Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

celebrations in the nfl

Leonard Washington

• 6 years later...

I hate the antics it is beyond ridiculous; I agree with Costas said yesterday . If i wanted to watch clowns and strongmen flexing I would go to the circus

http://youtu.be/m2832oXDR5w

For those of you too busy keeping up with the Kardashians to notice, we live in a culture that in many ways grows more stupid and graceless by the moment. Sports both reflects and influences that sorry trend, so on playing fields everywhere, true style is in decline, while mindless exhibitionism abounds.

In the late ’60's, the Giants had a receiver named Homer Jones. He invented the spike — and it was great; a simple, elegant punctuation that somehow has devolved into this…(video of excessive celebrations)

Given the tone of the times, it’s probably too much to expect that most players would appreciate that back in the day, this guy (Barry Sanders) was much cooler than this guy (Mark Gastineau), or that there is a difference between spontaneous and/or good-natured displays of enthusiasm and calculated displays of obnoxious self-indulgence. No, that train has already gone so far down the wrong track, there’s probably no turning back.

So our suggestion here is a more modest one: hey, knuckleheads, is it too much to ask that you confine your buffoonery to situations that don’t directly damage your team? Week after week, game after game, we see guys who think nothing of incurring penalties for unsportsmanlike conduct, costing their team’s valuable yardage, even late in close games.

Today’s most conspicuous culprit: Buffalo’s Stevie Johnson, who after a TD catch versus the Jets, thought it would be a good idea to go Marcel Marceau, pantomiming, among other things, Plaxico Burress shooting himself in the leg. But in this case, it was Johnson, who shot himself in the foot, as his display cost his team a 15-yard penalty on the ensuing kickoff. And given a short field, the Jets proceeded to score in a critical game that wound up, 28-24, New York.

Which raises this question: where are the coaches in all this? Guys are routinely benched or called out for blown assignments. When is a coach going to make an overdue statement and sit a guy down on the grounds of pure selfishness and unprofessionalism detrimental to his team?

By the way, late in the loss to the Jets, Johnson dropped a pass that could have led to a Buffalo win. Shockingly, he didn’t follow it with a rehearsed “my bad” dance of apology. Maybe he just forgot.

Imagine the same thing in other sports. If a player males a great pass in Hockey then starts skating circles and waging his finge adn yet no goal was scored. Gets a single in baseball and being down 10 runs goes jumping up and down and beating his chest and pointing at the pitcher.

Tashard Choice last week was a prime example, he gets a 8 yrd run and acts like he scored the winning td in a superbowl. . Landry waging his finger at some buy while we are down 14 pts or Fred Davis catching a 10yrd pass and celebrating while it is less than 2 mins to play and we are in a hurry up

\What you call individuality I call clowning. I want to watch football not the clown posse

Imagine the same thing in other sports. If a player males a great pass in Hockey then starts skating circles and waging his finge adn yet no goal was scored. Gets a single in baseball and being down 10 runs goes jumping up and down and beating his chest and pointing at the pitcher.

Tashard Choice last week was a prime example, he gets a 8 yrd run and acts like he scored the winning td in a superbowl. . Landry waging his finger at some buy while we are down 14 pts or Fred Davis catching a 10yrd pass and celebrating while it is less than 2 mins to play and we are in a hurry up

\What you call individuality I call clowning. I want to watch football not the clown posse

This pretty much sums up my feelings as well.

I don't think you would find anyone who disagrees with you on this, but when somebody gets into the endzone let them celebrate. I think the Steve Johnson thing was totally classless, who is he to be taking shots at another WR on the opposing team, and I'm glad that he ended up losing the game for his team.

a) Touchdowns are hard to come by in the NFL, let them celebrate.

B) However, for non TD's or big plays, shutup and do your job. Jumping around after giving up 8 yards on 1st and 10 or after giving up 40 yards on a play action. Oh, bu it's okay, you got a big hit in at the end of it. No, you failed and gave up 40. Shutup and take those antics elsewhere unless you make a big play.

I don't have a problem with the celebrations.

The NFL has a problem with individuality, and it sucks.

