Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gardener injury not serious and Ray Brown may be signed

jkam

Getting Ray Brown would be wonderful. It would fix the LG problem, allow Moore to play center and Tucker guard, allow Jones to play backup tackle, and take pressure off the rest of the others to be productive immediately. The last issue is important because it will allow intelligent roster decisions -- selecting players to develop for the long haul, and not overly weighting immediate productivity (which would favor keeping a mediocre veteran over a promising rookie).

It would also shut me up a bit about Helton, since he could focus primarily on getting Tucker ready to start at RG and the entire starting unit (less Samuels temporarily) to function as a unit, instead of playing musical chairs with the OL in hopes of a magic combination.

It would be especially great if Brown were signed immediately and could play Sunday, allowing Jones to play LT and the rest of the players to play their slotted starting positions.

this is a cold dose of reality...in the pre-season, even guys with chronic injuries are expected to romp through the season unscathed...everyone's team gets all the breaks...I'm happy that Gardener seems to be OK, but considering this was his first game action and it was for 1 quarter...not encouraging...hopefully this was just a backfire and once he gets the engine started, everything will be kool.

"It would also shut me up a bit about Helton" Hmmmm. I'm not sure I'm buying that one. I'll get back to ya. :D certainly Ray Brown is a great pick up, if he continues to play at the level he did last year. Tough for a guy what? 39? but I'm biased about "that" age. :cool:

"and take pressure off the rest of the others to be productive immediately." Well, maybe not immediately, but before the season starts would be nice. According to the coaches, if memory serves, the blocking schemes for the Oline in S.S's offense are fairly simple as football goes. These guys can't handle the pressure or responsibilities......bye!.

From the article...... "The Redskins plan to try to sign Brown if they're unable to trade for a younger offensive lineman and perhaps could complete a deal by the end of next week, according to sources." Someone say trade?

Originally posted by Park City Skins

From the article...... "The Redskins plan to try to sign Brown if they're unable to trade for a younger offensive lineman and perhaps could complete a deal by the end of next week, according to sources." Someone say trade?

My guess is that they're playing Brown against some team (Bears?) who has a guard to trade, which is intelligent, lest the Redskins be hijacked for a overly high salary for Brown or a disproportionate trade favoring the other team.

Personally I'd favor carrying through with both plans. Sign Brown to be the 2002 starting LG, and trade for Gandy or some similar promising young guard to develop for 2003 and beyond. By all accounts, no one else on the roster looks capable of being a starter ever (aside from Moore and Tucker, already slotted as starters). So to solidify 2002 depth and avoid another crisis in 2003, trading for a good young guard to play behind Brown and Tucker would be smart.

As for what we trade, I'd favor trading a receiver (or Sage) over a 2003 draft pick. We have seven good receivers, plus Russell in 2003, and that's simply too many. We also have four QBs, and that's too many. Why waste a pick we'll need in 2003 when we have surplus players now who we need to unload?

ASF good flex on those moves.

As far as Gardener's back spasms go, I had back surgery, and it took about a year for the muscles to respond the adjustments of signals from the brain. That is, my taking for granted all the little movements that I didn't pay attention to, got magnified in the pain department. That's all it is, pain from the adjustments.

He'll be fine, and the more reps he does before the season opener, is not as important as strength, stretching, WALKING, and the various exercises to help with agility. He knows what to do on the line. So now he can focus, like Samuels on getting some coordination back, and the pain down.

Always a possibliity ASF. Agreed. Playing one against the other. My question is who are the Redskins looking to trade, ( that's assuming that this article has some kind of truth to it....reach). Would help in figuring out who and what kind of talent they want in return. I certainly wouldn't expect a blockbuster or anything, ( can you say that in the same sentence as Guard?).

If Ray Brown is healthy and really WANTS to play (for reasonable wages), that would be a NICE addition to our OL.

If this is true, gimme one more interior OL and o LORDY, "Look Out for the Skins" will be the watchword of the NFL:cool:

Is this cool/groovy or what:high: :pint::cheers: Salute, my brothers and sisters:laugh:

PCS, I am guessing that we are able to let go of two receivers(1 being Skaggs), a RB (Watson), and a db for an equivalent in a somewhat younger (at least than Brown) OG. Say no older than 30, with a good grounding in both pass and run blocking, though, maybe not as dominant, but at least steady. He could spell either OG or at least for Brown.

Then again, when is there another deadline on trades???

Originally posted by indyskinsfan

PCS, I am guessing that we are able to let go of two receivers(1 being Skaggs), a RB (Watson), and a db for an equivalent in a somewhat younger (at least than Brown) OG. Say no older than 30, with a good grounding in both pass and run blocking, though, maybe not as dominant, but at least steady. He could spell either OG or at least for Brown.

Skaggs and Watson couldn't be traded for the airfare it would take to get them to another city.

Wait a sec -- didn't Marty keep Skaggs on the p-squad all last year? Oh, Marty . . . . Marty . . . .

On potential trade bait:

Could spurrier have "showcased" R. Anthony as trade bait?

He had said he wanted to focus on him in the Panther game... could something have been quietly in the works then?

There's only certain players on the roster that are tradable, (with limited trade worth or otherwise.)

(minus the No way in HELL do we trade that player such as Lavar, champ, smoot.....)

Mitchell or pierce at LB, Thompson, McCants, lockett, J. Green, at WR. Sage or mathews would be the best bets.

As far as Skaggs and Emmit Johnson, they are quietly being worked out of the rotation. I'm wondering if one or both get cut and brought back to the practice squad.

Trade? Yeah, the boyz are gonna give us Eric Allen for Anthony, Skaggs &, aw sh!t. We have to trade cities, ala Irsay & Rosembloom(sp) like the Colts and Rams did:laugh:

I just can't see our kids in silver and blue. To see any other NFL team in burgundy and gold is a sacrilege. That's just not funny:doh: :cry:

Archived