it was Taylor) for not coming over the top to help. Taylor was biting on Randy all day, he loves the Randy matchup, it was only a matter of time before the Raiders exploited it.

It's not a blown assignment; it's part of the scheme. And it's insanely risky.

My biggest criticism with Williams' approach is that it is way too high risk/high reward. It seems to be a defense that relies totally on whether he guesses right. If he gets hot for a few games' date=' it looks amazing. But if he's not hot (which is inevitable), bad matchups get exploited.[/quote']

G.Williams has been having success here in Washington by taking calculated risks to overcome the lack of a pass rush from his front four.

Philip Daniels was supposed to solve the problem for us this year but has disappointed.

Now, our opponents have learned GW's gambling tendencies and can occasionally exploit them. Still, one legit pass rusher lined up next to a healthy C.Griffin, would make the risk-taking unnecessary.

Archived