~Bang

This. It's a bloody game, folks. It's really not a big deal. Do I particularly like them? No (though some do make me laugh) but it's just a game. They catch/run with a ball for a living. It's not like we're going to see Secretary of State Clinton do the Iggy Shuffle during a meeting with Chinese dignitaries.

Now, doing big celebraties for unimportant plays is stupid. Touchdowns, though, that's alright by me.

~Bang

I don't either, but the question became about 10 years ago with TO's antics, "how much is too much."

If I'm the ref, after they score a TD, I would let them do whatever they wanted, but I would mark the ball ready for play to kick the XP no matter how long the buffoon wants to celebrate.

Back to the OP's main point... yes the networks are too trigger happy on switching camera shots. The school of thought seems to be that lots of cuts to different camera angles creates a sense of excitement more than longer static shots. As a result they miss a lot of things the viewers would want to see.

I mentioned this a week or so ago - the network missed the handshake between two rival coaches at the end of the game because they got too cute with different camera shots right at the key moment. You see it too with scuffles on the field - the networks seem to miss those too often because they want to show a super closeup of some player instead of the scuffle on the field.

They are OK as long as it does not cause a penalty. Now when it causes a penalty, then the coach needs to straight up bench that dumbass for being ignorant and not knowing the limits. Also, like T.O. used to do when he had "choreographed dances", he should just lose his man card for that or move back to San Francisco where that is accepted between two men...

I don't either, but the question became about 10 years ago with TO's antics, "how much is too much."

If I'm the ref, after they score a TD, I would let them do whatever they wanted, but I would mark the ball ready for play to kick the XP no matter how long the buffoon wants to celebrate.

I think too much is when they start using pre-arranged props.

The sharpie,, the cell phone.. that's too much. But TO grabbing the cheerleader's pompoms,, the popcorn he dumped on his face,, those are fine. (How could a person not laugh when TO mocked Ray Lewis' dance in the end zone?)

Some of them are funny in their act,, like Stevie Johnson's homage to Plaxico yesterday was pretty damn funny.

But it's also VERY funny and interesting that his antics cost his team dearly, and it all was eventually rubbed right back in his face.

To me, that is part of the essence of sports.

We play sports to establish superiority. I am better than you. My ability beat yours.

And part of that is bravado. And the flipside of bravado is it tends to instill a reason in your opponent to want to beat you all the more... like Stevie Johnson yesterday. And even though the Jets didn't put together that winning drive just to rub Johnson's nose in his premature celebration, that is part of what happened with their win.

And that's fun!

~Bang

~Bang

I have a problem with celebrations when they draw penalties like Stevie Johnson of the Bills yesterday. A 15 yard penalty is pretty much giving the other team a score.

I have a problem with celebrations when they draw penalties like Stevie Johnson of the Bills yesterday. A 15 yard penalty is pretty much giving the other team a score.
Doesn't help when the kickoff goes only 16 yards :anon:

I agree, but I'll add that it should not be a penalty to start with.

And while he did go to the ground, I think he actually fell because of his goofing around rather than use the ground as a prop.

~Bang

i think daniel tosh says it best

"I don't care if he gets in the endzone and has a 10 minute tea party. Just don't get mad at me when you're getting carted off the field because some free safety took your head off and you see me in the stands going 'hoo hoo hoo.... YES! Dance now you overpaid clown! How does it feel to know God hates you? Don't worry maybe v8 will sponsor a vegetable"

They are OK as long as it does not cause a penalty. Now when it causes a penalty, then the coach needs to straight up bench that dumbass for being ignorant and not knowing the limits. Also, like T.O. used to do when he had "choreographed dances", he should just lose his man card for that or move back to San Francisco where that is accepted between two men...

how about if a guy falls on his back to celebrate the touchdown and gets a penalty for going to the ground (like in yesterdays game, redskins vs seahawks). i dont see how thats unsportsmanlike conduct.

God Daniel Tosh is hilarious.

I don't think all touchdowns should be celebrated though.

If you make an amazing 68 yard catch to give your team the lead, fine, make a fool out of yourself. At least you earned it. If you poke the nose of the ball over the goal line on a 1/2 yard dive play, I don't want to see you doing a stripper dance on the goal post.

And for the record, I think Fred Davis might do the worst celebrations of anyone in the league. He looks like an idiot.

Archived