Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Woman Puts Her Boyfriend Up For Auction

China

NEED A FRIEND? BID FOR MY JEFF!

10:30 - 18 November 2005

Verity Smith is selling something close to her heart for Children in Need - her boyfriend.

She has put Jeff Kingston on an online auction site as a rent-a-friend. The enterprising 26-year-old came up with the idea after she saw an invisible homing pigeon make £10 on the site.

She said: "I thought if they can get £10, auctioning Jeff isn't a bad idea."

The ad offers an "All new Jeffers model". It reads: "An upgrade to the Jeff model of 2004, the all new Jeffers rent-a-friend can offer you a list of amazing features."

They include indifference in all conversation, being likely to blank you in the street, consistently being 30 minutes late, severe dependance on vodka for any trip out of the house and being in a considerably used condition.

The winning bidder will get a certificate to prove Jeffers (pictured) is their friend and he will email at least once.

Today 23 people had made bids, raising the initial price of one penny to £5.10.

Verity hopes to raise £100 for Children in Need and has asked friends and family to bid.

The customer services adviser said: "They think it's funny. My parents find it amusing.

"A lot of people our age don't give much to charity but a lot of them use the internet, so we hope to attract people who wouldn't normally give. I'd love to raise £100."

The auction finishes at about 4pm on November 21. Verity said: "It's a bit tongue-in-cheek because we're selling him as a bad friend. He's happy to make money for a good cause."

It is Verity's first effort at fundraising. She said: "I did random bits and bobs at school - never something major off my own back like this. I hope people will part with their cash."

Are you doing something for Children In Need? If so, please call the newsdesk on 01242 271822 or email news@glosecho.co.uk

"A lot of people our age don't give much to charity but a lot of them use the internet."

Call me dumb (no, please don't really :laugh: ) but was is the conversion in American dollars?

I always hear stories about crazy stuff like a cheetoe the shape of elvis or something being sold for crazy money on ebay.....I even heard that someone sold their soul on ebay :laugh: :doh:

Call me dumb (no' date=' please don't really :laugh: ) but was is the conversion in American dollars?

I always hear stories about crazy stuff like a cheetoe the shape of elvis or something being sold for crazy money on ebay.....I even heard that someone sold their soul on ebay :laugh: :doh:[/quote']

Current conversion rate is about $1.71 to the pound.

Archived