Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DT/DE free agents.... Who should we target?!

illone

Did Bush mislead Americans about the "Imminent Threat" Hussein posed?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Did Bush mislead Americans about the "Imminent Threat" Hussein posed?

I used cp26allday's thread and decided to pull out all the DT/DE guys on the list in a easier to read format.

With all the recent pass rush ineptitude, it's safe to say MOST here want some shoreing up of the dline this upcoming off-season. I have been wanting to draft or pick up a solid true pass rusher for a few years now, although I thought we could get by with Greg Williams' blitzing system this season. That hasn't been the case so I really feel we're gonna do something in free agency next season. Drafting a young player won't help us next year and I do hope we go that route as well, but free agency will help us immediately.

I'll comment on who I want after I investigate each player. Feel free to chime in on who you like.

Clearly this list will change as players sign deals, etc. This thread will get lost during the regular season but I wanted to compile the list because it's slow at work right before the holidays and I wanted a reference point for potential free agents so we can all discuss ahead of time who will help the most.

I'll save it and add info as it comes available.

Anyways, here is the list, by team:

Buffalo: DE Ryan Denney; DT Justin Bannan

New York Jets: DE John Abraham

Cleveland: DE Orpheus Roye; DT Ethan Kelley (RFA)

Cincinnati: DE Carl Powell

Baltimore: DT Ma'ake Kemoeatu; DE Jarret Johnson (RFA); DT Aubrayo Franklin (RFA)

Indianapolis: DE Raheem Brock; DT Larry Tripplett; DE Robert Mathis (RFA)

Jacksonville: DE Marcellus Wiley

Tennessee: DE Kyle Vanden Bosch

Denver: DT Monsanto Pope; DT Demtrin Veal (RFA); DE Marco Coleman

Oakland: DT Terdell Sands; DT Edward Jasper; DT Kenny Smith

Kansas City: DT Lional Dalton; DE Jimmy Wilkerson (RFA); DE Carlos Hall

San Diego: DE DeQuincy Scott; DE Jacques Cesaire (RFA)

Dallas: DT Willie Blade

Philly: DE N.D. Kalu; DE Juqua Thomas

NY Giants: DT Kendrick Clancy; DT Kenderick Allen (RFA)

Minnesota: DE Lance Johnstone

Detroit: DE Jared DeVries; DE Kalimba Edwards

Green Bay: DE Aaron Kampman; DT Grady Jackson

Carolina: DT Kindal Moorehead (RFA); DE Kemp Rasmussen

New Orleans: DE Willie Whitehead; DE Darren Howard

Tampa Bay: DT Chris Hovan

Atlanta: DE Antwan Lake

Arizona: DE Ross Kolodziej; DE Antonio Cochran; DE Kenny King (RFA); DT Langston Moore (RFA); DE R-Kal Truluck

St. Louis: DE Tyoka Jackson; DT Damione Lewis; DE Brandon Green (RFA)

Seattle: DE Rodney Bailey; DT Rocky Bernard; DE Joe Tafoya

San Fransisco: DE Travis Hall

its funny how some of those guys are people we cut before. we have the same problem

with pass rushers as we do with qbs, perform now or we'll run you out of town. :laugh:

from that list i like.

Buffalo: DE Ryan Denney; DT Justin Bannan

New York Jets: DE John Abraham

Indianapolis: DE Raheem Brock; DT Larry Tripplett; DE Robert Mathis (RFA)

Tennessee: DE Kyle Vanden Bosch

Arizona: DE Ross Kolodziej; DE Antonio Cochran; DE Kenny King (RFA); DT Langston Moore (RFA); DE R-Kal Truluck

I hope we make a move for Darren Howard from the Saints. He isn't having his best year and I'm sure he doesn't wanna stay with that team. Could be a steal. Can rush the passer and is a sure tackler. Has a rep to take plays off, and not give 100% effort every down, but I remember people saying those things about Cornelius.

some other guys might be too expensive

John Abraham comes out with a lot of tackles and isnt too old, this is his 6th year so he has experience.

Grady Jackson and Marcellus Wiley jump out too but they are a little old, both being at their 9th year

I would definitely pick some D-Line up in the draft though. Sub them in and out as to keep fresh linemen in... It's no secret we need a big boost there though.

I hope we make a move for Darren Howard from the Saints. He isn't having his best year and I'm sure he doesn't wanna stay with that team. Could be a steal. Can rush the passer and is a sure tackler. Has a rep to take plays off, and not give 100% effort every down, but I remember people saying those things about Cornelius.

some other guys might be too expensive

Howard won't exactly be a 'cheap' option.

