Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

celebrations in the nfl

Leonard Washington

how about if a guy falls on his back to celebrate the touchdown and gets a penalty for going to the ground (like in yesterdays game, redskins vs seahawks). i dont see how thats unsportsmanlike conduct.

Rules are rules... the player know them and should know not to break them... doesnt matter if we agree with it or not, it can mean the difference in field position or maybe even the game for your team - my advice, stay your happy ass standing and do a flip or something. Besides, no one celebrates better than Gus Frerotte!

I guess I'm not one for players antics. I like the Barry Sanders and John Riggins of the game. No celebrations. It's a team game. Go back to the sidelines and celebrate with your teamates. I especially hate antics in the middle of the field. Santana's ball spinning. Michael Irvin's first down stretch. Gastineau's sack dance. Just can't stand them. I'm more tolorant of endzone celebrations although I literally wanted to beat the **** out of Butch Johnson of Dallass whenever he went to his knees with his guns a blazin' celebration.

I think it's natural to celebrate a little when you score. It's human. It can be taken too far of course and cross the line from celebration to obnoxious. Having said that I find something decidedly depressing about those that don't celebrate at all and just flip the ball to the ref. Lighten up and remember it's a GAME.

It's a demonstration of personality.

Just like all of us. Some of us are ball flippers.. some of us are more flamboyant.

So long as it's not something that can be easily construed as offensive (ie: use common sense when working out your celebration routine.) then have at it.

I think if they really wanted to make some rules, have the celebration timed. Within ten seconds of the ball going over, the scoring team must vacate the end zone and head for the sideline.

~Bang

You see it too with scuffles on the field - the networks seem to miss those too often because they want to show a super closeup of some player instead of the scuffle on the field.

I am pretty sure this is totally intentional on the part of the networks. The NFL is very caught up in their own image-- and I feel like the minor scuffles are ignored on purpose, much like when a fan runs on to the field. When a penalty is called for fighting, however, they are pretty much obligated to show the replay.

I imagine NFL games are broadcasted similarly to the evening news. The director sits infront of like 16 TVs (each camera man is assigned to one) while he decides which one to cut to and when. Live television can get tricky because human error is involved.

For example, I felt like Fox's broadcast of the Skins/Seahawks yesterday was one of the sloppiest productions I have seen in a while. The replays were not coming in a timely manor... The camera angles the director chose were very questionable at times... And Jim Mora proved once again that he's is pretty much terrible at everything he does. (You get what you pay for, and obviously the top dogs around the league were not going to cover such a meaningless game.)

And while he did go to the ground, I think he actually fell because of his goofing around rather than use the ground as a prop.

~Bang

Watch the replay again... It was part of his celebration and it was really ****ing rad.

I hate the antics it is beyond ridiculous; I agree with Costas said yesterday. ]

Costas made some good points. However, I feel the argument loses some weight because I watched his ilk deny Art Monk, the epitome of a model NFL player, year after year, with one of the main arguments against him being that he didn't have a signature catch. Monk is not the only good player to be snubbed by the HoF, which is decided by writers. So if Costas et al truly want players to be simple and classy with celebrating, then I feel their votes should reflect that desire, which overall I don't believe they have.

They were talking about our celebrations on the Sports Fix today on 980. Talking about how our receivers like to celebrate after they have a catch and whatnot. Then they said that the Patriots, Colts, and Saints don't do they type of stuff, that is why they are winning games....

Obviously they haven't watched many Green Bay games because they are celebrating all the time and they are 11-0. Celebrating does not have that much impact on a game. It might make you look stupid every now and then, but I don't think the impact is that bad.

They were talking about our celebrations on the Sports Fix today on 980. Talking about how our receivers like to celebrate after they have a catch and whatnot.

More than once I have watched Davis celebrate a catch in final minutes with us behind, instead of putting the ball down and hurrying back to the huddle. They are more interested in showing their asses than for the team winning

Archived