Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can we admit that we have an inconsistent defense?

WeBB15

I mean, at Dallas, Bledsoe put up a 70 yd pass for a score. and vs Seattle, Hasselbeck lit us up all over the field including a 90 yd drive to tie the game.

Broncos, Bell, ran 2 tds on 30+ runs or something liek that.

Giants Barber, had 206 yds and a td, including a 59 yd on first play.

Then Bucs Simms, has 279 yds, and a 80 sumthing, maybe, yd drive to tie the game.

Even though we are ranked 7th, It seems like our offense really is holding us up in most of the game, probably all except bears. But last year we never saw big plays on the redskins, now everybody including amateur Simms putting up big stats on us.

I personally think our secondary needs to start stepping up and play well specially taylor, if we dont were gonna keep losing these close games we can beat. We missed him badly last game. Walt Harris, ugh! Im disappointed in his performance at TB.

This is not the defense we had a year ago in my opinion, we never let nig plays happen on us this frequently.

What do you think.

Yah I agree with yall, our pass rush has sucked big time, which in turn has made it hard for the secondary.

So what makes you think that its gonna be any diffrent this time around?

Hopefully gregg has worked up a good pass rushscheme and coverages after that tb game.

Even though we are ranked 7th, It seems like our offense really is holding us up in most of the game, probably all except bears. But last year we never saw big plays on the redskins, now everybody including amateur Simms putting up big stats on us.

I'd like to suggest that you ignore the rankings which are based on deceptive stats. The most reliable statistic is points scored for and against (PF 187, PA 185). We are 17th in the league in both stats, so we're average.

We have had key injuries on defense and our blitzes have not been as successful this year, so our defense has regressed while our offense, which has been relatively healthy, has improved.

I suggest you ignore all the stats that go against the point I am trying to make. Clearly they are deceptive because they disagree with me. If a fact makes me look wrong, the fact must be wrong. Not me. I can't be wrong.

The fact that we are 7th in yards allowed is not deceptive. However, that statistic is most commonly used to gauge the caliber of a team's defense, which can be deceptive.

Our defense is far below normal in forcing turnovers. No, forcing turnovers is not the defense's responsibility, but in evaluating the effectiveness of a defense, it is crucial. We are also benefited by an offense that controls time of possession.

Obviously, the defense has suffered letdowns in several recent games, allowing some big runs. My feeling about the LAST game against TB is this. The entire problem was the loss of Sean Taylor, Griffin, and the horrible game plan.

Williams always does a good bit of blitzing, including cornerbacks. With Griffin out, he did even more. Normally, with Tayor to cover top receivers, he can get away with it. But against TB, there were situations with Springs blitzing and Galloway covered by a slow safety or LINEBACKERS, which is ridiculous. We got burned over and over on that, and never stopped doing it.

Of course, it also doesn't help that Harris' play has taken a huge downturn since he came back from his injury. Is he really healthy???

As far as a lack of a pass rush being the problem this year, I don't think that's it. This D didn't have a pass rush last year either and the D overall was outstanding all year. As far as what is the problem with the D this year, I don't know. I do know it's merely a shell of a D compared to lat year's unit.

The fact that we are 7th in yards allowed is not deceptive. However, that statistic is most commonly used to gauge the caliber of a team's defense, which can be deceptive.

Our defense is far below normal in forcing turnovers. No, forcing turnovers is not the defense's responsibility, but in evaluating the effectiveness of a defense, it is crucial. We are also benefited by an offense that controls time of possession.

Actually my point was that you can't just pick and choose which stats to look at.

Our defense has always had a problem getting turnovers, even last year. This year we are turning the ball over a lot more, though, so it makes the problem more visible.

Turnovers don't help, but that doesn't explain why the D keeps giving these long TD drives, and many of them are given up at crucial points of the game that end up costing us the game. The mark of a great D is putting the clamps down when they have to seal a win. This unit just isn't getting that done.

I mean, at Dallas, Bledsoe put up a 70 yd pass for a score. and vs Seattle, Hasselbeck lit us up all over the field including a 90 yd drive to tie the game.

Broncos, Bell, ran 2 tds on 30+ runs or something liek that.

Giants Barber, had 206 yds and a td, including a 59 yd on first play.

Then Bucs Simms, has 279 yds, and a 80 sumthing, maybe, yd drive to tie the game.

I personally think our secondary needs to start stepping up and play well specially taylor, if we dont were gonna keep losing these close games we can beat. We missed him badly last game. Walt Harris, ugh! Im disappointed in his performance at TB.

This is not the defense we had a year ago in my opinion, we never let nig plays happen on us this frequently.

What do you think.

I think we have an inconsistant defense.

Blondie

Archived