One thing is that we won't absorb any exorbitant cap hits from disgruntled players. We may be able to afford someone 'expensive'.

Robert Mathis and John Abraham, in FA. Daryl Tapp in the draft.

For our CB problem i think we should try and pry Nate Clements away from buffalo.

I think we'll have enough loot to target a high priced CB or DE. Not both. Plus I think Rogers can and will emerge as a solid #2 eventual #1 CB for us. We need some utility depth there, not a true #1 DB.

Daryl Tapp is a 1st rounder and we don't have one:(.

Robert Mathis and John Abraham, in FA. Daryl Tapp in the draft.

For our CB problem i think we should try and pry Nate Clements away from buffalo.

You are crazy if you think we could do that. This isn't Madden..I really like Mathis, although he obviously is aided by the fact that he Freeney opposite him. He is a RFA, so he could very well stay where he is, especially if Indy gets close, but doesnt win the super bowl. I like Tripplett as well, but I'd imagine he will resign.

Instead of Clements, I would go with Deshea Townsend from Pittsburgh. He plays in an attacking system, is cheap, and underrated. He would provide quality depth (injuries there have been a problem this season), and could fight for the starting spot next year with Rogers. If Townsend would be open to possibly moving to Nickel in the near future, I would sign him quick.

Howard won't exactly be a 'cheap' option.

One thing is that we won't absorb any exorbitant cap hits from disgruntled players. We may be able to afford someone 'expensive'.

hmm maybe your right. Looks like they franchised him in 2004. I thought he wasn't happy in NO. For that money we might as well make a play for Mathis.

I think we'll have enough loot to target a high priced CB or DE. Not both. Plus I think Rogers can and will emerge as a solid #2 eventual #1 CB for us. We need some utility depth there, not a true #1 DB.

Daryl Tapp is a 1st rounder and we don't have one:(.

I dont think so...he'll end up in the second. First to mid second round pick. I would like Mario Williams a ton though. He is a stud!

These are the D-lineman we should get...

Daryll Tapp- Havnt heard much about him accept he is from virginia tech, hes a great pass rusher and d-lineman and could provide us some youth.

Dwight Freeney- Yes i know possibility is he wont become a FA and will re-sign with the colts if they have the cap room. BUT if they dont i suggest going snyder style towards dwight freeney. If we cant get him i think we should get john abraham becuase HE WILL wanna get out of new york and darren howard if we cant get dwight or abraham becuase darren wont want to stay in new orleans especially with the mess that franchise is in right now.

Robert Mathis- Only get this guy if we can get a pass rusher like dwight freeney, john abraham, or darren howard to help this guy. He needs talent around him to be great, but if he does hes pretty **** good. If we cant get Mathis i think we should just draft a D-lineman or keep whoever we have there right now.

I think we're fine at DT in regards to starters. Griffin and Sale'vea have been more than sufficient. We could use some more quality depth, though.

We really need to get younger and faster at DE. I'm not much of an analyst when it comes to DEs, so it's hard for me to say who to go after... but we need SOMETHING.

I say we stay conservative and go after the bargain guys. The big name guys will all come with huge price tags and future cap ramifications. In my mind, this eliminates Darren Howard, Robert Mathis, and John Abraham.

I really like Aaron Kampman, the guy has a great motor and is a solid guy who won't cost much. I also like N.D. Kalu and Carlos Hall, former Redskins who we let go.

Robert Mathis would be a great guy to get because of his youth and upside, but unfortunately I think he will be super expensive. Vanden Bosch will be expensive too, but I think he is a one-year wonder and should be avoided at all costs.

The three guys I listed above are good locker room guys, have good motors, and will be cheap. That is who I would go get.

Kampman is the guy to get though, because of the three he is probably the best all-around player, and he is the youngest.

Carlos Rodgers seems like a solid pick and will only get better with experience. Why sign another high-priced corner? Funny how right Gibbs was on this pick by the way... For all those screaming for more offensive a la Mike Williams etc.. Now a year later, everyone wants yet another corner. Seems like Gibbs knew in advance what our biggest problem was going to be.

We need to change the dynamics of our DE position in a big way. The Skins will probably be able to afford one big signing and I think it needs to be a pass rusher. John Abraham all the way. Adding a guy who can consistantly get 12 sacks a season would be huge.

We don't need another corner. Rogers is going to be fine. I think MLB is much more of a need than CB.

We do need a WR to compliment Moss though. Patten is a FA bust so far, and he's not young enough to consider as a long term option anyway. The only way I don't consider this a need is if Jacobs steps up in a big way and finishes out the season strong as our #2 WR.

Archived