Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I'm Depressed :(

project myu

Well, I am graduating this spring from James Madison University, double-majoring in International Business and Finance. So, of course this means I need to find a job.

I took some tests and interviewed with Capital One for an analyst position and made it to the final round, which involved a couple of case study interviews and a behavioral interview at the McLean office. As far as I know, only one other person from JMU made it to the final round, and she went to the Richmond office and wasn't extended an offer either. We were pretty much up against scores of people from top schools such as John Hopkins University, Cornell, University of Virginia, etc. Funny enough, at my on-site interview, none of the other interviewees were business majors at all. There were at least a couple of ridiculously smart guys from India who were obtaining their masters in engineering at American universities. In case you haven't realized it by now, I choked (or wasn't good enough) and was not extended an offer.

Quantitative analysis and problem solving are my strong suits, so the Capital One job would've been perfect for me. The pay wouldn't have been bad at all, either, starting at 55k.

So now, I'm still left looking for a job that I want to do. Most of the jobs available to finance majors seem to involve sales, whether it be as a financial advisor or a loan officer, and personally, I don't feel like it is something that I would enjoy or be good at.

Yeah, I'm depressed about this whole job-seeking thing.

Anyone have any suggestions for a soon-to-be college graduate looking for an entry-level analyst job? What other companies that aren't recruiting at my school should I look at?

what about a brokerage firm? FDIC (I have a close friend there in the Arlington location)

or The World Bank (I know a couple there). Or the OAS Organization of American States (have another good friend who is long time attorney there). State dept. , FBI, CIA, DOD.... put in 20 retire in your 40's with a pension, and become a realator or some ****.

How about getting the military to pay you, and for grad school, and do 4 years in the service as an officer? Marry a womyn fighter pilot and have brats.

Think outside the box.... evaluate what would truly be your dream job. Then... think positively that you're going to get that job.... do all the things that would move you TOWARDS that objective.... and expect the offer. Come on.... Captial One isn't the end all employer in the country.

I would be depressed if I was leaving that school too... I heard ya'll party hard and the girls are freaks over there. As for the job thing, I just screwed around for a little while and then went back to school. Maybe you outta do the same?

heeeey now...I went to JMU. We partied hard (definitely a lot harder than they party nowadays down there)...and freaks? Some of 'em, but that's expected at any college.

J M U DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUKES!

Smile. You're a graduate of the best university in Virginia :D My college roommate was an ISAT major and she got a job starting at 56K at Northrup Grumman...not bad, considering she only had a B.S. Now, I know you weren't an ISAT major but you CAN get a good job, even if you're up against some tough competition from schools such as those. I believe everything happens for a reason, and the reason you're not getting job offers now is because you haven't yet found the job you're really supposed to be at. Yes, it is frustrating. Yes, you don't believe me. But trust me. It will come.

I am not a Quantitative Finance major but now that I look back on it, that would probably have been the best degree for me. I actually started out as an International Business major, and in my senior year (right now), I tacked on Finance as my second major.

But no regrets about my current majors, as it allowed me to go to Japan for the summer and whatnot.

I'm not particularly interested in joining the military due to personal reasons of attachment.

And it's good to see other JMU students and alumni on the board! Thanks for all the words of encouragement and suggestions.. Will be checking out FDIC and World Bank and so on.

if anyone has any suggestions for a History Major who has an interest in law and government, that would be great as well. I am also graduating JMU soon, and need to find a job as well. I plan to take the year off then hopefully get into a law school and go there. Any help is great, thanks!

Archived