Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beginning of Time

Cdowwe

This is a question for people who do not believe the Universe was created by God. Obviously if you believe God did, its your faith. I was just curious how the rest of you think it was created...and if you say Big Bang...what started the Big Bang. If you say molecules crashing together...what created those. I just wonder where your beginning is?

I read in a magazine a theory on a layered multiverse. It essentially had multiple universes stacked in proximity to each other. Occasoinally they would touch and when that happened you would have your quasi "Big Bang" . Wish I could find a link to the artticle it explained it much better than I can. I believe it was in Discover Magazine about a year ago.

Who says there was a "beginning" of time?

Just a thought.

I am not going to argue that point, because it is highly philisophical and there is no answer.

But I think it is worth pointing out that the prevailing viewpoint held by Scientists is that there was a singularity.

This is a question for people who do not believe the Universe was created by God. Obviously if you believe God did, its your faith. I was just curious how the rest of you think it was created...and if you say Big Bang...what started the Big Bang. If you say molecules crashing together...what created those. I just wonder where your beginning is?

I struggle with this question a lot, but the fact is that it's easily reversed. Where did God come from, if you believe he exists and has existed from the beginning of time? This may be one of the questions that's simply beyond human comprehension.

Got no freaking idea.

Couple hundred years ago we didn't know anything about atomic structure, or bacteria and viruses, or radiation, or tons of other things. But the information was there for the finding, once we knew how to look.

Lots of things we don't know. That's why we keep investigating, questioning, hypothesizing, testing, searching for tangible evidence. That is why we have science.

An associate I work with says that a big bang can spontaniously appear out of empty space every 10^20 years. . . I don't know if I buy it, but it is coming from somebody a lot smarter then I am. So in otherwords, I don't know what caused "it", but I do believe "it" was the big bang.

This isn't as tough as you would think. The answer is that there is no answer. There is no such thing as before time. There is no answer to what caused the big bang. You have to get used to that if you want to get anywhere in physics. Where is the bullet which is moving at exactly 20 m/s? There is no answer. You cannot ask that question.

I think it all goes back to the fact that you are using some poor logic. Nothing "caused" the big bang. Causation is a flawed concept that leads to asking all sorts of wrong questions.

This isn't as tough as you would think. The answer is that there is no answer. There is no such thing as before time. There is no answer to what caused the big bang. You have to get used to that if you want to get anywhere in physics. Where is the bullet which is moving at exactly 20 m/s? There is no answer. You cannot ask that question.

I think it all goes back to the fact that you are using some poor logic. Nothing "caused" the big bang. Causation is a flawed concept that leads to asking all sorts of wrong questions.

Well if you believe in the Big Bang, Im guessing you believe SOMETHING caused it. I just figured someone would have some scientific explanation or something to back it up.

Is there no answer because we are too ignorant to calculate it or is there no answer because there is truly nothing left to figure?

hmmm, perhaps I misunderstood your question.

There is plenty for science to understand, even about the big bang. We don't know what space time singularities really are. We can't even understand black holes, so there is plenty to be learned.

We know general relativity is wrong, and it is general relativity that predicts a big bang. Most scientists believe that even with a modified theory of gravity there will still be some kind of big bang.

Even with our new theories though, time might have a beginning, and go no further. There's no problem with that. My comment referred to the fact that "before" the big bang does not exist. Therefore there is nothing for science to do. There is still plenty of science for us to do for the things inside the universe.

So, what you're saying is that "time" did not exist before the big bang? Even so, that doesn't mean that nothing existed before time. Which, I guess isn't really the question of this thread...

my whole point is that I think the question is poorly phrased and isn't likely to ever be answered to his satisfaction. There is no answer. Even saying there was nothing is misleading becasueit almost implies that there was somewhere where there could be something, but that doesn't make sense.

Tarhog

You are a man of great wisdom. I shall fashion an idol of you from pizza crusts. Surely, the sacrifices I offer to it will give me a direct line to your infinite knowledge and grace.

Perhaps a giant Nipple of Gold might please the Gods?

Then - we shall sacrifice a Virgin. Once we establish indisputable criteria, that is.

(and then we have to find one!)

Archived